Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Do Garderobe Academy Corals secretly want a man?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do Garderobe Academy Corals secretly want a man?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 pm

HiME Do Garderobe Academy Corals secretly want a man? HiME

---

Yes, we can joke for ages on what moderator ookamidesu said recent in our Facebook group:

ookamidesu wrote:Wasn't she technically fangirling over Akira? Therefore, she IS one of us... :3

Assuming Yayoi really had a good vagina radar (or scent...) aside, I'd like to explore the sexuality nature of Garderobe students. First and foremost, they all knew what they were getting themselves into by enrolling. The famous scene of Gakuenchou Natsuki Kruger going over protocol with Arika gives you an idea of what they all go through:

Penis = Bad
Relationships with other Otome = Not encouraged, but possible.

The thing you must wonder is...were these fresh new Corals accepting of having no intimate relationship with a man? Their assigned Nation Master doesn't count, due to the relationship (to a male Master) is more about having a weapon of mass destruction than a lover.

There was the biggest exception in Akane Soir, who had a secret relationship with Kazuya Krau-xeku of the Cardair Empire. Kazuya wanted true love with Akane, even if that pissed Five Column member Mahya off, but that's another story.

Coming back to the Corals, the headline screen shot shows Coral Yayoi expressing her fangirl reaction for Prince Takumi (who at that time, was Akira Okuzaki in disguise). She is an example of possible heterosexual girls within the ranks, aside from Akane and Nina (too obvious there). In my opinion, the surrounding Corals don't share the same sentiment; which is of course, mixed with their general embarrassed reaction. As opposed to our own world, per se, being heterosexual may be seen as strange inside the prestigious bubble of Garderobe Academy. The Otome are weapons, symbolic goddesses and pure maiden. It's only nature that the female is precious (no arguments here. I am the manliest person on Earth, and even I admit without you ladies, we're nothing) on Planet Earl. Though, there is room to discuss whether or not there are girls who yearn for a man in Garderobe, but cannot, because of their duties. It's a honorable position to be placed in, though a great personal sacrifice is made for the straight girls of this universe.

Discuss below and let me know what you think! Miss Maria

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42279
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2498

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Do Garderobe Academy Corals secretly want a man?

Post by Antiope on Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:24 am

Ahahah, what's that question ?
I think it's useless to try to make generalities about the students' sexuality.
Just because there is an official lesbian couple (ShizNat), it doesn't mean that every girl in Garderobe is lesbian or at least bisexual too. You can have lesbian students (Tomoe), straight girls (Nina, Arika, Akane), or girls whom we know nothing, girls who don't seem interested by love (basically all the other students !).

The students are around 14-16 years old. At this age, some children have still never fallen in love and so cannot be sure of their sexuality.
Look at Arika, she fell in love for the first time during the series.
I'm not even sure that lesbianism is that common in this universe. OK the system oneesama / heya-gakkari may encourage relationships between girls, but it may be more to fulfill some students' needs and prevent them to look for a man.
I don't think that it's an official rule that the heya-gakkari cannot say "no" to anything her oneesama asks, I think that one year some students put this in place and then it was continued the following years. You know, it's like fresher initiation (hazing), even if you can suffer from it when you're in first year, when it's your turn to enjoy some privileges you don't want to give it up.
An Otome is supposed to live and die only for her Master, she must "love" her Master more than anything else. So if an Otome has a stable relationship with another woman, even if there's no problem for the nanomachines, the Otome will not be completely focused on her Master's safety (sometimes it could even be conflict of interest). So I think that Garderobe don't really want the students to be interested in love in general. That's why the students don't know that Shizuru and Natsuki are a couple, if they knew it would give them ideas.

I'm not sure either that Yayoi is fantasizing about a man during this scene. She wondered what she would do if the Prince noticed her, maybe she's more fantasizing about becoming the Otome of the Prince of a quite exotic country.
The surrounding girls may be pissed off simply because Yayoi is acting childish.

Antiope
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 221
Armitage GUTS!!! : 77

View user profile http://antiopedethemiscyre.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:04 am

Antiope wrote:[color=#0000ff][b]OK the system oneesama / heya-gakkari may encourage relationships between girls

That's the reason why this subject isn't useless. Had these girls felt differently about their sexuality before, Garderobe's system open them up to new possibilities. In the outside world, most civilians of Windbloom City and every other Nation, are littered with heterosexual families. This is what these young girls were used to and thought to be the norm. Enrolling in Garderobe is the reason why Natsuki and Shizuru found one another to begin with. We don't exactly know how homosexuality is seen outside of Garderobe walls, though I imagine it's not common. This is a series with more yuri narratives than it's predecessor (Mai-HiME); and homosexuality is portrayed as part of a higher, more exclusive privilege.

The reverse happened in Sifr. It's strongly implied that Elliot Chandler and Lena Sayers had a "thing" going on. Could mean Lena is one of the few bi-sexuals in the series.

So I think that Garderobe don't really want the students to be interested in love in general. That's why the students don't know that Shizuru and Natsuki are a couple, if they knew it would give them ideas.

Give them a little more credit than that. You said it yourself, they're teenage girls, but a lot people discovered their sexuality around Arika's age. Before even. Without discovering that the Gakuenchou and Meister Shizuru are together, they can still feel something for the same gender. If you meant it would give them the proverbial "nod" to take a chance with another girl, then I agree.

I'm not sure either that Yayoi is fantasizing about a man during this scene. She wondered what she would do if the Prince noticed her, maybe she's more fantasizing about becoming the Otome of the Prince of a quite exotic country.
The surrounding girls may be pissed off simply because Yayoi is acting childish.

It could be that Yayoi was fantasizing about the superficial aspect of hooking up with the Prince; bathing in riches and being a recognize Otome. But I dunno! She looks smitten to me. I do agree that Yayoi is childish. Compared to someone like Irina Woods, anyway. Now Irina is a character who displays SOME physical attraction towards the female body. At first I thought it was simple curiosity for Nina's "weak point", but she clearly got off on it.

BTW, Arika is definitely not straight. She is bi-sexual as the series went along. Zwei took the cake with her evolving personal relationship with Mashiro.

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Bubuzuke points : 42279
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2498

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiope on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:30 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
That's the reason why this subject isn't useless. Had these girls felt differently about their sexuality before, Garderobe's system open them up to new possibilities. In the outside world, most civilians of Windbloom City and every other Nation, are littered with heterosexual families. This is what these young girls were used to and thought to be the norm. Enrolling in Garderobe is the reason why Natsuki and Shizuru found one another to begin with. We don't exactly know how homosexuality is seen outside of Garderobe walls, though I imagine it's not common. This is a series with more yuri narratives than it's predecessor (Mai-HiME); and homosexuality is portrayed as part of a higher, more exclusive privilege.
You're probably right here, I agree with that. But not with the rest of what you've written ^^

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
they're teenage girls, but a lot people discovered their sexuality around Arika's age. Before even.
Some of them, yes. But not all. Not all teens are obsessed with sex or love from the age of 13! Some people have their libido awakening much later!

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
BTW, Arika is definitely not straight. She is bi-sexual as the series went along. Zwei took the cake with her evolving personal relationship with Mashiro.
I don't agree with that. Seriously guys, I know that a lot of people in the fandom fantasize about them being in love, but it's not because there are some lesbians in the anime that all girls are lesbians/bi!
They argue like an old couple ? Yes, they realize that, even if they shared extraordiary adventures together, they don't necessarily have the same point of view on everything, and especially on how to build the country in which everybody will be happy, which is their goal. And those differences in their point of view come from the fact that Arika has always been close to people and listens to her emotions, whereas Mashiro has been raised as a princess, she has a lot of responsabilities and she's a much more reasonable person. And she sees her kingdom in its whole, being aware that she just cannot does what she wants and there must sometimes be sacrifices for the sake of the whole people.
They care very much about each other? Of course they do! They are friends. Since their first encounter they grew up and changed together, influencing each other.
They are a Master and her Otome, their lives are bonded together. All Otome care for their Master, and vice versa. Even Fiar who was the Otome of an asshole, cared about him and shouted his name when she was defeated. Haruka and Yukino too care about each other (I know, a lot of people also fantasize about them being a couple...).

Seriously, a lot of people here like to see lesbians everywhere. As a lesbian, I wish there was so much lesbian people that you think it is (whoops, I don't know if my grammar is correct here oO). Personaly I cannot be happy with just this, I need more proof to be convinced. I'm tired with all those crypto-lesbian stuff and people making a great deal of that. Like "Oh look at the way they are looking at each other, they are lesbian for sure!". (that's why I was disappointed by LoK...). I would like so much to see an actual couple being out, kissing or saying tender words to each other...

I view Arika and Mashiro like 2 children that grew up together (yes, only a few months before things started to be serious, but anyways this period was important for them) and then when they became more mature and have more responsabilities, they realize that they grew up in different ways. They still care for each other of course, but they also have to realize that their relationship is different now.
In the first episode of Mai Otome Zwei, the contrast is clear between Mashiro who works hard and has become really serious, and Arika who still acts childish.

Antiope
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 221
Armitage GUTS!!! : 77

View user profile http://antiopedethemiscyre.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top