Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Top 10 favorite Mai Hime-Otome characters?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Top 10 favorite Mai Hime-Otome characters?

Post by Break String SpinElf on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:34 am

Now, this is a pretty tough ask. As always, this is subject to change depending on other characters catching my eye and breaking out during the next re-watch. There are also a host of characters I adore who don't make the lists. Dammit, Sunrise, why d'you have to have so many characters I love? frustrated

Mai-HiME: -

1. Shizuru Fujino*
  2. Haruka Suzushiro (believe it or not)
  3. Takumi Tokiha - just the sweetest guy. Also, this is the story of his coming of age.
  4. Shiho Munakata - definitely underrated and also something of an enigma. She started out irritating me, but... now I want to give her a big cuddle.
  5. Mikoto Minagi - the most destructive HiME of them all, thanks in no small part to her tragic backstory.
  6. Nao Yuuki - speaking of tragic backstories... Nao is just amoral, asocial... amazing.
  7. Reito Kanzaki - soft-spoken allure hides the beast within. Beware the quiet, tea-drinking ones.
  8. Midori Sugiura - an early favourite. Like Haruka, has a knack of lighting up any scene in which she appears.
  9. Mai Tokiha - it's a testament to the strength of the show that our flame-haired beauty is so low on this list.
  10. Kaiji Sakomizu - owner of one of the finest heads of hair in Japan. Also, the Gwydion figure to Natsuki's Lleu Llaw Gyffes. Quietly heroic in his own way too.
  11. Yukariko Sanada - because everyone loves nuns.

Wow. I'm pretty surprised by the make up of my list. No Natsuki! No Chie! No Ishigami! (actually, scrap that last one, he's an arsehole).

*- blush ?? Erm, okay, so I lied. It just wouldn't seem right putting Haruka at any other position than number two behind the bubuzuke woman.

Mai-Otome: -
Allowing myself a couple of extra slots due to characters from 0~S.ifr making regular appearances.

1. Haruka Armitage (surprise surprise)
  2. Nina Wáng - yet again, I am betrayed by my weakness for a cutesy tragic quasi-villain.
  3. Eliot Chandler - I've no idea what it is about Elli-chin, but, whatever it is, I like it.
  4. Arika Yumemiya - another character who initially annoyed me (mainly by not being Mai), but she is Haruka's ideal of GUTS!!!!! personified.
  5. Lena Sayers - the most badass Otome of them all, as well as the culmination of Searrs' efforts.
  6. Yukino Chrysant - emerging from Haruka's considerable shadow to provide steely determination and political will. Awesome.
  7. Irina Woods - because who doesn't love a genki tech girl?
  8. Bruce Banin Windbloom - chivalrous, mysterious, magnificent.
  9. Nagi Dài Artai - yes, he's a total piece of work - it's just that he's so... charming with it. Evil supergenius in a bizarre, small package.
  10. Tomoe Marguerite - a trajectory as interesting as her asymmetrical barnet.
  11. Gal - because who doesn't love a genki tech girl!borg?
  12. Maria Graceburt - whatever her age, Maria remains the steadfast epitome of what an Otome ought to be.
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 968
Armitage GUTS!!! : 97

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Break String SpinElf wrote:Now, this is a pretty tough ask. As always, this is subject to change depending on other characters catching my eye and breaking out during the next re-watch. There are also a host of characters I adore who don't make the lists. Dammit, Sunrise, why d'you have to have so many characters I love? frustrated

Mai-HiME: -

1. Shizuru Fujino*
  2. Haruka Suzushiro (believe it or not)
  3. Takumi Tokiha - just the sweetest guy. Also, this is the story of his coming of age.
  4. Shiho Munakata - definitely underrated and also something of an enigma. She started out irritating me, but... now I want to give her a big cuddle.
  5. Mikoto Minagi - the most destructive HiME of them all, thanks in no small part to her tragic backstory.
  6. Nao Yuuki - speaking of tragic backstories... Nao is just amoral, asocial... amazing.
  7. Reito Kanzaki - soft-spoken allure hides the beast within. Beware the quiet, tea-drinking ones.
  8. Midori Sugiura - an early favourite. Like Haruka, has a knack of lighting up any scene in which she appears.
  9. Mai Tokiha - it's a testament to the strength of the show that our flame-haired beauty is so low on this list.
  10. Kaiji Sakomizu - owner of one of the finest heads of hair in Japan. Also, the Gwydion figure to Natsuki's Lleu Llaw Gyffes. Quietly heroic in his own way too.
  11. Yukariko Sanada - because everyone loves nuns.

Wow. I'm pretty surprised by the make up of my list. No Natsuki! No Chie! No Ishigami! (actually, scrap that last one, he's an arsehole).

*- blush ?? Erm, okay, so I lied. It just wouldn't seem right putting Haruka at any other position than number two behind the bubuzuke woman.

Mai-Otome: -
Allowing myself a couple of extra slots due to characters from 0~S.ifr making regular appearances.

1. Haruka Armitage (surprise surprise)
  2. Nina Wáng - yet again, I am betrayed by my weakness for a cutesy tragic quasi-villain.
  3. Eliot Chandler - I've no idea what it is about Elli-chin, but, whatever it is, I like it.
  4. Arika Yumemiya - another character who initially annoyed me (mainly by not being Mai), but she is Haruka's ideal of GUTS!!!!! personified.
  5. Lena Sayers - the most badass Otome of them all, as well as the culmination of Searrs' efforts.
  6. Yukino Chrysant - emerging from Haruka's considerable shadow to provide steely determination and political will. Awesome.
  7. Irina Woods - because who doesn't love a genki tech girl?
  8. Bruce Banin Windbloom - chivalrous, mysterious, magnificent.
  9. Nagi Dài Artai - yes, he's a total piece of work - it's just that he's so... charming with it. Evil supergenius in a bizarre, small package.
  10. Tomoe Marguerite - a trajectory as interesting as her asymmetrical barnet.
  11. Gal - because who doesn't love a genki tech girl!borg?
  12. Maria Graceburt - whatever her age, Maria remains the steadfast epitome of what an Otome ought to be.

Awesome list, Elf! There's a slight contrast to your Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome lists. For Mai-HiME, you ranked the underrated characters quite high! Takumi is well loved, but I noticed fans don't love him as much as most of the HiME. The top billing of your Mai-Otome is made up of popular characters in Arika and Nina! I'd argue that Haruka Armitage is also a fan favorite compared to Suzushiro. XD So yeah, it's cool to see a cool mix of underrated and popular characters in your respective lists.

Think : Hold on...did Fujino just place me in 2nd place by default?! THE GALL OF THAT WOMAN!

: You rang?!

Think : GALL! GALL

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42554
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2512

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:46 am

Being tempted here by lists... Come, witness my migraine-inspired fangirl rants... (ʘ∀ʘ)!

Mai-HiME
01. Kuga Natsuki
Reasons:
For clear reasons. She's extremely well-written and her bonds with the other characters are heartwarming to experience as they develop; her relationship with Mai in particular went from her saying "you didn't drown after all" to holding her while she breaks down crying to willingly giving up her life with Shizuru in a display of absolute faith. Her slow acceptance of the fact that she has friends to rely on is one of the most heartwarming parts of the show, equal to Mai's relationship with Mikoto and Takumi.
She has all the traits I find likeable in a character: she's blunt and honest without being cruel; she's shy and awkward without being a doormat; she's serious and determined while still having a sense of humour. Her flaws, too, are present without being exaggerated: she's insensitive and brash and finds it difficult to express herself because she's not really in tune with people's emotions or needs, including her own. None of this is taken to the point of parody, though, because Natsuki is still a fundamentally good person, and her affection for the people she likes is still obvious to them (which is why watching them call her out on it is great fun).
Natsuki's relationship with the rest of the cast is super well-thought out: Mai's personability and her frank nature, as well as her refusal to accept Natsuki's botched attempts to distance herself because she can tell it's a load of nonsense; Shizuru's persistence in reaching out to her when nobody else would, her odd sense of humour, all combining with an ability to intuit Natsuki's boundaries when she feels herself crossing one (and, well, the understated attraction between the two); Nao's similarity in mindset and competitiveness, being a person Natsuki can butt heads with, who understands her on a level others can't... Yeah. They all help show different aspects to Natsuki's personality.
Also, girl is a gay character portrayed in a uniquely respectful way. Her sexuality is mentioned multiple times by other characters before Natsuki herself realises, and it's easy to deny that part of yourself when you're busy throwing yourself into other things, especially if you're not all that in tune with your own feelings like Natsuki is. I also like how Shizuru is clearly positioned in the "love interest" role from the start, and there are subtle things that show how much Natsuki does in fact care for her (e.g. her first thought is to head to Shizuru when she loses her underwear, and her reaction to seeing Shizuru standing by the window in the sunset is to blush softly). Comparing her treatment of Takeda's awkward attempts at conversation to Shizuru's teasing is like night and day: she's angry and hostile to him, using the most insulting language possible to refer to him, whereas Shizuru gets nothing more than a visual form of a flustered keysmash. I enjoy Takeda's presence for how useful he is in showing the contrast between the two.
I'm here for characters like Natsuki 24/7, 52/365. I'd come back from Hell specifically for them, actually.

02. Fujino Shizuru
Reasons:
Honestly, for the most part, I just find her enjoyable to watch. She's sarcastic, smug, lazy, and has a habit of dropping wicked one-liners. The part in episode 4 where she shows up after Natsuki blows out Mai's apartment window just to say "maybe Takeda escaped from the chapel!" and rub it in how wrong Haruka was made me snort when I first watched it. Shizuru puts exactly zero effort into her extracurricular responsibilities beyond what Natsuki requires. Sure, I feel bad for Haruka, but as a viewer, Shizuru is hilarious. And, as someone who did the exact same thing during her tenure as student council president, a little bit of nostalgia, too...
On a more personal note, it's nice to see a character whose conflict regarding their sexuality is written as a part of her overall arc rather than being either ignored or the entire summation of it. While she definitely has some internalised homophobia to get over, it's more a reflection of her tendency towards repressing her feelings than it is anything else. It's clear she keeps up an image of herself being a respectable onee-san that only Natsuki and Reito see past, with Haruka viewing her more as a rival to beat than a person to make friends with. That's compounded by her response to her breakdown: after killing the First District and removing the direct threats to Natsuki's life, she changes back into her school uniform, goes back to the student council room, and remains there drinking tea until Natsuki seeks her out, essentially trying to pretend everything has gone back to normal.
Having said that, and even though she's my second favourite, I'd've liked more exploration of why this is, and to see more of how it impacts her relationships with her peers. I know it must be isolating, and her feelings for Natsuki are well-foreshadowed, but I want to see more of Shizuru's flaws on their own merits, too. I do enjoy the subtlety of her breakdown--that she couldn't see any way out of the Carnival, given that, no matter what she did, Natsuki would die; that her feelings for Natsuki were what put her in danger with regards to the MIP system, and that adds weight to her internal sense of self-hatred and reinforces her idea that her feelings are disgusting/wrong--but I think it could've been included a little better, maybe through a one-off line during the scene where she kills Haruka (e.g. "Choose to fight, and I lose Natsuki; choose to surrender, and I lose Natsuki... But now, I've lost her anyway", or something, y'know?).
I originally thought that we saw enough of Shizuru as required by the plot, but I've changed my mind a little on this. Shizuru is to Natsuki what Tate is to Mai, and I think we definitely needed some more explanation of Shizuru's background given how important she is to Natsuki's arc. Shizuru also takes two HiME out of the equation and murders the leaders of the First District, and, outside of Mikoto and maybe Alyssa, she's the only person to actually kill a human being, unconnected to the HiME struggle. She doesn't mess around using Kiyohime to spare her the effort, she gets right up and personal with her naginata. It's odd we wouldn't really get an explanation of how she's capable of that, or even a hint into what her background is.

03. Yuuki Nao
Reasons:
There's not much to say here, other than my love for tragic antagonists like this. Nao is bitter and lonely and jealous and has all of the traits that'd make it easy to hate her, but Mai-HiME toes the line wonderfully with still making her likeable. They give her enough moments to see her when she's warming up to the main characters to show that she's kinda like a mistreated cat; slow to trust and needing a lot of coaxing to get there., but ultimately has the potential to be very sweet.
One of my favourite scenes of Nao's is the karaoke session in episode 16. I love how she starts off giving Natsuki shit (that Natsuki gleefully returns when it's Nao's chance to sing), only to end up lounging in her lap out of exhaustion by the end of it. That gradual ingratiation into the HiME Sentai is especially bittersweet when you realise it barely takes a day or two for the rest of the cast to turn on her and confirm her worst suspicions about there not being anybody out there on "her side". It's sad, too, since her initial response to what she thinks is Natsuki attacking her is a kind of lowkey enjoyment at getting to fight, which turns into a "Kuga, what the Hell?", and then immediately flees when she realises that she could actually get hurt. She doesn't attack in earnest and start chasing everyone down until Natsuki seems determined to not hear her out and she's already lost her eye.
The fact that she can go out of her way to target two of the most-liked members of the cast and still come across as sympathetic is pretty amazing, so credit to the writers there. It doesn't even seem like she's doing it out of malice or any genuine intent to take pleasure in hurting them, either; it's all an attempt to establish some stability by putting herself in an advantageous position where she feels more secure. She's lashing out because lashing out makes her feel like she's in control and not like a victim, and she's still really hurting from the fact that people she's begun to trust instantly betrayed her with what seems like a complete lie as justification.
When she lashes out at Takumi to get at Mai, it's because she's angry that they're so similar and yet nobody views her as a dutiful daughter the same way they view Mai as a dutiful sister. They're both dedicating their lives to taking care of a family member, and yet Mai gets all the credit and nobody seems to want to hear Nao out. She wants people to notice her suffering and insecurities without having to admit to having them, because admitting it shifts the power balance away from her and to the people she's relying on to comfort her.
When she's got Natsuki at her mercy, too, she seems reluctant to actually harm her beyond the initial capture, wondering out loud why, when she has Natsuki exactly where she wants her in the state that she wants her, it still doesn't make her feel any better.
Man, to this day, nothing in Mai-HiME hits me harder than Nao falling to the floor and crying out for her mother, ignored by both Natsuki and Shizuru. Despite her best efforts in orchestrating what must be the biggest cry for help in history, she ends up being just a footnote in two other character's reconciliation. As she says in her character song, isn't there anybody to reach out for her?! o(〒﹏〒)o
Nao is a girl who's desperate for a hug and too vulnerable to ask for one, because to ask and be rejected might just be too much.

04. Suzushiro Haruka
Reasons:
Another character who's extremely entertaining to watch. She's proud, headstrong, does her best, is easily flustered, has a strong moral compass that she believes in whole-heartedly (for good and for ill), and doesn't shy away from a challenge. Even when that challenge is facing down a tank, or a giant mecha demon squid from another world, or a naginata wielded by a lady you've just managed to piss off phenomenally. And, well, whether she's short-sighted or just dumb, I love that she doesn't back down and faces all of her problems head-on.
She may be number 4, but to put her here, I, uh... Had to conveniently ignore her rant against Shizuru in that one episode. I'd find it difficult to like a character who vocally disapproves of my existence, y'know? ( ̄▽ ̄*)ゞ Poor Yukino, though, to have Haruka attempt to defend her honour against those "slanderous accusations"... That're actually true!
But, no character is perfect. Haruka placing the same high expectations on everyone else as she does on herself is part of her flaws, and her narrow-minded impatience for those who don't live up to her standards can be good or bad depending on the standard in question. It's not like she's the only Japanese girl to be resilient towards expressions of homosexuality, especially when she's so concerned about propriety.
And she does have every right to call Shizuru out for kissing Natsuki when she was asleep; that's a creepy trope and I hate it and dang if I wasn't calling Shizuru out myself when it happened. If only Haruka kept her condemnation to that kiss, instead of the "gay" thing in general.

05. Tokiha Mai
Reasons:
I've already explained a lot about this in the two episode commentaries I've done so far, but it bears repeating here: I love how relatable she is. A lot of protagonists, especially female ones, don't have their own goals or motivations outside of "living a normal school life", but Mai is driven and passionate about real, tangible issues that we can easily understand: she wants to look after her sick brother and make sure that he's got the care he needs while keeping herself afloat.
She's also friendly without being simpering, nice without being overbearing, has normal hobbies and interests (like karaoke and dressing up!), and she has a wicked sense of humour. She doesn't take any crap and can give as good as she gets. She's a real firecracker.
I also love how well this ties into her backstory. Yes, she's grown to be responsible out of necessity, but it becomes increasingly clear as the series draws on that her hypercompetence and her focus on taking care of Mikoto and Takumi are just ways for her to avoid facing her personal issues, and that she begins to panic about her own life when that escapism is taken from her.
That's why, when she's laying it on thick with the "I'm stressed so I'm going to focus on Takumi instead of thinking about it", hearing that her attitude has actually been causing him sadness to the point of him regretting being born causes her to get increasingly unstable. And, then, when she loses Takumi completely, she starts lashing out, only to get even more despondent when she thinks that she's lost Mikoto as well.
The fact that Mai is allowed to have her periods of "unlikeability" where she's attacking other cast members or acting out towards them due to an easy misconception or a buildup of stress ironically heightens her likeability overall. It's much easier to relate to a character when they're allowed to be flawed.

06. Tokiha Takumi
Reasons:
I genuinely can't articulate my thoughts beyond "I love this boy!". I love him. This is a soft boy. A kind boy. A pure boy. A boy who loves to cook and loves his sister. A good boy. The best boy, in fact. Every ounce of this perfect boy was painstakingly crafted with God himSELF as the architect, and He did not delegate a SECOND of development time; Takumi was delivered to Earth from a heavenly womb, riding on the backs of angels in-flight, and placed with utmost gentleness DIRECTLY into Mai's waiting arms.
I love this boy.

07. Kanzaki Reito
Reasons:
This is kind of brief, and it's a summation of what I've already said elsewhere, but I love the idea of him as a Byronic hero. The idea of him struggling to overcome the influence of something inside of him and using his feelings for Mai as motivation to fight back against it is extremely interesting, and I love to contrast that with Shizuru's love for Natsuki as well. I love it when characters have these core similarities that're explored within the narrative in alternative ways (hence why I love Natsuki, Mai, Mikoto, and Nao so much - they're all different interpretations of the same sole concept).
Aside from that, I also enjoy what we see of him when he's not the Obsidian Lord. He's polite, respectful, charming, he's got a bit of gentlemanly boyishness about him, he spars well with Shizuru without being insulting or degrading, he's supportive of Mai and emotionally frank with her. I like it when male characters are allowed to be open with how they feel (see: Takumi), and I like it when they're firm with their affections for another (unlike Tate) without being pushy (unlike Takeda).
And, sure, he might just be manipulating her, but the way he understands that Mai doesn't feel ready to talk about what's happening and affirms that he won't badger her about it while still ensuring she knows he's there for her is A+ for me. The way he cares for her when she's upset and lets her break down near him without putting pressure on her to explain more than she's comfortable with was such a good moment, and I like to believe that was genuine affection on his part.

08. Minagi Mikoto
Reasons:
An excellent character concept, well-explored. She's essentially Mai-HiME's version of a child soldier learning that she's more than just a weapon, and learning what it takes to be a regular member of society. Watching her try and cope with emotional complexity that she's never been taught or prepared for while also trying to understand a world completely out of her frame of understanding can be both funny and heart-wrenching depending on the context, and both are wielded supremely well.
I find some similarities to Nao here, weirdly enough: both characters are attempting to follow a rule they've been taught or taught themselves--for Nao, it's that revenge is the way forward; for Mikoto, it's to follow orders--in order to stop themselves from feeling upset or rejected, only to realise that it isn't actually making them feel better, and is in fact making them feel worse. Both Nao and Mikoto are backed into a lonely corner that neither of them want to be in, and both of them don't have any idea of how to fix it. The main difference between them is that Mikoto isn't too proud to stop her emotional conflict from manifesting, and that allows Mai to see how much Mikoto doesn't actually want to be fighting here, whereas Nao's forced independence makes her unwilling to reach out for reconciliation.
It'd be so easy to have done Mikoto wrong, or have written her to be too stupid, or too feral, or something else... So the fact that they pulled off mixing Mikoto's childlike innocence, her desire for independence, and her feral brutality all together into a coherent whole is actually pretty darn cool.

09. Kikukawa Yukino
Reasons:
For similar reasons to Mai, actually; as Mai is a realistic take on a normal, friendly person, Yukino is a realistic take on a painfully shy character. Her habit of standing by without interfering is played pretty straight in the first half, with her affection for Haruka obvious, but, like everything else in the Carnival arc, it comes to bite her in the ass in multiple ways. Much like Shiho, she's a fundamentally nice person who got the real rough end of the HiME-star stick, but I way prefer Yukino to Shiho (mostly because, even in her worst moments, I still find Yukino endearing).
She's easily manipulated into trying to sneak attack Mai, but isn't confident enough to resist the temptation or cruel enough to go through with it. She's then observing Shizuru presumably out of concern for Natsuki, but can't be confident enough to tell Haruka where they both are. Then, she tries to blackmail Shizuru into coming back to the school for Haruka's sake, bringing up the kiss and threatening to tell Natsuki about it, leading to Shizuru bringing up Yukino's feelings for Haruka... And then Haruka steps up, insulted on Yukino's behalf, and she wilts behind her during the tirade (not least, I'm sure, because of how deflated she is about Haruka's views on the feelings shared by Shizuru and Yukino) until it's too late and Haruka's provoked Shizuru beyond reason.
I guess it's clear already, but I'm personally of the belief that nothing untoward happened besides the kiss, mostly because it doesn't seem to make any narrative sense for it to have. I won't go into why here, but, yeah.
I love Yukino. I love her because I think she's a good person trying to do her best for Haruka, but is too weak to see anything through, which results in things being worse than if she hadn't tried anything at all. She's both too kind to hurt anyone and too weak to resist trying.

10. Sanada Yukariko
Reasons:
A unique and tragic character, honestly. I'm not sure about how enjoyable she is to watch on the screen, but by sheer virtue of being so interesting, she's number 10 on here. I love the idea of her being a weak, naive, isolated person, easily manipulated by someone who gives her the hint of a lie she's so desperate to believe.
There may even be an interesting contrast between her and Shizuru, since the two of them clearly have a lot of internal conflict regarding their sexualities and expression of self. For Yukariko, she represses all of her sexual feelings, which leads to a buildup of curiosity that she's not allowed herself to explore and is easily usurped by Ishigami to make her dependent on him; for Shizuru, she's repressing her own self behind a veneer of shallow flirtation (Reito himself calls her out for this, when she chastises him for flirting casually with Mai and he returns that she's doing the same thing) while hiding her legitimate feelings of love for Natsuki. So, while Yukariko represses primarily sexual feelings, which precipitates her easy seduction, Shizuru represses primarily emotional ones, which precipitates her decline in sanity.
It's also interesting to contrast their attitudes towards their actions, too. Yukariko is shown to be ashamed and embarrassed, making attempts to resist Ishigami, but going through with it regardless because she feels like she's already isolated everyone else regardless. She doesn't feel any genuine affection for him after his true motivations are revealed, since she tries to kill him once and then succeeds in killing him and herself (another parallel with Shizuru/Natsuki...) afterwards, when she realises that she can't live with herself if she doesn't put an end to it.
On the other hand, Shizuru's actions are primarily protective, and it's clear that her self-hatred comes more from how disgusted she assumes Natsuki is with her, rather than disgust with for how Natsuki is "making" her act. Everything she does is a twisted kind of love offering, like, "here, I'll do these terrible things so that you don't have to, because I love you", and Natsuki's protests just reaffirm her belief that, because she's so terrible, she should be the one to shoulder the burden of killing the people Natsuki wants revenge against, rather than Natsuki herself.
And, well, at the end of the day, there's something to be said for the idea of a character who knows both that they're doing something wrong and that they're too weak to do anything else. For her to choose death, knowing that choosing life would be to choose submission, is Yukariko's way of overcoming that deficiency.
So, yeah. While I might not get fired up about Yukariko on-screen, I do find her a singularly fascinating character. A bit like a fresh take on Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame. The book version.

My HiME list is very, very close. My top 3 changed frequently over the ~7 years of my fandom life before settling into what it is now, although the people who make up that top 3 have been consistent. That's why there's so much written on those, and comparatively little for the others. Honourable mentions go to Shiho and Midori, the former I sympathise with immensely and the latter I find super fun to watch. For minor characters, I enjoy Sakomizu and Youko.

I'm gonna write up my Mai-Otome list later, but it's not going to be as extensive as this. I don't know why I keep telling myself that I'm not gonna end up writing an essay; who am I trying to kid? I can't shut myself up when I want to!

Also, Axa... This was 3.7k words! (/▽\*)

Edit:
Preliminary Mai-Otome List (Subject to Change):
1. Natsuki Kruger
2. Nina Wang
3. Juliet Nao Zhang
4. Arika Yumemiya
5. Mashiro Blan de Windbloom
6. Haruka Armitage
7. Shiho Huit
8. Tokiha Mai
9. Shizuru Viola
10. Yukino Chrysant

Heh. At least Haruka gets to beat Shizuru in my Otome ranking. (˘▽˘)

Last edited by Akamanto on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:26 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed Mai-Otome ranking. Added some more detail to the Shizuru section and clarified other points.)
Akamanto
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top