Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Translation - General Progress

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Translation - General Progress

Post by Akamanto on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:39 am

At the suggestion of the good ol' Luu Sky Sapphire, I decided to make a thread about the various translations I'm doing and my progress on them all as I go along. I'm translating stuff from other fandoms (namely, Ga-Rei -Zero- and Haruhi Suzumiya franchise), so updates won't be too frequent (especially during conference season for work and exam season for university), but I'm going to try my best to update this as I make progress. Hopefully, this will keep me focused...

This post will be a master post with links to the individual translations and sharing rough percentages on how far I'm along with each thing. My biases will be pretty obvious in the "character song" section, and, well. I don't have very good listening comprehension for various reasons, so drama CDs will take way longer.

So, without further ado, here's my progress so far. 〈(•ˇ‿ˇ•)-→

Mai-HiME

Character Songs
Tokiha Mai - Happiness [0%]
Sugiura Midori - Susume! Gakuten-Ou [0%]
Yuuki Nao - Innocent
Minagi Mikoto - Pokapoka Pekopeko [0%]
Higurashi Akane - Soyokaze no Diary [0%]
Munakata Shiho - Love Rocket Pilot [0%]
Kuga Natsuki - Kirei na Yume no Sono Hate ni

Suzushiro Haruka & Kikukawa Yukino - Bokutachi no Yuuki [0%]
Miyu Greer - Angel's Dew [0%]
Harada Chie & Senou Aoi - Houkago Hide & Seek [0%]
Okuzaki Akira - Kurenai no Ninpuu Rekkaden [0%]
Sanada Yukariko - Ashita no Anata [20%] (Finished writing up Japanese.)
Fujino Shizuru - Katakoi Enka [70%] (Dialogue needs transcribing.)
Fumi Himeno & Kazahana Mashiro - Rasen Teien [20%] (Finished writing up Japanese.)

Drama CDs
tba

Art Book
Episode Summary [30%]

Mai-Otome

Character Songs
Nina Wang - storm

tba

Mai-HiME★Destiny

Ryuu no Miko - Prison Cast [15%]
Character Biographies [15%]
Chapter 01 [50%] (Needs refining.)
Chapter 02 [20%]
Chapter 03 [10%]
Chapter 04 [10%]
Chapter 05 [5%]
Chapter 06 [0%]
Afterword [0%]

Mai-HiME: Unmei no Keitouju

tba

Last edited by Akamanto on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated progress on: Kirei na Yume no Sono Hate ni.)
Akamanto
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 159
Armitage GUTS!!! : 36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Character Songs

Post by Akamanto on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:23 am

Mai-HiME

Yuuki Nao - Innocent
Kuga Natsuki - Kirei na Yume no Sono Hate ni

Mai-Otome

Nina Wang - storm

Last edited by Akamanto on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:15 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed it so that you don't have to download anything.)
Akamanto
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Translation - General Progress

Post by Break String SpinElf on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Nice, nice, NICE!

Been pulling many all-nighters by any chance? Wink
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 968
Armitage GUTS!!! : 97

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:30 pm

Break String SpinElf wrote:Nice, nice, NICE!

Been pulling many all-nighters by any chance? Wink
You got that right! (+﹏+。);;;  So many shifts, so little time... But, working on these translations is a huge amount of fun, when I can get to making progress on it. Reading light novels is a great way to realise how little kanji you know, hehe... (#ˇ⊆ˇ#)>

Also, I'm unsure of how to format these posts. Links to external sites, maybe? The word counts might get too long, otherwise.
Akamanto
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:09 am

Akamanto wrote:You got that right! (+﹏+。);;;  So many shifts, so little time... But, working on these translations is a huge amount of fun, when I can get to making progress on it. Reading light novels is a great way to realise how little kanji you know, hehe... (#ˇ⊆ˇ#)>
Well, I must say it's very much appreciated.

Plus, I'll bet it's a good exercise to increase your fluency in Japanese (for which I hold you in awe).

Akamanto wrote:Also, I'm unsure of how to format these posts. Links to external sites, maybe? The word counts might get too long, otherwise.
If Luu's okay with it and you have a site where you post them, I'm sure that'd work, especially with regards to the longer pieces (I notice you're translating chapters of Destiny, so that's plenty of text...).
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 968
Armitage GUTS!!! : 97

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:10 am

Break String SpinElf wrote:Well, I must say it's very much appreciated.

Plus, I'll bet it's a good exercise to increase your fluency in Japanese (for which I hold you in awe).
You should see how often I have to consult my dictionary for some of this before you say you're in awe, haha! (⌒▽⌒)ゞ I remember when I first started reading, I'd never heard the word エゾヤマザクラ before, and it turns out it's a specific species of cherry blossom.

Break String SpinElf wrote:If Luu's okay with it and you have a site where you post them, I'm sure that'd work, especially with regards to the longer pieces (I notice you're translating chapters of Destiny, so that's plenty of text...).
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. ʅฺ(⊡⊆⊡)ʃฺ The Destiny chapters are quite long, so if I want to include the Japanese, it's going to have to be an external link, either to a website or a download of a word file or something. Even the song lyrics might get a bit long...

Well, I'll see what Luu says! I'm not used to sharing this stuff with people other than friends.
Akamanto
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Akamanto wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. ʅฺ(⊡⊆⊡)ʃฺ The Destiny chapters are quite long, so if I want to include the Japanese, it's going to have to be an external link, either to a website or a download of a word file or something. Even the song lyrics might get a bit long...

Well, I'll see what Luu says! I'm not used to sharing this stuff with people other than friends.

This is a great set up for your on-going progress, Akamanto! You're 100% allowed to post external links, and anything else you'll need. I only have one question, which is completely up to you. Would you like to work on this project privately? If so, this thread will be moved to the Rorschach Bar section. This is assuming you want to only share progress with us, until you're ready to share publicly. Or would you like to keep this thread as is? Members and guests will have access to your progress on Mai-HiME Destiny.

Whatever you feel more comfortable with is the best decision. Arika Yumemiya

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42568
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2512

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:13 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:This is a great set up for your on-going progress, Akamanto! You're 100% allowed to post external links, and anything else you'll need.
In that case, I'll see if I can upload them to my MEGA account in .pdf form, since that might be easier to read, and less word count-intensive. Will do that tonight, as well as do some rewording of the first "section" of Destiny's first chapter. ε=ε=(ง ˃ᗨ˂)۶

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Or would you like to keep this thread as is? Members and guests will have access to your progress on Mai-HiME Destiny.
Oh, I don't mind it being here! It was more of an explanation about why I'm not sure on procedure. I know some sites prefer all content to be hosted on their site, so I wanted to make sure before posting external links. (☆ω☆) Now that I know it's okay, I'll edit my posts.

Small preview of Destiny:
It was a sight so perfect, you’d expect to find it on a postcard. With the verdant horizon emerging within the clear light of May, it was one of the few places in Japan where you could really appreciate the curve of the Earth beneath you.

It was this picturesque snapshot that a single passenger car, conspicuously distinct from the scenery around it, happened to cut its way through.

It was enough to put a frown on the face of any painter who saw it, would make them grumble loudly as they fold their easel and give the whole thing up, their peaceful landscape painting ruined.

Giving it up, just for one car? Well, for one, the feel of it was completely off: far too luxurious, foreign-made, painted completely black – the type you’d use to ferry about some important politician – and it was hurtling across the countryside as if it’d never heard of a “speed limit”. Of course no normal person would want to be involved.

This suspiciously foreign car carried on like this for another rough 30 kilometres before slowing down to take the next turn. It pulled onto a winding road that narrowed further with each bend, until, eventually, it reached a short forest path, hidden from the prying eyes of biking tourists and stray backpackers.

There, beckoned by the white petals of the cherry blossoms, the car stopped, and two men emerged from the front seats: the driver in sunglasses, the other with a moustache. Both of them gave a cursory glance around, clearly on-guard against something.

You’d hope that, with the kind of car they were riding, they’d look the part, with fancy black suits and the flippant carelessness of someone who knows they’re in control.

But…

If you know where to look, there’s not much you can’t find, no matter how secretive your forest road. The men’s faces were peppered with bruises, their suits dirty and torn, and, as if that wasn’t enough, they were accompanied by a passenger whose strangeness outstripped it all.

“We’re here,” said the moustached-man, gently opening the rear door.

Translating prose is a little new to me, so I'm agonising over it a little, but, hey, a challenge can be fun! (。◕‿◕。)

Last edited by Akamanto on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a little preview.)
Akamanto
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto Yesterday at 9:30 pm

Posted Natsuki's character song here!

This one had a really tricky two lines in it (namely, 「戸惑うほどにあなたの背中・少年の切なさ」), so I'll explain my thought process a little. The first line is pretty straight-forward, meaning roughly "how much confusion can you carry on your back", but the second line is literally translated as "the heartbreak of a little boy".

I don't know if it's some kind of idiomatic expression I'm just not aware of, but I took a guess based on the rest of the verse (and the song in general) being about Shizuru trying to carry all her burdens herself and Natsuki wanting her to share them with her, and eventually decided to translate it the way I have.

My logic was that Natsuki was comparing Shizuru to a young boy trying to bear the weight of the world on his back and collapsing under its weight. I'm not sure if this is accurate or not. All I can do is hope (until someone corrects me!).

Boy, am I looking forward to Christmas... I want to do some more of this. Where's my free time gone? (๑-﹏-๑)

Edit: A lot of the lines seem to be hinting towards Natsuki singing this from just before she goes off to fight Shizuru. The song mentions using the power of her star and the moon behind it, and the final line, literally translated, means: "For the sake of meeting in a new life". I wasn't sure how to square that with the present/future tense used in the rest of the song, so I translated it as I did, but I wanted to add a little bit of clarification about the intent of that last paragraph.

Last edited by Akamanto on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a little note.)
Akamanto
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top