Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

HiME powers: are they genetic?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HiME powers: are they genetic?

Post by Break String SpinElf on Fri May 27, 2016 8:16 am

Recently, and in particular based upon EXA, I've been wondering whether or not there's a genetic component to developing HiME abilities.

With regard to EXA, it is stated that becoming the vessel for the Obsidian Lord is the duty of the eldest child of the Minagi family, with the younger (originally a shrine maiden) becoming his HiME bodyguard. In the anime, Mashiro is aghast to discover that Mikoto is serving Reito in such a capacity, with indications that this was her function vis-à-vis the previous incarnation of the Obsidian Lord during the prior HiME Carnival.

Additionally, in the 19th omake, Akira reveals that the Okuzaki family also had connections to previous Carnivals, hence her father's instruction that she hide her true gender, and Shiho's family serve the shrine associated with some of the religious aspects of the Carnival. With regards to Shiho, it's worth noting that an heirloom inherited from her grandmother becomes an important part of her HiME self and her family's religious duties could, in my opinion, serve as some kind of explanation for some of the unusual features of her HiME ability, such as the astral projection and her Alissa-style glowing hair.

Any thoughts?

Break String SpinElf
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 586
Armitage GUTS!!! : 72

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HiME powers: are they genetic?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Mon May 30, 2016 11:07 pm

I do believe in this theory. Most of the HiME are connected to the legends of Fuuka (whether or not they were aware of the Carnival). Still, one person comes to mind that bothers me a lot when discussing decedents associated with the ancient ritual: Mai Tokiha

You see, Mai is, as far as I am concerned, no way related to Mashiro Kazahana. We did have one member a long time ago theorize (theorize, mind you) that Mai's mother was once a HiME. That's quite a stretch as we've never seen Ms. Tokiha do anything besides perish.

What we can work with is the fact that Mashiro was Kagutsuchi's HiME summoner at one time. This was passed onto Mai Tokiha for present day 2004. You could argue that Mashiro was probably some distinct ancestor of Mai's, but the series never makes that clear. So for some it is genetic, Elfie. But in rare cases like this, the gift of Highly Advanced Materializing Equipment is passed onto someone unrelated.

I do admit that Mashiro being the clear ancestor of Mai Tokiha would of furthered the rivalry between her and Reito. One being related to the protagonist, and the other, the antagonist. I'm sort of glad they didn't go in that direction, because it would of made it set in stone for Mai to win the Carnival from the get-go. What we got instead was Mai getting lucky, and being strong when she got over herself and pulled through. That's a much better story to tell. XD A little off-topic, but yeah, it had to be said.

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42279
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2498

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Highman on Tue May 31, 2016 2:53 am

I think too they are genetic thus were born with HiME powers. Also I tend to believe their mothers had HiME powers before being born. I think this topic is interesting enough because Nao/Natsuki mothers purpose to their daughters. I wonder what Mai mother felt about her daughter carried that burden before she passed.

Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 629
Armitage GUTS!!! : 113

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Tue May 31, 2016 4:22 pm

Thanks for the responses Luu & Highman. Thought provoking stuff!

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:You see, Mai is, as far as I am concerned, no way related to Mashiro Kazahana. [...] What we can work with is the fact that Mashiro was Kagutsuchi's HiME summoner at one time. This was passed onto Mai Tokiha for present day 2004. You could argue that Mashiro was probably some distinct ancestor of Mai's, but the series never makes that clear. So for some it is genetic, Elfie. But in rare cases like this, the gift of Highly Advanced Materializing Equipment is passed onto someone unrelated.

Interesting. I'd never thought of Mai as a potential descendant of Mashiro.

I've always tended to see the ability to summon a specific Child as more related to personality rather than bloodline. Reito pretty much states that all Kagutsuchi users share something of a stubborn streak, whilst, taking Yukariko for example, her Child's powers are more geared towards smoke & mirrors than combat, which in my view reflects her crisis of faith as a result of her confessional with Nao & the development of her relationship with Ishigami, with Vlas' capacity for deceit mirroring the commitment to honesty one would normally expect from a nun ("thou shalt not bear false witness" being one commandment Yukariko emphatically breaks, kicking off the whole unseemly process).

Similarly, Julia's spidery characteristics match Nao's hatred towards males: this reflects cannibalism by female members of certain species of spider of much-smaller males after mating.

Additionally, I'd never thought of Mashiro (or whoever she was back in 1704) as having children: as the winner of the HiME Carnival, she becomes the new Suishouhime, so I'd always imagined her spending the better part of the three hundred years until the 2004 Carnival trapped inside crystal in the Land of Fuuka. So it's certainly an intriguing idea.

You're probably right to discount it as there's no real evidence to suggest they're related. Personally, given the similarity of their roles as bodyguards to the Obsidian Lord, if 1704 Mashiro had a descendant involved in the Carnival of 2004, I'd be more inclined towards Mikoto, despite their not wielding the same Child. Additionally, if (as I suspect it is) Mai-Otome is a distant sequel to Mai-HiME, there's a further connection in that Miyu refers to Nekogami-sama as a Suishouhime.

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:I do admit that Mashiro being the clear ancestor of Mai Tokiha would of furthered the rivalry between her and Reito. One being related to the protagonist, and the other, the antagonist.

Definitely - and corollary from that would be implications about the relationship between Mai & Mikoto. Due to their friendship, Reito & Nagi, whilst ostensibly dispatching Mikoto to fight Mai's enemies, are at pains to alienate Mikoto from Mai (for good reason: Mikoto's wavering loyalty has physical manifestations for Reito due to the connection engendered by the necklace gems - that Fumi ramen really doesn't cut it).

Highman wrote:Also I tend to believe their mothers had HiME powers before being born.

That's an interesting idea. Are you talking latent powers (i.e. they are unable to summon a Child) or something else? I'd love to find out more about this idea.

Highman wrote:I think this topic is interesting enough because Nao/Natsuki mothers purpose to their daughters. I wonder what Mai mother felt about her daughter carried that burden before she passed.

I had thought about Saeko and at what point she had an inkling that Natsuki would be a HiME. Accepting what Smith says during his information exchange with Natsuki (I don't believe his dissimulating here - Sakomizu definitely seems to be in on the secret), Saeko was going to sell her off to the Searrs, so, even before the Carnival began and long before Natsuki's encounter with Duran, Saeko knew what was going on. Fair enough, applying Occam's razor, the most likely source for that knowledge was from her work at First District, though there would probably be ulterior motives at play on both sides of that deal.

With regards to Nao & Mai's mothers, the picture is less clear. There's a tragic aggravated home invasion and a desperate attempt to save the life of a (human) child, so personally I can't see any affirmative evidence of either of them being HiME, though I'd love to know what your ideas are regarding this.

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:I'm sort of glad they didn't go in that direction, because it would of made it set in stone for Mai to win the Carnival from the get-go. What we got instead was Mai getting lucky, and being strong when she got over herself and pulled through. That's a much better story to tell. XD A little off-topic, but yeah, it had to be said.

Definitely. All sympathies with the plights of the characters aside, it was really skillful storytelling the way they developed the series throughout the Carnival arc. Credit where credit's due, the Obsidian Lord and his annoying white-haired gopher manipulated the HiME brilliantly, and Ishigami played his part too. Though Mai was admitted to be the most likely winner (one could even say Reito goes out of his way to smooth a path for her), and is identified by Ishigami as the most potent obstacle to his own designs on the HiME Star, it never came across as a mere formality, helped in no small part by Mai's simple passive resistance in refusing to do anything more than defend herself in most of her battles.

Break String SpinElf
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Highman on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:11 pm

Break String SpinElf wrote:That's an interesting idea. Are you talking latent powers (i.e. they are unable to summon a Child) or something else? I'd love to find out more about this idea.

As an example, from Otome after Rena death she could still summon anything. The real question why can't she summon anything after Arika birth, despite losing your nanomachines you still have alot lot left to still have your powers and everything else right? Back to HiME, yes they could summon a CHILD out of their strengths. Real question is will the mother's CHILD is more powerful than the HiME's CHILD? I think the HiME mothers would do damage same with the HiME's daughter.

\"Break String SpinElf wrote:I had thought about Saeko and at what point she had an inkling that Natsuki would be a HiME. Accepting what Smith says during his information exchange with Natsuki (I don't believe his dissimulating here - Sakomizu definitely seems to be in on the secret), Saeko was going to sell her off to the Searrs, so, even before the Carnival began and long before Natsuki's encounter with Duran, Saeko knew what was going on. Fair enough, applying Occam's razor, the most likely source for that knowledge was from her work at First District, though there would probably be ulterior motives at play on both sides of that deal.

After watched that episode, I feel that Sakomizu never had the guts to tell Natsuki what happened during Saeko's time with First District and before Saeko's death. I always see Sakomizu as the red herring because his "relationship" with his colleague with Saeko. On work times as colleagues they were adore each other and work well, off work well I believe their relationship was intimate. Sakomizu deserves blame or not saving Saeko life even feels happy today. It wouldn't change the fact Sakomizu feels a stronger guilt and pain to all of this. The real winner comes out of this is the Searrs Foundation because they know the Carnival and First District was about to be crumbled anyway.

Break String SpinElf wrote:With regards to Nao & Mai's mothers, the picture is less clear. There's a tragic aggravated home invasion and a desperate attempt to save the life of a (human) child, so personally I can't see any affirmative evidence of either of them being HiME, though I'd love to know what your ideas are regarding this.

Well the HiME are genetic, they have to be passed down to every generation to generation. The mothers played a huge part with First District as subjects to use their powers. I think Mai mother was involved, possibly. What about Nao's mother, perhaps but she's doesn't want any part of it. Maybe those three guys have ties with First District. For Mai's mother it was tragic and could have been avoided that's what led to Mai depression in life. What's more interesting First District or Searrs foundation have been experimenting, researching and dissecting Mai mother's corpse all these years and today.

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:I'm sort of glad they didn't go in that direction, because it would of made it set in stone for Mai to win the Carnival from the get-go. What we got instead was Mai getting lucky, and being strong when she got over herself and pulled through. That's a much better story to tell. XD A little off-topic, but yeah, it had to be said.

Mai was going to be the clear favorite no matter what since her bloodline is related to Mashiro. Mai had support coming out of Miyu and Alyssa power ruined the progress of the whole Carnival.

Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Highman wrote:As an example, from Otome after Rena death she could still summon anything. The real question why can't she summon anything after Arika birth, despite losing your nanomachines you still have alot lot left to still have your powers and everything else right?

Great point Highman. Personally, I think Sifr is as much about Rena accepting her powers as a HiME (which turbocharge her Otome abilities) as it is about her initial misgivings about using her accepting her contract with Bruce: for example, in episode 3, when M-9 pounds her into the moon, Artemis awakens, which causes her significant anguish. In that light, the question of why she can't summon after Arika's birth is, as you state, very important: Rad states that she fought bravely, though gives no indication that it was in any way beyond normal parameters. I'm wondering if it's not that she couldn't but that she was unwilling, though, given the evidence of Sifr, it's highly unlikely that she'd let Wind Bloom get turned over by the Shwartz & Aswad if she could do something about it.

In addition, it's worth noting that none of the HiME are mothers that we know of at the time of the battle, so it's hard to say whether or not they'd be able to use their abilities after giving birth. Yukariko's illness in episode 22, where she meets Midori in sick bay, could be interpreted as evidence that she was perhaps pregnant by this stage (her resolve certainly hardens after that point towards Ishigami, which could reflect her anger at allowing herself to be seduced combined with her rage at him for despoiling her), though there's no indication that a pregnancy could affect the abilities either - in Otome, of course, it's down to the interactions between the male PSA hormone & the nanomachines.

Highman wrote:Real question is will the mother's CHILD is more powerful than the HiME's CHILD? I think the HiME mothers would do damage same with the HiME's daughter.

Hmmm... this gets me wondering about Arika's training under Nekogami. Do you think perhaps this may have involved her learning how to tap HiME-related reserves of strength she inherited from Lena?

Highman wrote:After watched that episode, I feel that Sakomizu never had the guts to tell Natsuki what happened during Saeko's time with First District and before Saeko's death. I always see Sakomizu as the red herring because his "relationship" with his colleague with Saeko. On work times as colleagues they were adore each other and work well, off work well I believe their relationship was intimate. Sakomizu deserves blame or not saving Saeko life even feels happy today. It wouldn't change the fact Sakomizu feels a stronger guilt and pain to all of this.

Interesting interpretation Highman. Saeko having an intimate relationship with Sakomizu could explain the indecent haste with which Natsuki's father rode off into the proverbial sunset with his new lover, if their relationship was under strain.

He's also loath to have Natsuki's memories of Saeko tarnished and Natsuki no Prelude presents him as an old acquaintance of Natsuki's who spent time at the facility where Saeko worked. His continued support for Natsuki's efforts - which put him at considerable risk of reprisals - also back up the idea that Sakomizu's actions are founded in his high esteem for Saeko and his failure to protect her.

Highman wrote:The real winner comes out of this is the Searrs Foundation because they know the Carnival and First District was about to be crumbled anyway.

Absolutely. Whilst the old order disappears, they continue to play the long game - and their sigil crops up all over the place in Earl. My view is that they somehow kept Mikoto as she was and, reactivating her HiME abilities, developed the Otome system.

Highman wrote:What about Nao's mother, perhaps but she's doesn't want any part of it. Maybe those three guys have ties with First District.

I hadn't thought about it that way. That's certainly a more satisfying interpretation than just a simple burglary gone wrong. The rest of the family (barring Nao) are killed, suggesting that Nao's mother was left alive for a specific purpose, probably to serve as a punishment, a sort of First District variant on the Chinese zú zhū (albeit botched if her mother was left comatose and thus unable to reflect on the consequences of her refusal). It might also explain why it happened when Nao was out at school. A typically nocturnal crime occurring in the daylight does raise some questions.

It might also shed interesting light on Natsuki's statement that she & Nao are similar. Perhaps Natsuki came to a similar conclusion, that the attack on Nao's family was targeted rather than random and bore the fingerprints of First District?

Highman wrote:For Mai's mother it was tragic and could have been avoided that's what led to Mai depression in life. What's more interesting First District or Searrs foundation have been experimenting, researching and dissecting Mai mother's corpse all these years and today.

Interesting idea. That would certainly add another connection between Mai & Arika given the fate of Lena.

Thanks for sharing your thinking on this subject Highman. You've opened my eyes to a number of possibilities that I hadn't considered before.

Break String SpinElf
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Highman on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Break String SpinElf wrote:
Great point Highman. Personally, I think Sifr is as much about Rena accepting her powers as a HiME (which turbocharge her Otome abilities) as it is about her initial misgivings about using her accepting her contract with Bruce: for example, in episode 3, when M-9 pounds her into the moon, Artemis awakens, which causes her significant anguish. In that light, the question of why she can't summon after Arika's birth is, as you state, very important: Rad states that she fought bravely, though gives no indication that it was in any way beyond normal parameters. I'm wondering if it's not that she couldn't but that she was unwilling, though, given the evidence of Sifr, it's highly unlikely that she'd let Wind Bloom get turned over by the Shwartz & Aswad if she could do something about it.

Rena should been more powerful than the Otome star, she could have use the HiME powers to save her own life against Rad. I guess she was too callous of her own powers.

Break String SpinElf wrote:In addition, it's worth noting that none of the HiME are mothers that we know of at the time of the battle, so it's hard to say whether or not they'd be able to use their abilities after giving birth. Yukariko's illness in episode 22, where she meets Midori in sick bay, could be interpreted as evidence that she was perhaps pregnant by this stage (her resolve certainly hardens after that point towards Ishigami, which could reflect her anger at allowing herself to be seduced combined with her rage at him for despoiling her), though there's no indication that a pregnancy could affect the abilities either - in Otome, of course, it's down to the interactions between the male PSA hormone & the nanomachines.

HiME's got the better deal than Otome. Now you can have sex and still have your HiME's powers intact Happy . For the nanomachines part doesn't link me well with HiME's, I believe their powers are certainly unknown but that will be explored one day. Yukariko's pregnancy did not affect the HiME's even after birth child she kinda still has her powers regardless.

If we get to finally what HiME moms like Saeko and Mama Nao's capabilities are then everyone would shit their pants.  omg

Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Highman wrote:HiME's got the better deal than Otome. Now you can have sex and still have your HiME's powers intact Happy . For the nanomachines part doesn't link me well with HiME's, I believe their powers are certainly unknown but that will be explored one day. Yukariko's pregnancy did not affect the HiME's even after birth child she kinda still has her powers regardless.

If we get to finally what HiME moms like Saeko and Mama Nao's capabilities are then everyone would shit their pants.  omg

It's certainly an interesting concept for an OVA or something along those lines (over to you Sunrise - though I'm not holding my breath... Sad )

Just one more thing. How do you reconcile the idea of HiME powers existing separately from the HiME Carnival? Reason I'm asking is that I'd always imagined them as having been activated by the approach of the Carnival alongside the gathering of the girls in Fuuka. I'd certainly be interested to read your thoughts on this.

Break String SpinElf
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP on Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:09 pm

I am not sure if they are genetic as much as they are bestowed upon by the Hime Star. It doesn't appear that the other characters who 'inherited' their powers outside of possibly Alyssa, Fumi, Akira and Mikoto. I don't really see the other characters coming from clans or any secret gene that the anime mentioned.

GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 426
Armitage GUTS!!! : 125

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:26 pm

Thanks for the input GAP. Probably the strongest suggestive evidence for a genetic component to HiME powers is Lena, who demonstrates HiME-type abilities and is a descendant of Alyssa, but that needn't necessarily be genetic as much as a coincidence (there's no particular reason to believe that Arika inherited them from Lena, though I remain intrigued by Highman's scenario).

I'm interested to see you include Fumi on the list. She seems to be something of an anomaly among the HiME in the series as her "Child" is actually the winner of the previous Carnival. Do you believe that is a significant factor? Could Fumi perhaps be the descendant of long-standing retainers of (so-called) Mashiro's clan?

Thanks again!

Break String SpinElf
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:29 am

Fumi is a mystery but I think that she from branch house or even one of Mashiro descendants. I'll admit that it is only speculation on my part but I believe that Fumi is somehow related to Mashiro as it does seem odd that she has to ability to summon a ghost of the previous winner.

GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:38 am

Cheers GAP. She's definitely something of an outlier in comparison to the others (the nature of her child - and the conditions of her "defeat" which involves the capture, rather than dissipation, of Suishouhime & Fumi under mind control) and this explanation looks a very likely one.

Last edited by Break String SpinElf on Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added a bit of exposition. I ♥ exposition. If I was a character in an anime, you'd fast forward through my interminable monologues to get to the action sequences.)

Break String SpinElf
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:09 pm

I'm interested to see you include Fumi on the list. She seems to be something of an anomaly among the HiME in the series as her "Child" is actually the winner of the previous Carnival. Do you believe that is a significant factor? Could Fumi perhaps be the descendant of long-standing retainers of (so-called) Mashiro's clan?

Thanks again!

You know the most mind boggling element of that theory? That it's possible for Mai Tokiha to become a CHILD herself. Be it for Fumi, or a newly chosen HiME of the future.

Of course, this could only be possible if Obsidian Lord Reito managed to succeed. As far as we know, the events of Mai-HiME are the last Carnival in recorded history. Until we get that "bridge" between HiME and Otome, we won't know if one more occurred, or was supposed to occur, which led into the transition to Otome events. But if you want to talk about genetics being passed down, look no further than Cat Goddess Mikoto. Who is now the Crystal Princess.

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:14 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:

You know the most mind boggling element of that theory? That it's possible for Mai Tokiha to become a CHILD herself. Be it for Fumi, or a newly chosen HiME of the future.

Of course, this could only be possible if Obsidian Lord Reito managed to succeed.

Excellent point Luu-sama - and an implication which hadn't occurred to me. Given that Reito's masterplan involved a Mai victory, she would have ended up as the Suishouhime in the HiME Star, operating as a Child in the next Carnival.

One thing I'm less sure about is whether or not the appearance of the previous victor as a Child was routine or whether it was not more due to Mashiro's desire to end the HiME Carnival for good. I mean, she expended a lot of effort embedding herself in time, taking on the identity of a girl who died (in an archeological accident iirc) and somehow becoming the Director of the Academy and it is she who directs Midori to reawaken Miyu as a potential spanner in the Obsidian Lord's works.

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:As far as we know, the events of Mai-HiME are the last Carnival in recorded history. Until we get that "bridge" between HiME and Otome, we won't know if one more occurred, or was supposed to occur, which led into the transition to Otome events.

To all intents & purposes they must be. The HiME Star is destroyed & the Obsidian Lord's actual form is fried by Kagutsuchi as a result of various other factors affecting that Carnival (Searrs' machinations, Mashiro's efforts & Mai's refusal to toe the line). However...

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:But if you want to talk about genetics being passed down, look no further than Cat Goddess Mikoto. Who is now the Crystal Princess.

I believe you & I are in agreement about Mikoto Minagi being one & the same as the Cat Goddess Mikoto. Of course, with the HiME Star out of action, the question must be asked: how was she preserved in an unaltered state for however many years separate the series?

Personally, I feel that the Searrs Foundation managed to back engineer the various facets of the HiME Carnival (the HiME Star in particular, given the presence of the Administar above Earl) and were the major driving force behind the development of the technology behind Otomes during the Immigration Age & the early "AR" period up until the end of the War of Twelve Kingdoms (which itself is a possible pseudo-HiME Carnival). The Searrs logo does, after all, crop up in quite a few places on Earl, mainly those associated with that initial period. My personal view is that a disagreement within the Searrs Foundation at the time of Pure White Diamond Fumi Himeno & the use of the Harmonium led to the majority agreeing that scientific power should be secreted at Garderobe, with the minority opposed to this notion becoming the Shwartz.

But I'm having another Cat Goddess moment & getting off topic... neko

Break String SpinElf
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Highman on Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:12 pm

GAP wrote:I am not sure if they are genetic as much as they are bestowed upon by the Hime Star. It doesn't appear that the other characters who 'inherited' their powers outside of possibly Alyssa, Fumi, Akira and Mikoto. I don't really see the other characters coming from clans or any secret gene that the anime mentioned.

All HiME's have inherited their powers from birth. Some of them aren't originated with clans still the HiME star chose them regardless. I do forsee clans or other threats who are more stronger and dangerous against the HiME who want control of Fuuka and regain control of the HiME star.

Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Highman wrote:All HiME's have inherited their powers from birth.
Good point - and the Searrs Foundation certainly thought so, seeking to purchase Natsuki and then initiating genetic screening of all girls at the Academy immediately after their takeover.

Highman wrote:I do forsee clans or other threats who are more stronger and dangerous against the HiME who want control of Fuuka and regain control of the HiME star.
This would be cool to see. Maybe a third group, a HiME-verse version of Destiny's Suzaku Association perhaps. Over to the good folks at Sunrise. However, my lips are already blue from holding my breath... Happy

Break String SpinElf
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:05 am

Highman wrote:
GAP wrote:I am not sure if they are genetic as much as they are bestowed upon by the Hime Star. It doesn't appear that the other characters who 'inherited' their powers outside of possibly Alyssa, Fumi, Akira and Mikoto. I don't really see the other characters coming from clans or any secret gene that the anime mentioned.

All HiME's have inherited their powers from birth. Some of them aren't originated with clans still the HiME star chose them regardless. I do forsee clans or other threats who are more stronger and dangerous against the HiME who want control of Fuuka and regain control of the HiME star.

That makes sense as the HiME Star chose which materializer can have which power.

GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Highman on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:07 am

GAP wrote:
Highman wrote:

That makes sense as the HiME Star chose which materializer can have which power.

It applies to any star relates with HiME Star could grant powers before the HiME birth. Big question is why didn't apply with the HiME's moms who had powers, were some members of First District?

Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:48 am

It might be speculation on my part but I think it might be that the powers didn't really awaken in the mothers or it could that the HiMe star grants them power not only based on their genes but also on their personalities.

GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:58 pm

GAP wrote:It might be speculation on my part but I think it might be that the powers didn't really awaken in the mothers or it could that the HiMe star grants them power not only based on their genes but also on their personalities.

It's possible. I couldn't see Natsuki with Nao's Element and CHILD. Julia and the Element claws/webbing marries Nao's predatory and bitter personality nicely.

Now I am cackling at the thought of Sister Yukariko summoning Kiyohime; accidentally murdering people... omg

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Highman on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:16 pm

GAP wrote:It might be speculation on my part but I think it might be that the powers didn't really awaken in the mothers or it could that the HiMe star grants them power not only based on their genes but also on their personalities.

Aside the mothers awakening part, HiME star does grant their powers and personalities. Akira family are somewhat proof of genetics/inherited since they've been through previous Carnivals. There a lot plot holes to discover on HiME's birth and purpose. Mai mother is a very interesting character and a sexy MILF, shame she's dead.

Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:22 am

Highman wrote:
Aside the mothers awakening part, HiME star does grant their powers and personalities. Akira family are somewhat proof of genetics/inherited since they've been through previous Carnivals. There a lot plot holes to discover on HiME's birth and purpose. Mai mother is a very interesting character and a sexy MILF, shame she's dead.

Not really plot holes since Sunrise is deliberate with giving their show a sense of mystery. Plot hole is like Batman V Superman, where obvious cuts were made; causing the story-line to come off rushed for the dumb masses. Mai-HiME has a lot of connecting dots; some even found in Mai-Otome. We just need to SEE these events beyond glimpses and confirmed mentions.

Mai's mother was pretty hot, yes. Natsuki's also blessed with a hot mom, even though Dr. Saeko Kuga will never win Mother Of The Year.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:13 pm

Mikoto's own clan may had indoctrinated her to be some sort killing machine but it might be a little extreme.

GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:31 am

GAP wrote:Mikoto's own clan may had indoctrinated her to be some sort killing machine but it might be a little extreme.
Sound idea. In her earliest memories, it seems that she was obliged to fight & kill her mentor and, throughout the series, she opines that her main aim is to find & protect the interests of her ani-ue so I agree there's definitely been some indoctrination. I also suspect that she observes a warrior code of honour: whilst she's unshaking in her belief that she must fight the enemies of ani-ue, as well as Mai (which usually earns her no brownie points from Mai), she feels uncomfortable when she's out with Nao as their victims, Mikoto notes, are not warriors.

I'm also pretty sure that Mikoto's training is standard for the younger sister of the Obsidian Lord's vessel at each carnival: Mashiro/Suishouhime, when confronting Reito in episode 21 notes that the Obsidian Lord, who she refers to as "onii-sama" in the Shinsen-Subs version, "did it again."

Break String SpinElf
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMikoto on Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:30 pm

This is an interesting concept, and one that I did not put much thought into while watching through Mai-HiME. It would seem to me, but this is all just my thoughts on the matter, that there would have to be some sort of genetic pass-down of the HiME's abilities, as it would not just start out of nowhere, even if they did have some chosen destiny to inherit these abilities. They seemed to have been automatically given to them since Birth, so in order for it to be passed on to them genetically (from birth) there would have to be the assumption that such abilities were inherited from previous bloodlines.

But on this subject, I do not really know too much. Just rhyming off my thoughts on it.

I have also not read any of Mai-HiME EXA. I've been looking for it everywhere, but none of the Downloads seem to work for me. If anyone can help me find it I would be grateful!

ShadowMikoto
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 179
Armitage GUTS!!! : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:08 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next