Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Do Mai fans feel threatened by Madoka?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Do Mai fans feel threatened by Madoka?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:47 pm

shezaei-neko wrote:I prefer to see Destiny animated. Maybe as OVAs since those usually have more budget and the plot is better adapted.

If we're going in this route, I'd like Mai-HiME Destiny to be at least a 6 part OVA series. All about 50 minutes each. Longer than Mai-Otome Zwei. Akira Okuzaki

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Like the OVAs of Kara no Kyokai or Hellsing?
I approve!!

shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4174
Armitage GUTS!!! : 755

View user profile http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazemon15 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:32 am

For me personally, I do feel "threatened" by Madoka.

Trust me, I watched Madoka all the way through and I absolutely hated it. I thought it was a cheap knockoff at what Mai Hime did, introducing the "shock" factor of killing off it's characters (in a none good way, mind you) and had a very poor attempt to try and be "dark." The problem with Madoka for me is that there was no time to build the characters. I was literally watching the struggle of characters I did not care about, so when they died, I was like...eh, whatever.

IMO, Mai Hime pulls it off so much better. 13 episodes is way too short to tell a dramatic story and have you actually care for any of the characters. It would have been better as a 26 episode series, but I still would have hated it...because Mai Hime did the dramatics first and it barely got the recognition it solely deserved. This is my personal opinion though, not to attack others who do like the series. ^^

Kazemon15
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 35
Armitage GUTS!!! : 14

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/Kazemon15AMVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Kazemon15 wrote:For me personally, I do feel "threatened" by Madoka.

Trust me, I watched Madoka all the way through and I absolutely hated it. I thought it was a cheap knockoff at what Mai Hime did, introducing the "shock" factor of killing off it's characters (in a none good way, mind you) and had a very poor attempt to try and be "dark." The problem with Madoka for me is that there was no time to build the characters. I was literally watching the struggle of characters I did not care about, so when they died, I was like...eh, whatever.

IMO, Mai Hime pulls it off so much better. 13 episodes is way too short to tell a dramatic story and have you actually care for any of the characters. It would have been better as a 26 episode series, but I still would have hated it...because Mai Hime did the dramatics first and it barely got the recognition it solely deserved. This is my personal opinion though, not to attack others who do like the series. ^^

Never be afraid to have an opinion here, Kaze.

Coming from myself who enjoyed both series, I can agree with what you said. We only get to spend a lot of time with two characters in Madoka, Homura and Madoka herself (the canon ship! muahaha). The difference is, we get back story and feel purpose of her mission from Homura the most. Madoka herself just...stands around in the background being indecisive and scared. Madoka's characters weren't as fleshed out as Mai, Natsuki, Nao, Shizuru or even Mikoto for that matter (with the exception of Homura). IMO, Mai-HiME is technically better than Madoka. It may not have the heavy, almost forced symbolism and beautiful artwork of Madoka , but it has everything else. Most importantly: Substance. For it's story and above all - characters.

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sugiura on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:34 pm

I don't feel threatened as a Mai HiME and Mai Otome fan, but as a Precure fan I was terrified

Midori Sugiura
High Priest Brony of Midori-ism

Bubuzuke points : 3740
Armitage GUTS!!! : 251

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Midori Sugiura wrote:I don't feel threatened as a Mai HiME and Mai Otome fan, but as a Precure fan I was terrified

really? Come on, dude! PreCure and Madoka are radically different! Besides, Precure has a lot more content to offer than Madoka. That's...something!

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sugiura on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:02 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Midori Sugiura wrote:I don't feel threatened as a Mai HiME and Mai Otome fan, but as a Precure fan I was terrified

really? Come on, dude! PreCure and Madoka are radically different! Besides, Precure has a lot more content to offer than Madoka. That's...something!

the Mai-Series stood on its own and is radically different to Madoka as well, however Madoka shares some elements with a series like Precure

>Cute Fluffy Mascot
>interesting Villains
>30 second transformation scenes
>Weird and Whimsical monster designs
>Keeps on producing movies

Since Precure is still coming out I felt as if it was more of a threat to the validity of Precure as a Magical Girl series than it was to Mai-HiME/Otome

Midori Sugiura

Bubuzuke points : 3740
Armitage GUTS!!! : 251

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:54 pm

To be fair, Precure is aimed at kids with adults being the periphery demographic while Madoka is aimed at adults and teenagers with much mature tone. Madoka also takes itself seriously and doesn't try to be pointlessly dark.....until Rebellion came. Mai series is down-toearth despite its fanservice and mecha references.

GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 418
Armitage GUTS!!! : 122

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:18 pm

GAP wrote:To be fair, Precure is aimed at kids with adults being the periphery demographic while Madoka is aimed at adults and teenagers with much mature tone. Madoka also takes itself seriously and doesn't try to be pointlessly dark.....until Rebellion came. Mai series is down-toearth despite its fanservice and mecha references.

Rebellion is a masterpiece. Viola

You're right about Mai-HiME/Otome being down to Earth. The minor aspects like the fanservice and mecha references were so minor, I never noticed. To be fair, the fanservice is enjoyable; always done with Tongue-in-cheek fashion rather than blatant obnoxiousness.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:10 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top