Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Intellectualism vs. Anti Intellectualism

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Intellectualism vs. Anti Intellectualism

Post by GAP on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:27 pm

I don't know if I can consider myself either of these but it seems like there is stigma towards intellectuals who are often labelled as snobs and/or know-it-alls. In some shows, the guy who uses his emotions is almost always right as opposed to the guy who uses logic. noboby (and I mean nobody) likes to feel like they are dumb because it makes them feel bad and nobody wants to feel that. What do you guys think of the stigma towards intellectuals?

GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 418
Armitage GUTS!!! : 122

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Intellectualism vs. Anti Intellectualism

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Deep question, GAP. I can only say that if intellectuals want to remove stigma, they should be a little more considerate of others who don't know as much. While I'm a bit of a narcissist at heart, I'm always considered by my peers as a very humble person. It's all in respect really. Treat me fair, you'll get it in return. Only by showing me what a wholesome human being you are, will I praise the good things about you. In this case, a person's way of thought.

Logic vs. emotion is used in practically everything, even relationships. Would you date someone cautious and knowledgeable or someone who goes against the grain, living the life of danger?

Different folks, different tastes. Just don't make anyone feel dumb or you're gonna get it right back. ^_~ Good topic, GAP. Let's see what the others have to say.

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42150
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2495

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Defiant on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Looks like I found some very old thread (*removes spiderwebs [or is it cobweb? - I wasn´t sure so I checked dictionary and this result came up])...

It really depends on your definition of intellectual. I mean a clever person can see when and how to show his/her intellect...for example if I(not that I would consider myself as some extra genius but hey, I am not dumb either...ok, I sometimes can be both :] ) discuss some topic I try not to be a complete smartass but if it is within the topic I usually state as many relevant things as possible. If such discussion becomes a flame I try to speak the facts for me and leave any personal interests and feelings out of it.

I think there is nothing wrong with having the knoledge and using it decently.

GAP wrote:In some shows, the guy who uses his emotions is almost always right as opposed to the guy who uses logic.
Well, I think you can find examples of both...don´t have to even look much, let´s say Simpsons - Lisa / Homer comparison.

Defiant
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 348
Armitage GUTS!!! : 83

View user profile http://www.postavy.cz

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:53 pm

This is a very interesting thread, and I've been thinking about this since it got bumped some days ago. Honestly, from what it seems like, the characters who use their intellect more than their emotions are usually portrayed to be cold and calculating... at least from what I've seen so far.

As for the ones who are always using their emotions... well... have you noticed that they are usually the protagonist of the show? So, it's kinda hard to say bad things about them... except I can! Like Arika from Otome, who runs solely on emotions. She does a ton of stupid things, and is very naive, but her intentions are always pure and good. So, I can't hate her, but I can dislike her decision making skills. :3

I don't know, at this point, I'm just kind of rambling. I can't seem to verbalize my thoughts very well on this...

Siggy made by depression76

ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8908
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1349

View user profile http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:19 am

ookamidesu wrote:This is a very interesting thread, and I've been thinking about this since it got bumped some days ago. Honestly, from what it seems like, the characters who use their intellect more than their emotions are usually portrayed to be cold and calculating... at least from what I've seen so far.

As for the ones who are always using their emotions... well... have you noticed that they are usually the protagonist of the show? So, it's kinda hard to say bad things about them... except I can! Like Arika from Otome, who runs solely on emotions. She does a ton of stupid things, and is very naive, but her intentions are always pure and good. So, I can't hate her, but I can dislike her decision making skills. :3

I don't know, at this point, I'm just kind of rambling. I can't seem to verbalize my thoughts very well on this...

I'm curious as why you didn't use Haruka, being a more prominent example than Arika. ;3

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by megarockman on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:54 am

This one hits me hard. I favor the intellectual, but have a difficult time in social situations and am prone to awkwardness (I think Kat, at least, can attest to that in the chatbox). Growing up I saw alot of apparent anti-intellectualism both in mass media (i.e., many popular shows on TV) and in real-life (social semi-ostracism because I kept answering the teacher's questions and appearing like a know-it-all because I couldn't perceive or didn't share an interest in what other kids wanted to talk about - I'm book-smart but people-dumb). When other students wanted me to let them copy my homework, I didn't know how to say no without looking either like a snob or weak-willed. I guess through that I've sort of developed an "Anti-anti-intellectualism" outlook - emotions are cool, but instances of anti-intellectualism make my blood boil. At present, I think I've come to terms with the fact that I have emotions and they shouldn't be ignored (for a long time I resented being human because being human meant being fallible - might explain why characters with a basis in technology like Miyu, Cortana from Halo, and Yuki Nagato from the Haruhi series pique my interest so much), but I still have this basic desire to see others be able to learn about the world. I just have to figure out how to do it without offending others.

As for why the emotional characters are usually the protagonists, I'd venture it's because they're the ones whom other people (i.e., the audience) can connect with immediately. Quantum physics or treatises on government is not something the majority of the potential audience will get, but emotions are universal.

megarockman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 561
Armitage GUTS!!! : 119

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
ookamidesu wrote:This is a very interesting thread, and I've been thinking about this since it got bumped some days ago. Honestly, from what it seems like, the characters who use their intellect more than their emotions are usually portrayed to be cold and calculating... at least from what I've seen so far.

I'm curious as why you didn't use Haruka, being a more prominent example than Arika. ;3

Because she knows that she's describing me and using Haruka would be to obvious, Daddy Luu. ;D (Or cuz she was mentioning main protagonists and Haruka tech isn't, but I liek mine better ;D)

Honestly, I can use both. (A shock, I know. ;D) With my friends and lovers I tend to usually run on pure emotion (which is changing as time goes because it's NOT good to not think things through... xD) With my mother, though, she tends to call me a 'computer' and she and those I dislike see a very cold, calculating, and intelligent side of me.

Honestly, the best thing to have is a balance. I, myself, am working toward a personal balance and the lovely Dye is helping along with some true-blue friends. Being to cold gets people pissy at you (i.e. my mother toward me in any situation) and being to trusting/caring/emotional gets you in trouble as well (soooo many people use it to their advantage and your own disadvantage -.-').

The best thing to do, though, is be yourself. Do what you feel is best. If you're smart, be proud. If you follow your instincts/gut/heart, be proud of that too! But don't knock how the other side does it, because both ends of the spectrum can learn a thing or two.

For example, I would take Hermione Granger over Ron Weasley.

MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4284
Armitage GUTS!!! : 798

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:18 am

MidnightPersona wrote:
Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:

Because she knows that she's describing me and using Haruka would be to obvious, Daddy Luu. ;D (Or cuz she was mentioning main protagonists and Haruka tech isn't, but I liek mine better ;D)

Sorry to burst your bubble, Haruka-dear... but it was mainly because I was talking about protagonists and the first one that popped into my mind was Arika from Otome. ^-^;

Siggy made by depression76

ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8908
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1349

View user profile http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:22 am

MidnightPersona wrote:For example, I would take Hermione Granger over Ron Weasley.
A beautiful, intelligent young lady who uses her brains daily to solve problems, and help out her friends over an irritating, rude, loud-mouthed git. Easy choice as well =3

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 1183
Armitage GUTS!!! : 347

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:27 am

ookamidesu wrote:
MidnightPersona wrote:
Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, Haruka-dear... but it was mainly because I was talking about protagonists and the first one that popped into my mind was Arika from Otome. ^-^;

YU~KI~NO! I told you to make it seem like my idea. Oh well, better than that damn bubuzuke woman getting the better of me. <.<; (Arika fits it best, though, I think)

Yuri-hime wrote:
MidnightPersona wrote:For example, I would take Hermione Granger over Ron Weasley.
A beautiful, intelligent young lady who uses her brains daily to solve problems, and help out her friends over an irritating, rude, loud-mouthed git. Easy choice as well =3

Hermione Granger (and Emma Watson) is a woman after my own heart~ I always liked Ron as well, though, but he's nothing without Miss. Granger. Fleur and Hermione=HP OTP

I am sooo off-topic... must see a HP thread O.O IS THERE ONE!?!

MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:31 am

MidnightPersona wrote:
I am sooo off-topic... must see a HP thread O.O IS THERE ONE!?![/color]
Not sure. If not, you should just create one =p

On topic - Intellectualism wins hands down~

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:38 am

Yuri-hime wrote:
MidnightPersona wrote:

NEVER! Both win! If there is no balance, there can never be harmony. That's the issue with Star Wars! The old Jedi refused love and other things and the dark side embraced things it shouldn't. If you get a balance, you find truth. Good and evil, black and white?

No. Shades of grey are where reality lies!

Yoda, I am. ;D

MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDreamer on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:45 am

I vote hedonism.

Forget about whether you're Meryl Streep or Adam Sandler. If you have a smile on your face at the end of the day and you're not hurting anybody else, you're doing it right.

TheDreamer
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 35
Armitage GUTS!!! : 14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:04 am

MidnightPersona wrote:Yoda, I am. ;D
The Force is strong with you, young Padawan~

MidnightPersona wrote:
Yuri-hime wrote:
MidnightPersona wrote:

NEVER! Both win! If there is no balance, there can never be harmony. That's the issue with Star Wars! The old Jedi refused love and other things and the dark side embraced things it shouldn't. If you get a balance, you find truth. Good and evil, black and white?

True. Real life is rarely ever truly black or white. Shades of gray are indeed where most of reality resides~ =3

I'm an Aquarian though, and we tend to be more 'analytical' and 'geared towards more intellectual thoughts and feelings'. So, I tend to always focus more on, and zero in on those who use their brains and wits, more so than their feelings and emotions. For example, Shizuru vs Haruka. I love Haruka for her 'guts' and brashness, and willingness to never step down from a challenge. But I love Shizuru's cool analytical side, and her ability to always think two steps ahead of most others.

Another good example for me would be Nanoha vs Fate.

Nanoha pretty much runs on pure emotion. Nay, she practically thrives on it. And that works for her. That is her personality, and without that brashness and willingness to throw herself into situations without much care for her own safety, as long as she can help or save her friends, then Fate herself would never have been rescued.

But I love and adore Fate. Again, because of that cool, quiet intelligence that's always ticking silently away in the brain. She stategizes. She thinks before she acts. She makes plans, and she executes them with the near flawless beauty of an Olympic ice skater. She and Shizuru to me are the epitome of beauty, grace, brawn-when-needed, and stunning intelligence all wrapped up on one amazing package~

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:08 am

Yuri-hime wrote:
MidnightPersona wrote:Yoda, I am. ;D
The Force is strong with you, young Padawan~

MidnightPersona wrote:
Yuri-hime wrote:
MidnightPersona wrote:

True. Real life is rarely ever truly black or white. Shades of gray are indeed where most of reality resides~ =3

I'm an Aquarian though, and we tend to be more 'analytical' and 'geared towards more intellectual thoughts and feelings'. So, I tend to always focus more on, and zero in on those who use their brains and wits, more so than their feelings and emotions. For example, Shizuru vs Haruka. I love Haruka for her 'guts' and brashness, and willingness to never step down from a challenge. But I love Shizuru's cool analytical side, and her ability to always think two steps ahead of most others.

Another good example for me would be Nanoha vs Fate.

Nanoha pretty much runs on pure emotion. Nay, she practically thrives on it. And that works for her. That is her personality, and without that brashness and willingness to throw herself into situations without much care for her own safety, as long as she can help or save her friends, then Fate herself would never have been rescued.

But I love and adore Fate. Again, because of that cool, quiet intelligence that's always ticking silently away in the brain. She stategizes. She thinks before she acts. She makes plans, and she executes them with the near flawless beauty of an Olympic ice skater. She and Shizuru to me are the epitome of beauty, grace, brawn-when-needed, and stunning intelligence all wrapped up on one amazing package~

I am a Gemini. The twins. Duality. Explains a lot, no? Plus a horse. Soooo, yeah xD

And yes, I have been compared (shockingly) to both Haruka (more prominate) and Shizuru. Honestly, to people who just meet me or don't know me well, I use my Shizuru side, but to those I trust/know better they see me as Haruka. Though, words fail regardless. Everyone, I think, has some duality inside of them. It makes us all unique. I've been compared to both a computer and an open book. xD

That's why I value both intellect and emotion. Without both, you are doomed to be set in a path of either obliviousness, or uncaring tacticalness.

MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:21 am

TheDreamer wrote:I vote hedonism.

Forget about whether you're Meryl Streep or Adam Sandler. If you have a smile on your face at the end of the day and you're not hurting anybody else, you're doing it right.
I'm going to agree with you fully here, my friend =3
To each their own! Whatever works for someone, as long as they are enjoying their life and not hurting anyone, more power to them =3

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:18 am

TheDreamer wrote:I vote hedonism.

I'll use Beavis and Butt-head and Daria as my examples. These two shows takes place in the same universe; yet couldn't be anymore different. The former is simple with fart/sex jokes, physical comedy and parodies. The latter is for the antisocial who can connect with the heroine's journey through High school life, criticizing and questioning the sick sad world around her. I'm not closed minded enough to say one is better than the other, they both make me laugh.

Consider myself as someone with an on and off switch. I can be intellectual if challenged enough, but I prefer to be silly. I can be silly, but when there's a real crisis or debate, expect effort that refuses to die.

Overall I agree with Dreamer, be happy with who you are and let no one tell you different. And if they don't like it, dump them. You can always get new friends, but self-respect and confidence in WHO you are is hard to come by. Like yourself and then everyone else will fall into place.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:52 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top