Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

If you're to pick the cast to dub Anime in English...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If you're to pick the cast to dub Anime in English...?

Post by franticfranz on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:21 am

This in light with the recent re-dubs of certain anime titles, and my routine back up of all my anime DVD's which all contain dual audio. I know that some are not real fans of anime being dubbed in English, but over the past years, voice acting in the English dubbed Anime industry had been from good to getting better and better. With a few people from the forum here already know I am so fangirling over certain voice actors now, I guess it's about time I post a topic that suits this. This is also my first time posting a new topic here, since all I have been doing is reply to existing ones.

This applies to shows that already have existing dubs. Let's say if you're the one who's to pick the cast for your favorite dubbed anime, who will you pick and why?

This also applies to anime which are never dubbed, but if you are to pick the cast to voice the characters, who will you pick and why?

Will share my thoughts later. :D

franticfranz
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Posts : 1869
Bubuzuke points : 2130
Armitage GUTS!!! : 257
Join date : 2013-04-24
Age : 29
Location : A place forgotten by time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: If you're to pick the cast to dub Anime in English...?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:18 pm

franticfranz wrote:This in light with the recent re-dubs of certain anime titles, and my routine back up of all my anime DVD's which all contain dual audio. I know that some are not real fans of anime being dubbed in English, but over the past years, voice acting in the English dubbed Anime industry had been from good to getting better and better. With a few people from the forum here already know I am so fangirling over certain voice actors now, I guess it's about time I post a topic that suits this. This is also my first time posting a new topic here, since all I have been doing is reply to existing ones.

This applies to shows that already have existing dubs. Let's say if you're the one who's to pick the cast for your favorite dubbed anime, who will you pick and why?

This also applies to anime which are never dubbed, but if you are to pick the cast to voice the characters, who will you pick and why?

Will share my thoughts later. :D

Excellent topic, Franny! Well, I think it would be best for me to start out with the obvious. 2016 has been quite a good year for anime so far, with titles like Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation and Muv-Luv Schwarzesmarken. It would be logical to start with PSO2 first.


Itsuki Tachibana - Johnny Yong Bosch (originally voiced by Shouta Aoi)

Why: This former Power Ranger and now voice actor, is effective in playing the everyday male character. He sounds like a young, male protagonist would sound in any given situation. Take that with a grain of salt, since Johnny doesn't have a lot of range, per se. I just think he does the young and confused male character nicely. Or a character that acts as a support or awkward friend to his female counterpart. Johnny pulled this off smoothly as the new Artemis in Viz Media's Sailor Moon dub. Granted, Artemis is a cat, but the foundation of the friendzoned male character are there.

Rina Izumi - Carrie Keranen (originally voiced by Ayaka Suwa)

Why: Rina is a character who is both a wise online gamer and an elegant, traditional Japanese girl who happens to be Kaichou. To sell the revered veteran player, as well as the beautiful and feminine student council president, Carrie Keranen comes to mind. Carrie brought a commanding presence to the role of Satsuki Kiryuuin in Aniplex's Kill La Kill. But, her range doesn't just stop there. She can also convey a lot of mysterious, passive aggressiveness; whilst maintaining her dignity with a cup of tea in Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I heard her performance as Mami Tomoe way before Satsuki, and they sound like completely entities. It's a testament to her skill of taking her performance from one extreme to the other.

Aika Suzuki - Cristina Vee (originally voiced by Mao Ichimichi aka M.A.O )

Why: Does Cristina even need an introduction or reason? Though Cristina has the biggest "queer lisp" since Barbara Radecki's Sailor Neptune (from the Cloverway dub), she is without a doubt, THE quintessential voice actress for beautiful, mysterious characters with an agenda. Aika spends the majority of PSO2: The Animation fighting an evil force solo. When she does interact with the people of Seiga Academy, she is unaware of how Earthlings live and function as a society. So, she's like this fish-out-of-water weirdo who is attempting to fit in, while fighting back dark forces in secret. This is right up Cristina's alley! From the cutesy voicing of K-On!'s Azusa (Azu-nyan~) to the legendary Homura Akemi of Madoka fame and Rei Hino from Sailor Moon, she is brilliant as selling the angry, frustrated and gorgeous female character who carries the heaviest burden. Cristina literally reaches the depths of her soul with these characters. Just look at her footage in the recording booth. If the voice director wasn't present, she would be left in her own world. Fantastic actress and the perfect choice to voice AiAi.

_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38606
Bubuzuke points : 42279
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2498
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: If you're to pick the cast to dub Anime in English...?

Post by franticfranz on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:31 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:

Excellent topic, Franny! Well, I think it would be best for me to start out with the obvious. 2016 has been quite a good year for anime so far, with titles like Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation and Muv-Luv Schwarzesmarken. It would be logical to start with PSO2 first.


Itsuki Tachibana - Johnny Yong Bosch (originally voiced by Shouta Aoi)

Why: This former Power Ranger and now voice actor, is effective in playing the everyday male character. He sounds like a young, male protagonist would sound in any given situation. Take that with a grain of salt, since Johnny doesn't have a lot of range, per se. I just think he does the young and confused male character nicely. Or a character that acts as a support or awkward friend to his female counterpart. Johnny pulled this off smoothly as the new Artemis in Viz Media's Sailor Moon dub. Granted, Artemis is a cat, but the foundation of the friendzoned male character are there.

Rina Izumi - Carrie Keranen (originally voiced by Ayaka Suwa)

Why: Rina is a character who is both a wise online gamer and an elegant, traditional Japanese girl who happens to be Kaichou. To sell the revered veteran player, as well as the beautiful and feminine student council president, Carrie Keranen comes to mind. Carrie brought a commanding presence to the role of Satsuki Kiryuuin in Aniplex's Kill La Kill. But, her range doesn't just stop there. She can also convey a lot of mysterious, passive aggressiveness; whilst maintaining her dignity with a cup of tea in Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I heard her performance as Mami Tomoe way before Satsuki, and they sound like completely entities. It's a testament to her skill of taking her performance from one extreme to the other.

Aika Suzuki - Cristina Vee (originally voiced by Mao Ichimichi aka M.A.O )

Why: Does Cristina even need an introduction or reason? Though Cristina has the biggest "queer lisp" since Barbara Radecki's Sailor Neptune (from the Cloverway dub), she is without a doubt, THE quintessential voice actress for beautiful, mysterious characters with an agenda. Aika spends the majority of PSO2: The Animation fighting an evil force solo. When she does interact with the people of Seiga Academy, she is unaware of how Earthlings live and function as a society. So, she's like this fish-out-of-water weirdo who is attempting to fit in, while fighting back dark forces in secret. This is right up Cristina's alley! From the cutesy voicing of K-On!'s Azusa (Azu-nyan~) to the legendary Homura Akemi of Madoka fame and Rei Hino from Sailor Moon, she is brilliant as selling the angry, frustrated and gorgeous female character who carries the heaviest burden. Cristina literally reaches the depths of her soul with these characters. Just look at her footage in the recording booth. If the voice director wasn't present, she would be left in her own world. Fantastic actress and the perfect choice to voice AiAi.

Nice choices, Luu-san. I honestly have not watched Phantasy Star Online 2 completely. Damn work schedules! Anyway, I am posting my fantasy English dub for one of my favorite Anime. Also worked by the same people that did Puella Magi Madoka Magica, am talking about Hidamari Sketch.



Yuno - Xanthe Yunth (originally voiced by Kana Asumi) - I think Xanthe fits the character perfectly. She also voiced Nagisa Momoe in the English dub of PMMM Rebellion, which is of course, another Shaft/Aniplex anime. You may end up imagining hearing a bit of Ui Hirasawa, but then Xanthe does a great job for the characters she had voiced so far. :D

Miyako - Luci Christian (originally voiced by Kaori Mizuhashi) - I picked Luci because she's so hilarious, specially in the Conversations with SSS bonus content from the English release of Madlax. And Miyako being the comic relief in the show, it will be awesome if Luci voices her! :D

Sae - Laura Bailey (originally voiced by Ryoko Shintani) - because Sae does seem to have the same personality as Nodoka Manabe from K-On! which is yet again, dubbed by Bang Zoom! Laura also voiced Nodoka so I really think she'd the best voice actor for Sae.

Hiro - Shelby Lindley (originally voiced by Yuki Goto) - because I feel that she has that elegant aura in her, minus the weight consciousness thing. But the latter is gonna be funny if Shelby acts that aspect of Hiro's character. She voiced Tsumugi Kotubuki (again, K-On!) and Shelby voicing Hiro will mean lots of fun! :D

And Luu-san... Azusa was voiced by Christine Marie Cabanos. Mio was the one VEE over at K-On!. :D

franticfranz
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Posts : 1869
Bubuzuke points : 2130
Armitage GUTS!!! : 257
Join date : 2013-04-24
Age : 29
Location : A place forgotten by time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: If you're to pick the cast to dub Anime in English...?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:08 am

franticfranz wrote:
And Luu-san... Azusa was voiced by Christine Marie Cabanos. Mio was the one VEE over at K-On!. :D

That's right! Mio moe I got them mixed up, somehow. In my defense, Azu-nyan and Mio-chan are so similar; being the girl everyone wants to touch on K-On! LOL! I'm just the Mugi type, watching the yuri from afar~

Hidamari Sketch is pretty good! Haven't watched it since the latest series a few years ago. I can get behind Laura Bailey as Sae. Sae has two, sometimes three sides to her personality and Laura is perfect at changing the tone of her voice. She can go from girly Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket one minute and belt out passion-filled cries as Helena Harper from the horrible Resident Evil 6. Although admittedly, I only own that piece of shit for the character of Helena and Laura's incredible performance. Hear the difference yourself:




Hope you get to catch up on Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation! It's not a true MUST-SEE legend like Moon, HiME/Otome or Madoka. It's just a simplistic and enjoyable slice of life with Sega's classic MMORPG series serving as a backdrop to fun and interesting characters. I recommend it for it's simplicity and AiAi (Aika) being my new obsession. XD

More fantasy dub casting coming in my next post! nao lick Beware~

_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38606
Bubuzuke points : 42279
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2498
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: If you're to pick the cast to dub Anime in English...?

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:19 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum