Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Prejudice against Dubbies?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Prejudice against Dubbies?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun May 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Believe it or not, there are people who prefer the dub versions of certain anime series. So much that they buy into all the changes made to the original script. My question is, do you feel any sort of hostility towards these individuals? If so, why? If not, then explain yourself.

I may joke around about someone's preference in something, but I'm very tolerant and respect whatever the other enjoys. In this forum's case, my personal philosophy is, if you're a fan then you're welcome. I don't care if Bandai botched Haruka's bubuzuke joke in the dubbing. If you like Mai HiME, you're welcome here and still have a very high chance of becoming my friend. ^_^ As long as you don't HATE Mai HiME and make up rumors trying to pass them off as canon. Like if you said Natsuki had a secret affair with Fro-Teach aka Mr. Sakomizu (...ew?).

I know the Sailor Moon fandom is divided because of the DiC/Cloverway dubbing. There are fans who won't give the Japanese original a second look. I try to be more open minded by enjoying everything, but still embracing the Japanese original more. Simply because there's more honesty in not only the script, but the performances of the seiyuu. Same goes got Mai HiME and Mai Otome.

So discuss your feelings on the matter. Unless you don't know anyone who prefers dubbing. Speaking of which...*cooks up next thread idea*.

Last edited by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42279
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2498

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Prejudice against Dubbies?

Post by Midori Sugiura99 on Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 pm

I only don't like dubbies if they're obnoxious about it. Well, I guess that could be said about anything XD I really don't like dubs and usually will refuse to watch them, as I like to watch things as they were originally intended.

A friend of mine in high school/early college years was an insane dubbie. But he was stupid about it, forcing it upon other people. Its just like anything else, if its not for you, its not for you, no need to rub other people's noses in it.

Midori Sugiura99
Asami Hikaru aka Komu
Asami Hikaru aka Komu

Bubuzuke points : 4724
Armitage GUTS!!! : 913

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun May 09, 2010 12:59 pm

I agree. I also want to add that I'm not Haruka Suzushiro about name changes either. Take Sailor Moon. If you say Serena, I know you're talking about Usagi. ^_^ For those that don't, well, that's why search engines landed on Earth. Use em'.

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kino karutta-chan on Sun May 09, 2010 4:11 pm

The original dubs are mostly just better than any other dub, so I prefer the originals. I love to watch movies in English, too (sometime, if they are from Spain or so in this original language, too, but most of the time it's English). This is annoying for my friends, especially it's a movie I just CAN'T watch in German anymore, so we don't watch it or they have to bear the original version. I can watch movies in German, too, but not Animes (most of the time). When I hear this Komugiraffe bad dub... it's just horrible. I love Japanese, yes, so I enjoy to watch them in Japanese o_o

Anyway, I haven't anything against dub-lovers, but sometimes I just can't understand them ;P When there is no emotion in the voice, but in the original is, how could you watch it then with the bad dubs?? I don't get. I just know, that the Japanese dubs are ALWAYS better...
Well, one of my friends can't bear Japanese. She says they speak so squeaky :0

Well, sometimes it's funny to watch an anime with German dubs, because you can laugh then, but most of the time I could cry, too, because it's so bad (especially when you know the original). It's not THIS bad, when you don't know the original, but still bad...

Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Bubuzuke points : 7062
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1556

View user profile http://kinokarutta-chan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by emochick on Sun May 09, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm a dub lover, so I have nothing against other people like me!

emochick
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 1511
Armitage GUTS!!! : 108

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/pop_and_rock

Back to top Go down

Post by denerop on Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 am

Some dubs are horrible, others are good.
Dubs are great to use for amv's since there's no subtitles :D
But i prefer originals to watch.

denerop
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 704
Armitage GUTS!!! : 113

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/darklinege

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME on Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 am

denerop wrote:Some dubs are horrible, others are good.

THIS. since 98...original with subs all the way!!!
amvs....luu was right about the bandai mai hime dvds. I've tried making videos but evil gootube detects the dvd footage on command!!!! -.-

SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Bubuzuke points : 1359
Armitage GUTS!!! : 278

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicchu on Tue May 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Well, I like both dubs and subs. It all depends on the series as I've found some dubs have been done fairly well, or maybe it's just nostalgia on some of my childhood faves. Wink Dub lovers and Sub lovers can both be annoying when they don't respect the others preferences. To each their own.

Kicchu
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 257
Armitage GUTS!!! : 94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by denerop on Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 pm

SpiderNeKoHiME wrote:
denerop wrote:Some dubs are horrible, others are good.

THIS. since 98...original with subs all the way!!!
amvs....luu was right about the bandai mai hime dvds. I've tried making videos but evil gootube detects the dvd footage on command!!!! -.-

Yeah, i'm still looking for Mai Hime stuff to work with.
I did find a Mai otome dub with okay quality, wich made me happy :D

denerop
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 704
Armitage GUTS!!! : 113

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/darklinege

Back to top Go down

Post by emochick on Tue May 25, 2010 9:57 pm

I understand and respect why people like the subtitled versions. It's original, unedited, raw, and authentic. Still keeping up with why I prefer the dubbed versions. I cant read too fast and after a while it would be annoying of having to pause so much to catch up with what's going on.

emochick
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 1511
Armitage GUTS!!! : 108

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/pop_and_rock

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Thu May 27, 2010 1:13 pm

Kicchu wrote:Well, I like both dubs and subs. It all depends on the series as I've found some dubs have been done fairly well, or maybe it's just nostalgia on some of my childhood faves. Wink Dub lovers and Sub lovers can both be annoying when they don't respect the others preferences. To each their own.

Agreed. There are dubs that I enjoy so much, that I sometimes forget there's even a Japanese track. Noir and Chance Triangle Session are great examples. Their dubs are so good and well acted, I usually stick to them more. Don't get me wrong, the Japanese tracks are still good, but my amazement with their dubbing gave me a strong sense of attachment to them.

English dubbing isn't perfect for my other top anime like Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yuugi or Revolutionary Girl Utena. And after hearing some of AnimeWork's dubbing, I'm glad Simoun was left alone with subtitles only when the DVDs released.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuna on Thu May 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Really well done dubs (see: Cromartie High School, Cowboy Bebop) are great! I might even prefer 'em over the originals. Seriously, Cromartie just loses its charm if you watch it in Japanese, in my opinion.

Also, joke dubs (see: Ghost Stories, Shin Chan) are pretty rad. They generally take mediocre anime and make them awesome.

Otherwise, subs always.

Yuna
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 6
Armitage GUTS!!! : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Yuna wrote:Really well done dubs (see: Cromartie High School, Cowboy Bebop) are great! I might even prefer 'em over the originals. Seriously, Cromartie just loses its charm if you watch it in Japanese, in my opinion.

Shame on me for forgetting Cowboy Bebop, the dub is indeed great. Um, I think Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex had a great dub as well. It's been a while. ^^;

Yuna wrote:Also, joke dubs (see: Ghost Stories, Shin Chan) are pretty rad. They generally take mediocre anime and make them awesome.

That's what Megami33 and friends thought, thus giving birth to SMA.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:53 am

-raises hand- i had a fight with a dubbie from gaia yesterday....
he said all dubs are better :( false false false and fail fail fail!!!!

SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Bubuzuke points : 1359
Armitage GUTS!!! : 278

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:00 pm

SpiderNeKoHiME wrote:-raises hand- i had a fight with a dubbie from gaia yesterday....
he said all dubs are better :( false false false and fail fail fail!!!!

XD Well, he's wrong. If he brings up Ultramaniac's dub or Noir's dub, then I won't argue. But any anime dub that's on Disney XD or Nicktoons...better get out of my sight. :D

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:27 pm

I like to watch both versions of a series. It's weird, when I watch an series online I usually start with subs and then venture into dubs, but when I watch DVDs I immediately watch dub.

However, when an anime is particularly political or there so much going on at once, I like to watch the dub since I'm a bit of a slow reader.

Like, when I watched Mai-HiME I understood the second arc perfectly but the first arc was just a blur, I had no idea why Alyssa was attacking and it wasn't until I watched the dub did I actually grasp everything.

Mai-Otome...pssh, forget it, I watched the sub and had no idea what was happening, I still don't really know the deets because I never watched the dub.

But something like NANA, I watched the sub and I understood just fine.

Kara
Token Straight Girl

Bubuzuke points : 2072
Armitage GUTS!!! : 597

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Konaxookami on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:39 pm

To be honest I give all dubs a fair shot. When I buy a DVD I'll watch the dub first-or if I'm watching a new series online I'll take what I can find-whether it's the dub or the sub-and even though most times it a sub-I'll catch the occasional dub because I can't find enough episodes of the sub. That was the way it went the first time I watched FMA.

I like dubs. Dubs are interesting because I like hearing different people's interpretations. People who think the Japanese dub is better than the English think that way sometimes because it was what came first for them and that's been put in their head that that's how it's supposed to sound. Say Avatar the Last Airbender got a japanese dub over-They'll probably say the english track is better because that was the original.

Despite that-sometimes the Dub is better than a sub-or it just adds a whole new life to a series. Ouran was a good example for me. I only watched a few episodes of the original track-I fell in love with the dub. and when I watched it in Japanese I liked the original charm as well. Besides-when I cosplay and do videos or skits-the english voices help me choose what sort of voice I should do because Japanese is VERY different than english.

Though I fell bad for dubs that get some really GOOD actors and REALLY BAD ACTORS. The Nanoha dub is a good example. Nanoha, Arf, Fate, and Yunno had some good voices but then...dear god-I won't even try to explain how bad the rest of the cast was. It was horrible.

But I don't mind dubbies-I support them, because I've got friends who only watch the series in English and love it for that. So...I guess let 'em live because most of them don't do harm-as long as you aren't talking to Narutards-because then the whole battle is lost-TRUST ME-I've tried.

Konaxookami
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2209
Armitage GUTS!!! : 803
Location : Somewhere between the Furthest Ring and the Hall of Justice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cecirdr on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:25 pm

I personally prefer subtitles because so far, all of the dubs I've heard sounded so wooden. The southern accent for Shizuru was *way* weird to my ears.

But even though I can read fast and prefer subtitles, I'm glad there are dubs. My partner is legally blind and her vision can't be corrected. Dubs are the only way she can watch anime. That being said though, she's not really an anime fan, but she has watched some Miyazaki movies with me and Totoro could actually be fairly high up on a list of her favorite movies.

Anyway, If we watch something subtitled, I end up having to pause it a lot a read the subtitles to her. If I think the dub actors have wooden acting voices....oh man I'm 1000x worse. <cringe>

cecirdr
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 40
Armitage GUTS!!! : 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Konaxookami wrote:I like dubs. Dubs are interesting because I like hearing different people's interpretations. People who think the Japanese dub is better than the English think that way sometimes because it was what came first for them and that's been put in their head that that's how it's supposed to sound. Say Avatar the Last Airbender got a japanese dub over-They'll probably say the english track is better because that was the original.

I try not to be one of those people who always say the original is better. Like I said month ago, I went into ADVFilm's Noir English dub thinking it was gonna be cheesy like their early Evangelion dubs, and to my surprise, it came out MUCH better. Shelley Calene-Black(Mireille), Monica Rial(Kirika), Hilary Haag(Chloe), Tiffany Grant(Altena) should be paid A LOT more for their superb voice-work.

cecirdr wrote:I personally prefer subtitles because so far, all of the dubs I've heard sounded so wooden. The southern accent for Shizuru was *way* weird to my ears.

LMAO! Tell us about it. We make fun of Melanie's performance all the time.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Acid Raw on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:01 pm

I have only really liked 2 anime's dubbing: the original fullmetal alchemist and samurai champloo. I thought both of these were done very well. No offense to the dubbing artists but their voices don't carry the same emotion as the original Language i.e. An anime girl screaming in the Japanese audio goes right through to the bone compared to a dubbed scream.

Acid Raw
Mai's Sugar Daddy
Mai's Sugar Daddy

Bubuzuke points : 212
Armitage GUTS!!! : 81

View user profile http://www.acidraw.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Acid Raw wrote:I have only really liked 2 anime's dubbing: the original fullmetal alchemist and samurai champloo. I thought both of these were done very well. No offense to the dubbing artists but their voices don't carry the same emotion as the original Language i.e. An anime girl screaming in the Japanese audio goes right through to the bone compared to a dubbed scream.

:D I don't remember Samurai Champloo's dub too well, but I do remember FMA's. I didn't really like it, characters like Winry sounded off. Whoever voiced Lust was pretty good though. :oops:

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyubey Mittens on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:37 pm

I have nothing people who prefer watching dubbed shows. Some people just don't like reading text on a screen and find Japanese voices to be a bit aggravating, that's fine. There's also a lot of good dubs, Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Cowboy Beboy, Midori Days, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, more shows than I can remember. Heck there is even bad dubs I really like, Dragon Ball Z is great in it's own way.

I do ultimately prefer the sub though for most anime. I like listening to Japanese, and the original voice actor usually conveys the character better than the English dub actor. There are also some dubs that rubbed me the wrong way in the past. Trying to revisit Cardcaptor Sakura with it's own dub has put me off checking that even though I know the sub to be good. It just had that strong of an effect on me.

Kyubey Mittens
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 437
Armitage GUTS!!! : 154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Acid Raw on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:51 am

FLCL??? Damn that would be weird watching a dubbed version, did it make any more sense in english? I loved watching it in Japanese with subs but a lot of the time my head was completely fired trying to understand what was happening

Acid Raw
Mai's Sugar Daddy
Mai's Sugar Daddy

Bubuzuke points : 212
Armitage GUTS!!! : 81

View user profile http://www.acidraw.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fire Stirring Ruby on Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:03 am

Some dubbing companies just translate an anime series, and when the dubbing actors play their roles, the real essence of the animation series disappears. In my opinion, I prefer both the subtitles and the dubbed versions of a specific anime. In this way, I can compare which one is a lot easier to understand.

Take it for example, one blogger says that Taglished (Tagalog - English) animes suck and that Tagalog dubbing is shitty. I cannot believe what did the blogger said, it's like saying that the international dubbing companies are better than ours. All I can say is that no dubbing company can ever perfect dubbing. We're just human being, imperfect in any other aspects.

The Fire Stirring Ruby
Ramen Noodles Specialist
Ramen Noodles Specialist

Bubuzuke points : 2561
Armitage GUTS!!! : 746

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyubey Mittens on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:06 pm

Acid Raw wrote:FLCL??? Damn that would be weird watching a dubbed version, did it make any more sense in english? I loved watching it in Japanese with subs but a lot of the time my head was completely fired trying to understand what was happening

It's not easier to understand but honestly I thought all the voices fit very well. It's one of the few animes I prefer the dub for.

Kyubey Mittens
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 437
Armitage GUTS!!! : 154

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next