Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

HiME powers: are they genetic?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: HiME powers: are they genetic?

Post by Break String SpinElf on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:13 pm

Thanks for your input Crimson (do you mind if I style you thus?). Personally I quite like the idea that Reito & Mikoto in the anime come from a long line of Obsidian Lord vessels & their champions as per EXA. The fact that Mikoto effectively comes of an age to go in search of her brother after defeating a mentor styled as a grandfather could suggest that (if he is indeed the children's forebear) there is knowledge of the HiME Carnival and the duties assigned to the brother & sister beforehand.

Did you manage to get anywhere with EXA? I downloaded it from this very forum and remain deeply grateful to the team behind the translation.
avatar
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

Posts : 764
Bubuzuke points : 886
Armitage GUTS!!! : 94
Join date : 2013-04-27
Location : Lurking in a dark forest.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HiME powers: are they genetic?

Post by ShadowMikoto on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Break String SpinElf wrote:Thanks for your input Crimson (do you mind if I style you thus?). Personally I quite like the idea that Reito & Mikoto in the anime come from a long line of Obsidian Lord vessels & their champions as per EXA. The fact that Mikoto effectively comes of an age to go in search of her brother after defeating a mentor styled as a grandfather could suggest that (if he is indeed the children's forebear) there is knowledge of the HiME Carnival and the duties assigned to the brother & sister beforehand.

Did you manage to get anywhere with EXA? I downloaded it from this very forum and remain deeply grateful to the team behind the translation.

Hi, I am not sure what styling means? But sure, I like the sounds of it! Go ahead! ^^

I did not get the chance to find a proper download for it yet, I'm not sure if it's a problem on my side or not, but from the downloads I clicked into, nothing has been working. x.x I will try once again to download them from here!

Also, what you say about the history of Mikoto and her older brother, that is some pretty useful knowledge for me to know. I did not really pay much attention to the ongoing chain that made up the line of Obsidian Lords. But it would make sense that these HiME powers are more deeper rooted in the history. It's all interesting stuff, and something I will focus on more concisely the next time I revisit this series in hopes that I can contribute something deeper about it.
avatar
ShadowMikoto
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Posts : 303
Bubuzuke points : 376
Armitage GUTS!!! : 55
Join date : 2016-10-16
Age : 31
Location : Forest of Sprites

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HiME powers: are they genetic?

Post by Break String SpinElf on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:05 am

crimsonYukito wrote:Hi, I am not sure what styling means? But sure, I like the sounds of it! Go ahead! ^^
It's an old-fashioned way of saying call. Just basically me trying to sound smarter than I am :333

crimsonYukito wrote:I did not get the chance to find a proper download for it yet, I'm not sure if it's a problem on my side or not, but from the downloads I clicked into, nothing has been working. x.x I will try once again to download them from here!
Hmmm.... I've just checked and the file still seems to be there. You've not got an adblocker installed in your browser have you? I had trouble getting through due to mine. If you're still not having any joy, you could drop Luu-sama a PM as I'm sure he'd be willing to help out if possible.

crimsonYukito wrote:Also, what you say about the history of Mikoto and her older brother, that is some pretty useful knowledge for me to know. I did not really pay much attention to the ongoing chain that made up the line of Obsidian Lords. But it would make sense that these HiME powers are more deeper rooted in the history. It's all interesting stuff, and something I will focus on more concisely the next time I revisit this series in hopes that I can contribute something deeper about it.
Thanks. I'm glad it was useful. :3 I remember watching the series & focusing on Mikoto's character development and just seeing all these enigmatic connections. I believe that the Minagi family are pretty high status within First District and that Mikoto was groomed to serve Reito and subsequently win the carnival. Throughout much of the series, Mai's treatment of Mikoto unwittingly undermines this aim (hell, when Mai presents Mikoto with a bowl of food in episode 2, that's the first nail in the Obsidan Lord's coffin so to speak), only for the Obsidian Lord to pretty much stab Mikoto in the back by choosing Mai to become Suishouhime instead at the end. Both Mikoto & Reito (a guy brought up specifically to become a vessel for a demonic villain) are tragic figures (I still wonder how much Reito actually remembers from the times when he's under the influence of the Obsidian Lord) and it's so good to see them get a happy ending (of sorts lol).

I'm wondering what your take is on the idea that Mikoto Minagi from Mai-HiME is the same character as Nekogami-sama from Mai-Otome? Personally, I support this theory and feel that it's kind of heartwarming to see that Mikoto did indeed "win" the final HiME Carnival after a fashion, becoming a Suishouhime (albeit at the cost of having to see all of her friends - including her beloved Mai - predecease her).

[Liking the sig btw :3]
avatar
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

Posts : 764
Bubuzuke points : 886
Armitage GUTS!!! : 94
Join date : 2013-04-27
Location : Lurking in a dark forest.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HiME powers: are they genetic?

Post by ShadowMikoto on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:20 pm

Break String SpinElf wrote:
crimsonYukito wrote:Hi, I am not sure what styling means? But sure, I like the sounds of it! Go ahead! ^^
It's an old-fashioned way of saying call. Just basically me trying to sound smarter than I am :333

crimsonYukito wrote:I did not get the chance to find a proper download for it yet, I'm not sure if it's a problem on my side or not, but from the downloads I clicked into, nothing has been working. x.x I will try once again to download them from here!
Hmmm.... I've just checked and the file still seems to be there. You've not got an adblocker installed in your browser have you? I had trouble getting through due to mine. If you're still not having any joy, you could drop Luu-sama a PM as I'm sure he'd be willing to help out if possible.

crimsonYukito wrote:Also, what you say about the history of Mikoto and her older brother, that is some pretty useful knowledge for me to know. I did not really pay much attention to the ongoing chain that made up the line of Obsidian Lords. But it would make sense that these HiME powers are more deeper rooted in the history. It's all interesting stuff, and something I will focus on more concisely the next time I revisit this series in hopes that I can contribute something deeper about it.

Thanks. I'm glad it was useful. :3 I remember watching the series & focusing on Mikoto's character development and just seeing all these enigmatic connections. I believe that the Minagi family are pretty high status within First District and that Mikoto was groomed to serve Reito and subsequently win the carnival. Throughout much of the series, Mai's treatment of Mikoto unwittingly undermines this aim (hell, when Mai presents Mikoto with a bowl of food in episode 2, that's the first nail in the Obsidan Lord's coffin so to speak), only for the Obsidian Lord to pretty much stab Mikoto in the back by choosing Mai to become Suishouhime instead at the end. Both Mikoto & Reito (a guy brought up specifically to become a vessel for a demonic villain) are tragic figures (I still wonder how much Reito actually remembers from the times when he's under the influence of the Obsidian Lord) and it's so good to see them get a happy ending (of sorts lol).

I'm wondering what your take is on the idea that Mikoto Minagi from Mai-HiME is the same character as Nekogami-sama from Mai-Otome? Personally, I support this theory and feel that it's kind of heartwarming to see that Mikoto did indeed "win" the final HiME Carnival after a fashion, becoming a Suishouhime (albeit at the cost of having to see all of her friends - including her beloved Mai - predecease her).

[Liking the sig btw ]

Oh! I get it now lol. Crimson is fine! :3 I will try to download from those links again, but if I get stuck I'll for sure get in contact with someone from the site who can better direct me.

Also that is really quite a bit of knowledge you have on the series, I have been talking to a friend and he kept throwing stuff at me that I apparently did not grasp x.x I appreciate the series quite a bit though, and will use this knowledge as a focal point when I go to give the series another re-watch. I'm not sure if it's a saying but the best type of awareness when watching a series is when you know what to look for! x) I can agree however that Mai did not recognize much of the royal qualities that made up Mikoto's history. Her family line seemed quite powerful and influential from what I've apprehended from the series. Mai did recognize Mikoto's power too as the "Crystal Princess" in My-Otome, acknowledging that she was the top HiME (something along those lines?) Arika also found that out the hard way it would have seemed lol. I think Reito knew quite a bit. He gave off the impression to me as a head of a powerful family line that only had one primary focus, and that was a rule the world by ushering in new world. Mikoto seemed to have been blindly following him because of her longing to feel accepted and loved, which Mai's feelings were truly stronger to her than that of her own older brother. This came into sight during the moment she was eating ramen at District 1 but wanted Mai's ramen more.

Thanks! I really like the sig, too! :3
avatar
ShadowMikoto
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Posts : 303
Bubuzuke points : 376
Armitage GUTS!!! : 55
Join date : 2016-10-16
Age : 31
Location : Forest of Sprites

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HiME powers: are they genetic?

Post by Break String SpinElf on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:40 pm

crimsonYukito wrote:Also that is really quite a bit of knowledge you have on the series, I have been talking to a friend and he kept throwing stuff at me that I apparently did not grasp x.x I appreciate the series quite a bit though, and will use this knowledge as a focal point when I go to give the series another re-watch. I'm not sure if it's a saying but the best type of awareness when watching a series is when you know what to look for! x)
That's a good point. It's really interesting rewatching a series you've seen a number of times because there's always something that might've escaped your notice before - especially where Mai is concerned. One of the series' strengths in my view is the manner in which they realised so many characters, each with their own storyline, with shifting alliances etc.

For some reason, every time I watch it, I generally find my attention focusing on a different character. Most of my remarks about Mikoto are based on observations I made when I concentrated on her. Really opened my eyes.

crimsonYukito wrote:I can agree however that Mai did not recognize much of the royal qualities that made up Mikoto's history. Her family line seemed quite powerful and influential from what I've apprehended from the series. Mai did recognize Mikoto's power too as the "Crystal Princess" in My-Otome, acknowledging that she was the top HiME (something along those lines?) Arika also found that out the hard way it would have seemed lol. I think Reito knew quite a bit. He gave off the impression to me as a head of a powerful family line that only had one primary focus, and that was a rule the world by ushering in new world. Mikoto seemed to have been blindly following him because of her longing to feel accepted and loved, which Mai's feelings were truly stronger to her than that of her own older brother. This came into sight during the moment she was eating ramen at District 1 but wanted Mai's ramen more.
Yeah, in Otome, Mikoto appears to have garnered the title Suishouhime by virtue of being the last surviving HiME from the Carnival.

As for Reito, I adore how dark & enigmatic he's portrayed. He presents himself as the last survivor of the "Kanzaki" family and I do wonder how much he knew of his "true purpose" when not under the influence of the GEM on his necklace. Of course, when he gave his back story to Mai at his mansion, he had already awakened as the Obsidian Lord, though I do wonder about this. Did he truly fall for Mai or was this part of a bigger plan to get the wielder of Kagutsuchi on side?

Overall, I'm confident that, in Mikoto's case, there's definitely a DNA connection which predisposes her to being a HiME.
avatar
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

Posts : 764
Bubuzuke points : 886
Armitage GUTS!!! : 94
Join date : 2013-04-27
Location : Lurking in a dark forest.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HiME powers: are they genetic?

Post by ShadowMikoto on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:39 pm

Break String SpinElf wrote:
crimsonYukito wrote:Also that is really quite a bit of knowledge you have on the series, I have been talking to a friend and he kept throwing stuff at me that I apparently did not grasp x.x I appreciate the series quite a bit though, and will use this knowledge as a focal point when I go to give the series another re-watch. I'm not sure if it's a saying but the best type of awareness when watching a series is when you know what to look for! x)
That's a good point. It's really interesting rewatching a series you've seen a number of times because there's always something that might've escaped your notice before - especially where Mai is concerned. One of the series' strengths in my view is the manner in which they realised so many characters, each with their own storyline, with shifting alliances etc.

For some reason, every time I watch it, I generally find my attention focusing on a different character. Most of my remarks about Mikoto are based on observations I made when I concentrated on her. Really opened my eyes.

crimsonYukito wrote:I can agree however that Mai did not recognize much of the royal qualities that made up Mikoto's history. Her family line seemed quite powerful and influential from what I've apprehended from the series. Mai did recognize Mikoto's power too as the "Crystal Princess" in My-Otome, acknowledging that she was the top HiME (something along those lines?) Arika also found that out the hard way it would have seemed lol. I think Reito knew quite a bit. He gave off the impression to me as a head of a powerful family line that only had one primary focus, and that was a rule the world by ushering in new world. Mikoto seemed to have been blindly following him because of her longing to feel accepted and loved, which Mai's feelings were truly stronger to her than that of her own older brother. This came into sight during the moment she was eating ramen at District 1 but wanted Mai's ramen more.
Yeah, in Otome, Mikoto appears to have garnered the title Suishouhime by virtue of being the last surviving HiME from the Carnival.

As for Reito, I adore how dark & enigmatic he's portrayed. He presents himself as the last survivor of the "Kanzaki" family and I do wonder how much he knew of his "true purpose" when not under the influence of the GEM on his necklace. Of course, when he gave his back story to Mai at his mansion, he had already awakened as the Obsidian Lord, though I do wonder about this. Did he truly fall for Mai or was this part of a bigger plan to get the wielder of Kagutsuchi on side?

Overall, I'm confident that, in Mikoto's case, there's definitely a DNA connection which predisposes her to being a HiME.

I don't know for sure, but I would have to guess that there was some sort of feeling generated between them during the mansion scene. At least, that is the vibe I got from that particular moment. Nothing really occurred (furthered) though, so it's undetermined I think? Though if Reito's objective regarding the darker aspects of the plot was due to the influence of the gem on his necklace then perhaps these feelings would be true outside of that darker influence? This is yet another thing I will make a main area of focus the next time I watch through Mai-HiME, so thanks for sharing this! :3
avatar
ShadowMikoto
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Posts : 303
Bubuzuke points : 376
Armitage GUTS!!! : 55
Join date : 2016-10-16
Age : 31
Location : Forest of Sprites

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HiME powers: are they genetic?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum