Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Waaaatcha doing right now? Part 14~

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Waaaatcha doing right now? Part 14~

Post by Break String SpinElf on Wed May 31, 2017 1:05 pm

Watching paint dry. Literally.

Akamanto wrote:You know... I had no idea about all of these grammatical terms until I studied Latin as part of my degree, and then I started getting interested in other languages' grammar from that!
It is quite fascinating when one looks at languages and sees how they're put together. I remember watching some interesting stuff on YouTube about the development of (proto-)Romance from Vulgar Latin, how the nouns come from the accusative etc. and the formation of the passive voice in the Romance languages. I really enjoyed learning some basic Romanian due to some of its foibles (like Scandinavian languages, the definite article appears as a suffix) and, I do confess, I almost had a minor nerdgasm when I discovered how the definite article is expressed in Latvian.

Akamanto wrote:And the only reason I remembered the subjunctive form in Latin was... Through this sentence: "oro ut tuas mamillas mihi demonstres".

Whatever works, hey? (⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)ゞ
My Latin is pretty basic but, if I'm reading that correctly...

... I'm pretty sure that's not one of Cicero's better-known orations.
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 887
Armitage GUTS!!! : 94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Trying to organise. Badly. Hahhh...

Break String SpinElf wrote:I really enjoyed learning some basic Romanian due to some of its foibles (like Scandinavian languages, the definite article appears as a suffix) and, I do confess, I almost had a minor nerdgasm when I discovered how the definite article is expressed in Latvian.
Oh, that's interesting! I've always wanted to learn an Eastern European language (as well as Farsi!), and I know some Hungarian and Lithuanian, since my ex was from Lithuania, but... I'm afraid I don't know much about Latvian.

If you want to have a short nerdgasm here, I'd love to hear it. ♡ ~('▽^人)

Break String SpinElf wrote:My Latin is pretty basic but, if I'm reading that correctly...

More Catullus than Cicero, huh? (ノ▽°*);; But, it was fun to talk to my friend and try and think of silly sentences in Latin that could help us remember the conjugations for certain tenses and moods.
Akamanto
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 110
Armitage GUTS!!! : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:01 pm

Enjoying a cool breeze and cool vape.

Akamanto wrote:
Break String SpinElf wrote:I really enjoyed learning some basic Romanian due to some of its foibles (like Scandinavian languages, the definite article appears as a suffix) and, I do confess, I almost had a minor nerdgasm when I discovered how the definite article is expressed in Latvian.
Oh, that's interesting! I've always wanted to learn an Eastern European language (as well as Farsi!), and I know some Hungarian and Lithuanian, since my ex was from Lithuania, but... I'm afraid I don't know much about Latvian.
Really? Hungarian = badass. I understand that it's at the more difficult end of the spectrum, what with the approximately 161 noun cases.

As for Lithuanian, that's actually next on my list (mainly to compare & contrast with Latvian). I got into Latvian from speaking to a Latvian friend from this very Forum. After reading the national epic "Bearslayer," and looking for a more difficult language challenge (up to that point, it'd been Romance languages & Swedish), Latvian seemed to be the logical choice. Plus, against all the odds, I'm enjoying it.

Akamanto wrote:If you want to have a short nerdgasm here, I'd love to hear it. ♡ ~('▽^人)
I'm afraid there's not much to hear, just a series of odd noises & murmurs.

Akamanto wrote:
Break String SpinElf wrote:My Latin is pretty basic but, if I'm reading that correctly...

More Catullus than Cicero, huh? (ノ▽°*);; But, it was fun to talk to my friend and try and think of silly sentences in Latin that could help us remember the conjugations for certain tenses and moods.
laugh ever so slightly. I was thinking that it seemed the sort of phrase that Catullus might've come up with in one of his less inspired moments. Which, of course, begs the question as to whether or not his beloved Lesbia would've obliged.
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:58 am

Playing Viscera Cleanup Detail in annoyance. Miss a call from a doctor and suddenly it's "there's no record of anybody calling you". You wanna square that with my call history and voicemail messages, huh? (°ㅂ°╬)

Break String SpinElf wrote:Really? Hungarian = badass. I understand that it's at the more difficult end of the spectrum, what with the approximately 161 noun cases.
Haha! At least they're all different, so you can't mix the ablative with the nominative, or anything. One of the biggest barriers to me was just memorising the genders of the words, rather than their grammatical cases!

Verbs, on the other hand... Well, there's a reason I only know a little Hungarian. (*/ω\)

Break String SpinElf wrote:As for Lithuanian, that's actually next on my list (mainly to compare & contrast with Latvian). I got into Latvian from speaking to a Latvian friend from this very Forum. ... Plus, against all the odds, I'm enjoying it.
Same reason I got into Lithuanian, then, it seems! But, although I might be biased, I will say that Lithuanian is the most attractive Eastern European language to me, so you have a lot to look forward to. ('▽^人)

I enjoy myself learning languages, too, though!

Akamanto wrote:laugh ever so slightly. I was thinking that it seemed the sort of phrase that Catullus might've come up with in one of his less inspired moments. Which, of course, begs the question as to whether or not his beloved Lesbia would've obliged.
I may not have Catullus' grace, but could Catullus type really fast like I can? I bet not. So I have that going for me, at least! (⇀ 3 ↼)

One day, I'll be on the level of my idols, Tacitus and Cicero. Until then, I'll amuse myself with mamillis.
Akamanto
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:25 pm

About to start work on the next phase of my little project.

Akamanto wrote:But, although I might be biased, I will say that Lithuanian is the most attractive Eastern European language to me, so you have a lot to look forward to. ('▽^人)
Good, good! :3 I'm not sure when I'll be starting but I'm sure it'll be an interesting ride.

I'm vaguely aware that the Baltic languages, Lithuanian in particular, are of paramount importance in Indo-European studies and comparative philology (though, given that my knowledge of linguistics is me being vaguely aware of its existence...).

Akamanto wrote:I enjoy myself learning languages, too, though!
Yes, it definitely broadens the mind. Personally, my major aim is to get to a competent reading level in various languages (I doubt I'd ever have the competence or confidence to engage in an extensive verbal communication with a native and I have no immediate plans to travel abroad) and, hey, it's working to some extent, which feels pretty awesome.

Akamanto wrote:I may not have Catullus' grace, but could Catullus type really fast like I can? I bet not. So I have that going for me, at least! (⇀ 3 ↼)
Apologies, I meant no offence and I'm sure that's exactly the sort of thing Catullus may have written, had there been something akin to Viz in the Roman world. Plus, I have it on good authority that the great man was a terrible one-finger typist at best.

Akamanto wrote:One day, I'll be on the level of my idols, Tacitus and Cicero. Until then, I'll amuse myself with mamillis.
And, one day, I'll be on your level.  Happy That needs some work, though, as, though Latin was my best subject at school, I'm pretty much out of practice (in fact, it seems like I was learning it back in Roman times :S). It would help if the Cambridge Latin Course appeared online again. I'm pining for Quintus and his adventures.
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:35 pm

Writing. Something personal, though. __〆( ̄ー ̄ )

Break String SpinElf wrote:though, given that my knowledge of linguistics is me being vaguely aware of its existence...
Haha! One of my friends studied it, but I dunno much about it myself. Besides the occasional "huh, this Latin word sounds like an English one".

Break String SpinElf wrote:I doubt I'd ever have the competence or confidence to engage in an extensive verbal communication with a native and I have no immediate plans to travel abroad
This is my goal with learning. I have a few friends who're tolerant of my bad grammar to help me practice, but it's definitely embarrassing when they correct me on something basic.

Japanese is easy, though; if you don't understand something, you can just say, "ah, I see!", or "that's right!", or "seriously?" as a substitute. N-Not that I've ever done that, obviously.

...ε=ε=┌(#>_<)┘

Break String SpinElf wrote:Apologies, I meant no offence and I'm sure that's exactly the sort of thing Catullus may have written, had there been something akin to Viz in the Roman world. Plus, I have it on good authority that the great man was a terrible one-finger typist at best.
Oh, I was just joking around; sorry for the confusion! But, hey - I'm not one to turn down a good compliment on my quick-typing. (=`ω´=) My ego thrives on it, in fact.

Break String SpinElf wrote:It would help if the Cambridge Latin Course appeared online again. I'm pining for Quintus and his adventures.
Do you have any textbooks at all? I used two to facilitate my learning it: Wheelock's Latin and Reading Latin: Grammar. I thought they were two different approaches to learning it--the former being speaking it fluently and the latter speaking it academically--which helped me formulate a more rounded impression of it.

It really is a cool language! And the fact that it's a dead language means that there aren't any natives to embarrass with my bad skills, hah.
Akamanto
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:09 am

About to open my lovely new book. Come, book! Impart unto me thy knowledge of the edges of the world!

Akamanto wrote:Haha! One of my friends studied it, but I dunno much about it myself. Besides the occasional "huh, this Latin word sounds like an English one".
That's about the same as my philological approach. Plus, that's inspired some wonderfully, heroically-wrong (mainly Victorian) speculation about, say, the Mesoamerican language Otomi ( laugh hey, that's almost on topic!) being related to Chinese or, more recently, Jim Allen's bizarre derivation of the name of Atlantis from Nahuatl atl & Quechua (I think) antis.

Akamanto wrote:This is my goal with learning. I have a few friends who're tolerant of my bad grammar to help me practice, but it's definitely embarrassing when they correct me on something basic.
I know that feeling! Sad

Akamanto wrote:Japanese is easy, though; if you don't understand something, you can just say, "ah, I see!", or "that's right!", or "seriously?" as a substitute. N-Not that I've ever done that, obviously.
Mine would be to rub the back of my head and mumble "ah, sumimasen!"

Akamanto wrote:Oh, I was just joking around; sorry for the confusion! But, hey - I'm not one to turn down a good compliment on my quick-typing. (=`ω´=) My ego thrives on it, in fact.
I can type quickly too fi yuoiu dont mind lost of mistakess.

But, seriously, anyone who can type fast deserves a lot of credit. Plus, it gets essays done quicker I imagine...

Akamanto wrote:Do you have any textbooks at all? I used two to facilitate my learning it: Wheelock's Latin and Reading Latin: Grammar. I thought they were two different approaches to learning it--the former being speaking it fluently and the latter speaking it academically--which helped me formulate a more rounded impression of it.
Gratias tibi! Habeo... er, Collins Latin Dictionary Plus Grammar, through which I occasionally leaf, memorising the conjugations of nouns & verbs (then promptly forgetting them). Stultior sum quam asinus!

Akamanto wrote:It really is a cool language! And the fact that it's a dead language means that there aren't any natives to embarrass with my bad skills, hah.
Haha! True. Albeit this is the point where my inner pedant screams about it being official in the Vatican and that it's technically not dead, it's just developed into Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian and a whole host of other languages as though we're communicating in proto-Germanic, which is stupid I know but my inner pedant can be a real arsehole at times.

One Roman fact I do know, however, is that my house is about two miles west of the old road between your neck of the woods and Bremetennacum Veteranorum, apropos of nothing in particular.
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Foruming, watching Ayashi no Ceres (BLOOD SPLATTER!) and mapping out tomorrow's visit to NYC.

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42490
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2510

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Waiting. And fangirling. And slamming tea down my throat as I mitigate this migraine. (。>ω<。)

Break String SpinElf wrote:Mine would be to rub the back of my head and mumble "ah, sumimasen!"
That definitely works, too!

Break String SpinElf wrote:Plus, it gets essays done quicker I imagine...
They don't call me the eleventh-hour student for nothing; all of my essays were done ~3 hours before the deadline. I have no idea how I dragged either 2:1s or Firsts out of the nonsense I wrote.

And by "they", I mean, "me". Obviously. I called myself that. ☆⌒(ゝ。∂)

Break String SpinElf wrote:my inner pedant can be a real arsehole at times.
Well, we're all pedantic about stuff we're enthusiastic about.

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Foruming, watching Ayashi no Ceres (BLOOD SPLATTER!) and mapping out tomorrow's visit to NYC.
Oh, New York! My best friend came back from a trip around Broadway a while ago (and brought with her bragging rights for seeing Great Comet of 1812...).

Where are you planning on going?
Akamanto
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Looking out of the window.
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMikoto on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Thinking about watching something sci-fi wise in the anime categories! :D
ShadowMikoto
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 378
Armitage GUTS!!! : 55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lerena on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm traveling the magical lands of the Internet, headed on a dangerous quest throughout the legendary land of Google. As I prepare my army of brain cells for a fight against my natural enemy, the yet undefeated inner demon known as writer's block, my only thought is the enemy's minions have grown stronger from the foreboding silence inherent in a blank page.

English translation: I'm trying to find some writing ideas. While I am trying to lower my standards, I can only hope they're lowered enough.
Lerena
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist

Bubuzuke points : 3720
Armitage GUTS!!! : 556
Location : In the middle of a dark void containing me and a laptop with inter-dimensional Internet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Catching up with E3, waiting for an elusive glance at something that isn't an open-world bugfest.
Akamanto
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Bit of this, bit of that. Usual malarkey.
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Melting.
Akamanto
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Posting this.
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Playing Life Is Strange on the PS4, foruming and making screenshots.

devious Multitaskin' at the Multiverse.

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.
Luu Sky Sapphire

Bubuzuke points : 42490
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2510

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Avoiding the world.
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Watching a Granada adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, with Jeremy Brett. Got bitten by the detective bug again. (*ノ∀`*)
Akamanto
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMikoto on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Playing Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4!! :D Still got it with Ayane! :3
ShadowMikoto
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 378
Armitage GUTS!!! : 55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lerena on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Playing Fire Emblem Heroes. More specifically, the Bullshit Trials. The game's developers did fix the Tempest Trials, but I saw the sin that was the first Tempest Trials and there is nothing that can erase that experience.
Lerena

Location : In the middle of a dark void containing me and a laptop with inter-dimensional Internet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:18 am

Lerena wrote:Playing Fire Emblem Heroes. More specifically, the Bullshit Trials. The game's developers did fix the Tempest Trials, but I saw the sin that was the first Tempest Trials and there is nothing that can erase that experience.

I'm still waiting to pull Azura... (。•́︿•̀。) Got about 50 Jagens for my troubles, I guess. But, I almost have the 4* Tobin, at least!

Right now? Waiting for my phone to recover, since I got a missed call that I need to return. ☆⌒(>。<)
Akamanto
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lerena on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:52 pm

I am doing unit management in Fire Emblem Heroes. Again. Some of these units have useful skills that can be inherited, but regardless, I do not need this many 3-star Cecilia's or 3-star Jagens. I'm running out of unit space so I need to strongly consider which units are worth the slot they're taking up.
Akamanto wrote:I'm still waiting to pull Azura... (。•́︿•̀。) Got about 50 Jagens for my troubles, I guess. But, I almost have the 4* Tobin, at least!
I'm still waiting to pull Sonya. In my case, my luck has been a bit better since I've gotten two 5-stars in the process of trying to get her, but I didn't pull the right 5-star. Admittedly, while I wish I had Sonya by now, I'm sure there will be other chances to get her later on.
Lerena

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:45 am

Sweating.
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:59 am

Browsing YouTube for interviews about Wonder Woman while ill. Is it just me, or did the layout get even uglier? (; ̄Д ̄) At least it's harder to accidentally see the comment sections now.

Lerena wrote:I do not need this many 3-star Cecilia's or 3-star Jagens.
Hah! I see it's not just me struggling with the burden of 3*s they don't want. My main trashpile is filled with Jagens, Inigos, and Gwendolyns. Used to have a pile of Subakis, too, but I sacrificed them to make Severa a 5*.

Sure, she might not be a high-tier unit, but... <( ̄ ﹌  ̄)> She's one of my favourite characters! Suck it, The Meta!

Lerena wrote:I'm still waiting to pull Sonya.
I hope you get her. The only ones I want that I haven't yet got are Camilla, Minerva, and Azura. I already got Lucina, Eirika, and Severa.
Akamanto
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next