Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

A Nagi Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Nagi Thread

Post by Abicion on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Man, I'm so glad Abicion is finally done with those wordy character-based posts where he overanalyzes everything. I mean, if I had to read another line of that rambling dribble, I probably would have had a complete psychotic breakdown and end up like the anime version of Ak-...

I'm going to die.

But, hey, before that happens, let's talk about Nagi. There's something that has always bugged me about him. I always thought it was incredibly dumb how the anime kept treating him as a crafty master manipulator after his cover is completely blown. The HiME are well aware Nagi has been lying to them for 16 episodes in order to get them to start the Festival, and he has no ground to stand on when he makes completely baseless threats like "Do as I say or my big space weapon will kill all of you by default." He obviously pulled their strings with how he explained the "Most Important Thing" condition, and they know it.

Now I know what you're thinking. "Oh, but Abicion, he technically never lies to them before that point! He just hides certain facts to manipulate them for his own Obsidian Lord-worshiping agenda!" I've personally seen this sad, sad defense used in the past. But think about it.

1. Yes, it's true he never verbally stated "Most Important Thing" meant something completely different than what it really does (not counting the implications of my #2 point). However, he's still intentionally giving them misinformation to further his own plans. He wants them to think "Most Important Thing" means nothing more than their own lives. That's why he explained the entire thing to Akane (fully knowing ahead of time that she erroneously thought he meant her own life), and that's why when Mai goes

he goes

without hesitating for a second. For all practical purposes, he's a lying sack of crap. Deal with it.

2. The mere logistics behind it. Nagi goes to twelve completely different people at various points in the series and says "If you decide to activate your Child, you'll be putting your Most Important Thing on the line." These twelve people all conveniently come to the exact same conclusion of "Oh, you must mean my life!", and not a single one of them ever apply another second of thought to it. Unless Nagi is taking additional liberties off-screen (in which case--WHOOPS!--that defeats the "He never actually lies in the first half of the series" argument entirely), that's just stupid. And I mean that in both how the characters themselves collectively act and the writers implying something on that scale could actually happen.

And then there's the whole fact that he -is- flat out lying when he tells the HiME fighting each other is the only way to stop the HiME Star, as I pointed out in the Mashiro thread.

But screw it. For argument's sake, I'll ignore Nagi's lying-but-technically-not-lying-but-technically-lying sheenanigans. And let's throw out the fact he indisputably lies about the options the HiME have, since it's mostly Mashiro's fault for not intervening in that case. Even forgiving all of that, Nagi's bull**** is still exposed in full view of at least half of the main cast.

Let's break the actual conversation of the Big Reveal. To start off, Nagi encourages the girls to fight each other by saying, "You'll JUST be killing each other's Childs."

Natsuki promptly jumps on Nagi's case by essentially going, "Um, no, you're full of it and we won't JUST be killing each other's Childs. We'll be killing other human beings, too."

And his only defense is some of the most contrived, transparent, artificial, cockamamie reverse psychology in human history.

Every single thing Nagi has told them up to that point has been a lie used to intentionally mislead them, the HiME no reason whatsoever to believe him on anything else he tries to say, and Natsuki points it out on the spot.

So how do the HiME react to this revelation? Why, naturally, they continue to call him out for his crap on the spot, they collectively feel bad for Akane for a few minutes, and then they walk away, each laughing hysterically at Nagi thinking he still has the high ground to ever manipulate them again.

Oh, wait, no they don't. I'm sorry; I almost thought I was in some bizarro world where the Mai Hime anime actually applies sound logic when it's trying to be depressing. I must be reading EXA too much. What I meant to say was they spend the entirety of episode 17 angsting over the prospect of killing the loved ones of others because they bought everything Nagi said as fact for no reason whatsoever. They then spend the rest of the series acting like absolutely mindless buffoons and allowing themselves to be manipulated by a guy who they know for a fact is manipulating them. The entire foundation of this story arc makes absolutely no sense. This like The Wizard of Oz if everybody had kept acting like the big floating head was real after they noticed the feet sticking out from underneath the curtain. F***ing POWER RANGERS handled morality crises with more seriousness and maturity than the HiME anime's Festival arc. This show isn't anywhere near as deep as it thinks it is SFGDFGJHFGASF.

I feel better now that I got that last part out. So what's up with Nagi?

Last edited by Abicion on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:31 pm; edited 3 times in total

Abicion
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 247
Armitage GUTS!!! : 16

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/OrihimintRyunanade

Back to top Go down

Re: A Nagi Thread

Post by Highman on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:43 pm

From earlier fanfic stated Nagi was just a Noble deity, when his clan killed by OL's after that, he started to join his road trip of destruction. That's when OL's was tired in life even wanted shake down the Materializing system. Nagi didn't agree with him but he's OL's observer and apprentice, plus he Nagi was a virgin.

Nagi was just was born as Noble deity before OL started his rampage. He really loves Mashiro, she knows that.

Another question, does Fuuka have great Nobles back then and today because maybe a power struggle or conflict is made between the government and nobles ? Is it for resources, then that would be interesting.

I was hoping Mashiro and Nagi had intimate relationship after the Carnival ?

Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 629
Armitage GUTS!!! : 113

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Abicion on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Highman wrote:I was hoping Mashiro and Nagi had intimate relationship after the Carnival ?
Why? Mashiro hates everything Nagi and his boss do.

Abicion
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Highman on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Abicion wrote:
Highman wrote:I was hoping Mashiro and Nagi had intimate relationship after the Carnival ?
Why? Mashiro hates everything Nagi and his boss do.

Oh, I was going to say secret intimate relationship. Nagi has no boss except Mashiro who will dominate him in bed. Boy, she having too much fun of that.

Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Abicion on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:28 pm

and I thought my theories were stretching it.

Abicion
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 am

Highman wrote:Oh, I was going to say secret intimate relationship. Nagi has no boss except Mashiro who will dominate him in bed. Boy, she having too much fun of that.

Haha, now I'm getting flashbacks to Nagi's little fantasy from Mai-Otome. I wish I had time to snapshot it right now, you two know the one.

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42279
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2498

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Highman on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:59 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Highman wrote:Oh, I was going to say secret intimate relationship. Nagi has no boss except Mashiro who will dominate him in bed. Boy, she having too much fun of that.

Haha, now I'm getting flashbacks to Nagi's little fantasy from Mai-Otome. I wish I had time to snapshot it right now, you two know the one.

Of course when your have two lonely gained immortal and nothing left to lose.

Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Highman wrote:Of course when your have two lonely gained immortal and nothing left to lose.

Too true. It makes me wonder what you would do in Nagi and Mashiro's shoes. How would you handle the Festival, given the circumstances of the HiME star, the Obsidian Lord, The SEARRS Foundation, District One etc.

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Bubuzuke points : 42279
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2498

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Hahaha, Nagi was a loser in the HiME, anyway.

But, I guess if you're a normal teenage girl suddenly thrown blindly into a fighting areana against all your friends, you're not gonna know where to start or who to trust or WHY you're doing this, so would I listen to some guy who may be lying but seems connected to the source of these problems? Eh, Probably.

Kara
Token Straight Girl

Bubuzuke points : 2072
Armitage GUTS!!! : 597

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Highman on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Kara wrote:Hahaha, Nagi was a loser in the HiME, anyway.

But, I guess if you're a normal teenage girl suddenly thrown blindly into a fighting areana against all your friends, you're not gonna know where to start or who to trust or WHY you're doing this, so would I listen to some guy who may be lying but seems connected to the source of these problems? Eh, Probably.

Just gonna throw a bone and say the whole thing was just a training arc or just premonition for the HiME's. We know they are more types of materializers in this world to explore and understand. OL was just easy for them now his relatives have came for the party.

Nagi and Mashiro did what was necessary even wasting Dr. Saeko Kuga and others who played a role to the present festival.

There's alot of question that Sunrise can't even explain but surely enough no one will answer them only us should know.

Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Hahaha, exactly. I kinda like Mai-HiME with all these logical fallacies, that way, you get to imagine what you want. You're imagination can run wild, unlike other shows where everything is just one big fact.

Kara
Token Straight Girl

Bubuzuke points : 2072
Armitage GUTS!!! : 597

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Abicion on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Kara wrote:But, I guess if you're a normal teenage girl suddenly thrown blindly into a fighting arena against all your friends, you're not gonna know where to start or who to trust or WHY you're doing this, so would I listen to some guy who may be lying but seems connected to the source of these problems?
This would require Nagi to actually seem connected to the source of the problem.

This connection is never made because he never does anything that implies he controls the HiME Star, apart from saying he basically controls the HiME Star. This plothole becomes exponentially stupid when you realize "Do as I say or my giant space weapon will kill all of you" was the exact ultimatum Alyssa tried to use to get the HiME to surrender to Searrs two episodes earlier. And her threat wasn't completely baseless since she actually demonstrated her giant space weapon. And the threat didn't work then and the HiME ended up beating her.

I'm just going to come out and say it. Nagi is King of the Bodysnatchers. Oh, yes. The HiME characters in the second half of the series look like the cast of the first half, and they have the same voice actresses and act like insane caricatures of the cast, but they're not the same people. Somewhere around the karaoke party, Nagi kidnapped the original HiME and replaced them all with clones. These clones have no memories of anything their original counterparts experienced or witnessed, and are ripe for believing any garbage Nagi decides to spout. That's truly the only explanation that gives the Festival arc any semblance of continuity.

Abicion
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:13 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top