Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Favorite movies and film reviews

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Favorite movies and film reviews

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:43 am

Defiant wrote:I guess, you are not the only one, it is really a movie for smaller audiences, it wasn´t really much successfull, although I like very much.

:) Thanks for the video, I'm hoping to give this one a better review than Adjustment Bureau. No promises! ^_~

Coming soon review...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 2011

Hoo boy...

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sergay Tate on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Sergay Tate wrote:i also didn't mind the movie, although it was pretty retarded, but meh.

and i want his hat...

that is all >_>

Touche, the hat was pretty fetch. :)

FETCH WILL NEVER BE A WORD!!!

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Coming soon review...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 2011

Hoo boy...

i have heard excellent things about the book, but i haven't gotten around to reading it >.< i wanna see the movie though. i look forward to reading the review Arika Yumemiya

Sergay Tate
Cat Goddess
Cat Goddess

Bubuzuke points : 5947
Armitage GUTS!!! : 724

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:11 am

Sergay Tate wrote:FETCH WILL NEVER BE A WORD!!!

Tell that to Gretchen Wieners! >:3

Sergay Tate wrote:i have heard excellent things about the book, but i haven't gotten around to reading it >.< i wanna see the movie though. i look forward to reading the review Arika Yumemiya

:) I'll most likely purchase the book, whether the film impresses me or not. Thanks dude! It's coming really soon, just gotta get holiday stuffs out of the way. @_@

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sergay Tate on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:24 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Sergay Tate wrote:FETCH WILL NEVER BE A WORD!!!

Tell that to Gretchen Wieners! >:3

Sergay Tate wrote:i have heard excellent things about the book, but i haven't gotten around to reading it >.< i wanna see the movie though. i look forward to reading the review Arika Yumemiya

:) I'll most likely purchase the book, whether the film impresses me or not. Thanks dude! It's coming really soon, just gotta get holiday stuffs out of the way. @_@

lol xD

and that's fair enough, obviously you've got to do stuff Razz and yeah i'd like to buy the book, but i kinda stopped reading >.< i still have 2 books at home i barely started :S i guess i've got to really like the start to keep reading? no idea :S if you buy the book, do tell.

Sergay Tate
Cat Goddess
Cat Goddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Many apologies! Reviews for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Devil Inside will be postponed until AFTER I see Underworld Awakening.I want to focus on a classic that was reintroduced to the world after several years and even more home video releases...

Luu Sky Sapphire reviews Beauty and the Beast in 3-D

Seriously? What more can possibly be said about Beauty and the Beast after establishing itself as a vital part of animation's history? To this day, it's still one of the greatest animated films of all time. No. It's one of the greatest films of all time, period. Every award this wonderful film has won is well deserved. The music, the memorable characters, and the people behind it made it all work. Disney was at it's highest peak straight from delivering us The Little Mermaid; the film that ended Disney's downbeat string of films in the 80s. Returning back to the time when Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty ruled the world.

Beauty and the Beast tells the story of a very nasty Prince whose unkindness costs him his appearance, his subjects and his castle at the hands of an Enchantress. Because of this, he must learn to let love in his heart and earn love in return before the magic rose's final petal falls. Or else he would be doomed to remain a Beast forever. We cut to Belle...a woman all females should strive to be. Yes, you heard me and let me explain why. Belle is a character with imagination, a woman with actual goals in life. Leaving the boring routine life? I can so relate to that when I was younger. Plus a girl who loves reading? BOINK! <3

The film's antagonist is a perfect contrast to Belle. Meet Gaston, the macho brawny man who wants Belle for his wife. Why? Because she's the only girl in this small French town who won't lay on her back. SHE DOESN'T WANT MY MANLY CHEST!? BLASPHEMY!...and oh so attractive...she WILL be MINE!

Later on in the film, Belle's father Maurice makes his way to the fair to show off his latest invention, only to run into a dark castle. After loosing his horse Phillipe and getting chased by wolves, he enters the castle and quickly becomes The Beast's prisoner. Belle immediately goes to look for him and finds the castle as well. In her first encounter with The Beast, she asks to be taken as his prisoner instead of her father. Maurice is sent away and Belle remains at the castle to spend a lot of time with The Beast and his servants. My goodness, the servants! How could anyone forget the suaveness of Lumière (in the form of a candlelight), the uptight Cogsworth (in the form of a clock), the delightful Mrs. Potts and her adorable son Chip, in addition to a host of wonder side characters. As much as I love the comedic Laurel and Hardy-esque duo of Lumière and Cogsworth, one of my favorite characters has to be Mrs. Potts. Angela Lansbury (Murder, She Wrote) and her PHENOMENAL voice work needs to be heard. She sold the character of Mrs. Potts so damn perfectly.

As the film progresses, The Beast and Belle form a friendship (thanks for rescuing Belle from those darn wolves, Beast.) that turns into love. There's just something charming about The Beast as a character; the guy is just so misunderstood because of his short fuse. Belle brings out the best in him by giving lessons in kindness and etiquette. In the special edition version, we see that Beast doesn't know how to read. Or at least, it's been a while for him. I guess that epically large book collection was just for decoration? haha! Both of these characters are right for each other, it's the few times where the Disney couple form a friendship before falling in love. Much like how real relationships should be.

In the film's climax, Gaston learns of the Beast and brings every single male villager to attack the castle. While his men get wasted by living inanimate objects, he finds The Beast and attacks him. Because The Beast allowed freedom for Belle, he believes she will never come back, thus losing the will to live. Knowing about the impeding attack, Belle makes her way to protect Beast but unfortunately he gets fatally stabbed by Gaston. Gaston accidentally falls to his death, Beast dies slowly and Belle tells him she loves him, just before the final petal fall from the magic rose. Talk about your close calls! The Beast is revived and transforms into quite a Fabio. The castle and every servant revert back to normal; leaving our lovely couple to live happily ever after. Belle finally found the storybook life she dreamed of.

The story is top notch classic, with a score that is considered just as memorable. The late Howard Ashman and Alan Menken did an amazing job with that, there's not one musical sequence in Beauty and the Beast that is dull. Each musical sequence works for the scene it was selected for. Rather than distract from the story, the soundtrack supported the story.

The 3-D. View a technical point of view, the 3-D isn't anything special. It's the same 3-D found in other recent films. Same ol' same ol' there. So what made the 3-D better here? Hello? Is your brain turned on? The 3-D gimmick worked strongly for a vibrant hand-drawn animated film like Beauty and The Beast, it was a sheer marvel to beyond. You can feel it during the scenes in the castle and the woods; where you feel like you're actually there exploring these areas with a curious Belle. The Disney magic hit me in the face and just for that one night, I believed in the 3-D gimmick that's been annoying me as of late. Okay, I take that back, it worked in Tangled and the 3-D release of Lion King too. =p

Beauty and the Beast is still relevant today as it was in 1991. Even fans devoted to other versions like the musicals have to admit the animated film is even more powerful today. I was there with my friend Jessica that day, we both noticed how incredibly into the movie the audience was. I noticed texting and cackles during other recent animated films, but I knew Beauty and the Beast would stop bored parents and easily distracted 2000s children in their tracks and pull them into the characters/story. Jessica will be the first one to tell you that I had tears in my eyes when the film was over. This film is eternally great and I can only hope Disney considers doing the same for Hunchback of Notre Dame and especially Pinocchio. The new generation needs to be more exposed to the greatness of yesterday, so it can become their tomorrow.

gay unicorn gay unicorn gay unicorn gay unicorn . Gay Rainbow / gay unicorn gay unicorn gay unicorn gay unicorn gay unicorn

4.5 / 5 Gay Unicorns

HIGH FULL PRICE.

Own this movie. Like NOW.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by SulliMike23 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 am

Beauty and the Beast is a timeless classic. I hardly know anyone who hates a Disney film that magnificent.

SulliMike23
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 963
Armitage GUTS!!! : 281

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sergay Tate on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:27 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Many apologies! Reviews for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Devil Inside will be postponed until AFTER I see Underworld Awakening.I want to focus on a classic that was reintroduced to the world after several years and even more home video releases...

fair enough... i forgot about that excellent movie coming out... *cry* i wanna see it in cinemas!!! damn you Ghana Natsuki Kuga hopefully i can catch the tail end of it showing in cinemas when i get home...

Sergay Tate
Cat Goddess
Cat Goddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:21 am

SulliMike23 wrote:Beauty and the Beast is a timeless classic. I hardly know anyone who hates a Disney film that magnificent.

Amen, Sulli. There was really no point in me reviewing it honestly, it's legacy speaks for itself. But it is a re-release in 3-D, presenting itself to a whole new audience. The 2010s generation of kids accepted this film, I am satisfied.

Sergay Tate wrote:fair enough... i forgot about that excellent movie coming out... *cry* i wanna see it in cinemas!!! damn you Ghana Natsuki Kuga hopefully i can catch the tail end of it showing in cinemas when i get home...

XD Hope you get to see it! Practically all the major MM Superstars are going to see it. I believe me and Jenna (WolvenBane08) have humped the trailer more than anyone else has, haha!

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sergay Tate on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:47 pm

if i don't get to see it... i am going to be assaulted from all sides by people telling me how awesome it was, i just know it. not seeing it is not an option >_>

Sergay Tate
Cat Goddess
Cat Goddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:26 am

^_^ Today is the day that Underworld: Awakening is finally released in theaters! In celebration of this awesome day, I'm going to review a somewhat similar film (genre wise) that arrived in my mailbox this morning.

Luu Sky Sapphire Quickie Review: Bloodrayne: The Third Reich

The Bloodrayne series based on the video game series of the same name has released yet another film?! Ugh. The first two weren't very good. Sort of following the tradition of video game films that not only fail at being brought to life, but also end up tamer than the game it's originally based on. While the 3rd film in the Bloodrayne series is a low budget film, it succeeds in heavy gore and violence that the game was famous for.

The movie takes place in Germany 1943 during World War II. Ah, Nazis. I still hate you guys. <3 Although you gotta admit their uniforms were pretty cool. Somebody had to say it. It begins with Rayne (played by Natassia Malthe) killing a group of Nazi soldiers with assistance from a Resistance group saving Jewish prisoners. Rayne bites one of the commander Nazis (because that's what vampires do) and accidentally makes him a vampire, which causes more trouble for our heroes throughout the film. Including a plan to obtain Rayne's blood in order to make Hitler immortal for all time, ensuring victory for the Germans.

Now, the reason why this is a quick review is because not much happens in the film. Seriously, it's only 70 minutes long and most of the film is just fanservice and Nazi killings. Orgasmic combination, I just wish they included some more dialogue for the characters. Natassia Malthe as Rayne...I must say, she is my favorite actress for the character. She's got great intensity in her eyes like Milla Jovovich and judging from the "making-of", she takes the role very seriously. Natassia also amazes me with her lesbian sex scene. The woman has an amazing rack and there is plenty of fanservice here to keep you entertained. So Rayne is either bi-sexual or Pansexual? Whatever.

Overall, I've read complaints that the shaky camera work in the film bothered viewers. Personally I had no problem with it since it's trying to mimic modern day war films/video games. The real issue I had with the film was mainly the length and the fact that these Germans lacked accents. XD Were they American traitors or something!? It's not a great film, but Bloodrayne: The Third Reich achieves what director Uwe Boll wanted: Sex and Violence. The guy goes through heavy criticism for his films, especially the previous two Bloodrayne films, but people are unaware that he intentionally makes them for himself and not for the fans. You know, the George Lucas mentality that started with The Phantom Menace. Seeing how he isn't apologetic for his work, I can just go ahead and say The Third Reich is a stupid but fun film that provided great entertainment. In the end, the best thing I got out of this movie was Natassia Malthe. I feel she's extremely underrated as an actress and though she didn't impress in the 2nd Rayne film and her miscast role as Ayane in the D.O.A. movie, I loved her as Typhoid in Elektra and she looks better than ever in The Third Reich.

Mmm~Natassia~ You can suck my...*ahem*...anytime~

Luu SKy Sapphire rates Bloodrayne: The Third Reich

Natsuki Kruger2 . 5 / Natsuki Kruger2 Natsuki Kruger2 Natsuki Kruger2 Natsuki Kruger2 Natsuki Kruger2

1.5 out of 5 BATSHIT INSANITY KRUGERS.

VERY LOW RENTAL.
If you love beautiful women, action, gore and Nazi killings, this is a good way to waste 70 minutes of your life. An extra half star for Natassia Malthe. She's a total hottie. So yeah, Entertainment for us men. :)

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fire Stirring Ruby on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:19 am

bump
The Fire Stirring Ruby reviews:
The Avengers (Avengers Assemble)

So, The Avengers basically tells the first assembling of the Avengers. The story starts with Director Fury and a doctor discussing about the Tessaract, the ultimate thing for unlimited power and knowlege, being unstable. Then, enter Hawkeye and suddenly the Tessarect goes boom! Loki enters and controls Hawkeye and the professor. Loki steals the Tessarect and gives chase. That's what triggered for the S.H.I.E.L.D. to contact several renowned heroes (Iron Man, Captain America, Dr. Banner/The Hulk and the Black Widow [Scarlett Johannson was so smexeh]). Only in the middle of the movie did Thor enter.

Let's start about this. The angles of the camera were fine, but few camera angles were unnecessary. The effects were stunning but, it didn't appeal to me somehow because, it has been very general/generic. The story starts off quite slow, and gets a quicker pace on the two-thirds of the whole movie watching but I don't mind that. The casting is thumbs up, every actor had portrayed well.

What has disappointed me somehow is that it lacks something that I couldn't lay my finger on.

Many people says it was good and as I've watched, you get alternate feelings of action/suspense to comedic relief. I guess they could have made the comedic relief a bit more comedic. Few people have reacted to their punch lines. The serious tone of the movie was, as they put it, very dark but not too much that makes it mysterious. The climax and ending was pretty much predictable: they would get exhausted and then, help comes in and the world is saved again. The plot could be better than that.

Ruby rates it:
Mai Tokiha Mai Tokiha Mai Tokiha out of Mai Tokiha Mai Tokiha Mai Tokiha Mai Tokiha Mai Tokiha
Average Movie
Three out of five Tokiha mushrooms.

If they could've gotten something that would give an "oomph" to that movie, maybe I'll reconsider this rating.

The Fire Stirring Ruby
Ramen Noodles Specialist
Ramen Noodles Specialist

Bubuzuke points : 2561
Armitage GUTS!!! : 746

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:23 pm

The Avengers was okay. It reminded me a lot of Batman & Robin with it's constant jokes, corniness and yaoi innuendo. The best thing I got out of it was watching it with Puppeh. We did HILARIOUS color commentary while watching it and everybody in the theater loved us for it. Other than that, The Avengers wasn't as great as people say. It's amazing that we finally have all these superheroes on screen, but like most superhero films, it could of been executed better. Just treat it as a stupid popcorn film and enjoy it for what it is.

---

Luu Sky Sapphire Reviews Snow White & The Huntsman:

Every once in a while you come across a "fresh and new" version of Snow White. Sometimes, even a version you've never experienced before. Snow White to me is the most famous of the Grimms Fairy Tales. Not because of the story, but because of the media attention it's received. It's like this simplistic story about a little princess, her evil step-mother and several midgets was destined for greatness on a large scale. Enter Disney's 1937 film "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", which also happens to be their first animated motion picture. The movie became a huge success over night, ushering in a whole new era for the Snow White legend. I loved the Disney film to death, it's easily one of the greatest animated films of all time. However, aside from what I've heard in children's books, countless cartoon adaptations, parodies and the Disney film, I never really explored the Snow White legend further. To see how others imagined it.

Those who have read about my trip to Indonesia will know I have seen the recent Mirror Mirror comedy film. Funny, huh? Two Snow White related films in the same year. While Mirror Mirror was a cute little form of escapism, the highly anticipated Snow White and the Huntsman not only made this classic story fresh, it revolutionized it.

The film stars Kristen Stewart of Panic Room and the Twilight films. I know...I completely agree with your facepalm, but hear me out. Kristen stars, obviously enough, as Snow White herself. After witnessing the death of her father (The King) as a child, she was captured and tossed into the North Tower to be her stepmother's eternal prisoner. To her credit, Kristen Stewart finally did what I've always wanted her to do: Act. Her mannerisms on how she would escape the tower, that was a great example of her performance. You can read her thoughts and follow along with her getaway. And the way she sold the CGI sequences in the Dark Forest, I must say I'm impressed. Kristen's Snow White went through pretty solid character development throughout the film, I'll get to that later. Kristen's co-star in this epic is none other than Eric the Hunstman, played by Chris Hemsworth. His performance comes off as a cliche, the guy who lost his wife and will do anything to get her back...UNTIL...he discovers what the bad guys are really up to, then he switches over and accidentally falls in love with the new girl. Notwithstanding, he plays this part very well. Chris' Huntsman has a great sense of humor, making light of dark situations. It's the "I'm a bad ass...softie on the inside" deal over the course of the film, only not too obvious. You may not notice it, but your brain will. To further discussion on the Huntsman, I'm used to versions where the Huntsman is mainly used as a plot device. Whenever the Huntsman is mentioned, I immediately think of the guy who the Queen sends to bring back Snow White's heart. This film earns a lot of credit for utilizing The Huntsman in a larger role without making him feel secondary. So all in all, Chris was a great Huntsman.

But the actress that steals the show is Charlize Theron as Ravenna aka The Evil Queen. If you've watched any of Charlize's past films, you will notice the intensity in her eyes. She's so diverse during scenes where she's just screaming orders, it sends shivers up my spine. Like Elizabeth Bathory, Charlize's Queen wants to maintain her youth and beauty by using young girls from her kingdom. Don't worry, this film doesn't pull a Hostel II. Rather, The Queen sucks the youth out of the girls using her powers. Simple and creepy, just the way I love it. Charlize's intensity is so over-the-top good that it had everyone in the theater going "yikes!" "whoa!" "holy crap!" I loved this response from today's hard-to-please-audience (myself included), she put on the performance of a lifetime here. Not her best, but easily a step above any recent film.

This rendition of Snow White was just as you imagined it, darker and more serious. Then again, most people have approached me and claimed the original Grimms fairy tales were darker stories, just made lighter by the cartoons. If that's the case, then it was the smart decision to return to it's roots. The visuals in Snow White & The Huntsman are absolutely phenomenal. FINALLY. FINALLY. FINALLY. DECENT CGI. This couldn't be anymore true about the short fight with the troll. While one can classify this as a fantasy film, Snow White & The Huntsman is a action fantasy film. There are a lot of pretty cool battles. Nothing spectacular, but still good enough to satisfy the viewers. LOOK AT ALL THE PRETTY HORSIES!!! Speaking of digital effects, I felt the Dark shard glass soldiers were AWESOME! If they replaced The Queen's normal army, that would of been an amazing sequence. Thanks to the good CGI in the film, I could believe a battle like that. A lot of what happens in the film is one action sequence after another, without letting the characters breathe. Fortunately enough, every action sequence had a reason behind it. Nothing in the film was done just for the sake of action. Each confrontations added twists to the story, something a lot of action films have trouble with nowadays. Yes, I am looking at EVERY SINGLE Jason Statham movie. Going back to the CGI, there is only one negative flaw I found during the "mirror mirror on the wall scene". In this version, the mirror entity comes out of the mirror in gold T-1000 goop and then becomes a bed sheet covered man. It's like if a pimp decided to be a ghost for Halloween. I couldn't stop laughing, mentally, at this scene.

With 'Huntsman' in the title, a lot of people asked themselves...where are the Seven Dwarfs? Would they be included into a darker version of the classic story? To answer this question: YES. And you know what? It was a smart decision. The dwarfs in Snow White &The Huntsman were the same lovable kind dwarfs you always knew, only a little more edgy. When I first saw them, I was a little worried that they'd be rendered as side characters thanks to The Huntsman becoming the star. Instead, they did exactly what I wanted them to do: JOIN SNOW WHITE TO DEFEAT THE QUEEN. My only complaint about the dwarfs is that some of them were difficult to understand whenever they mumble old English. Christian Bale's Batman sounded more clear.

As one could expect, Snow White and her friends set out on a journey back to the Queen's castle. Queen Charlize Theron gets desperate for Snow White's heart (which by the way, will grant her immortality), so she digs into her "oldest trick" book and tries the poison apple shtick. Only there's no build up for it! YES! This movie executed a scene out of the blue! While Snow White and her childhood friend William start to catch up on old times before The Queen took over, he offers her an apple and...Jiminy crickets!! YOU'RE NOT WILLIAM!!!!! The Huntsman, William and the Dwarfs come to Snow White's aid in time, but it is too late. Rather than end the movie here, they actually get past the "love's first kiss" scene and continue onward! Kristen's Snow White awakens from her deep sleep to gather her cowardly army and have them rise up against The Queen. In an awesome final battle sequence (the visuals here are just so damn good here. Haven't witnessed a scene where the army needs to charge through a beach THIS good since 1989's Glory. The final confrontation between Kristen and Charlize was a bit of a letdown, sadly. Charlize takes control most of the time, while Kristen finds her deus ex machina and wins. I was hoping for more of a competitive fight between the two, maybe leading to Charlize falling to her death with the dagger Kristen pierced in her chest? Maybe? Whatever, the Kingdom is now safe and they all lived happily ever after!

Snow White and the Huntsman gave me a fresh new look at the classic story I enjoyed as a child. I'm 26 now and I can only refer to the Disney film for so long. The movie is a visual treat, every actor (even the dwarfs who weren't played by actual little people?!) performed well and the story kept me glued. Most of the credit goes to Kristen Stewart and especially Charlize Theron for their performances. Ironically, the only thing that prevents this movie from getting a higher rating will be the fact that both actresses didn't have an extensive battle to the death. It would of made the climax feel more meaningful and give Kristen a chance to show a veteran like Charlize "I CAN be a great actress". It could of been a great symbolic interior and exterior battle that way, but I guess 170 million worth of budget couldn't cover such a silly thing.

Luu Sky Sapphire rates Snow White & The Huntsman: Natsuki Kruger2 Natsuki Kruger2 Natsuki Kruger2 Akira Okuzaki / Natsuki Kruger2 Natsuki Kruger2 Natsuki Kruger2 Natsuki Kruger2 Natsuki Kruger2

4 Kruger and 1 Okuzaki/5: LOW FULL PRICE

---

Coming later today: Luu Sky Sapphire Reviews Prometheus

BEST. FILM. OF. THE. YEAR. Flawed. But. BEST. FILM. OF. THE. YEAR. I have a lot to say about this one...

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 pm

bump

"the fact that Doug doesn't like Temple of Doom, but LOVES The Dark Knight, one of the greatest mysteries of the universe...

Ok, before the haters come in, let me explain - The Dark Knight is ridiculous and stupid, but parades around as if it's dead serious, whereas Temple of Doom is ridiculous and stupid but is aware of that and intentionally plays out like a B movie.

The Dark Knight has so many stupid plot holes that it's hard for me to suspend my disbelief. But Temple of Doom is MEANT to break the suspension of disbelief. It's an homage film, not a serious action film. And as a homage film, it works flawlessly."

Thank you.

Really, Nostalgia Critic. Really? The best nitpick you had about my favorite movie was "Willie was annoying"?

You're nitpicking suspension of disbelief in a movie ABOUT SUSPENDING YOUR DISBELIEF! Only done right and not shoved down your throat. *looks at Kingdom of the Crystal Skull* 'Temple of Doom' is art and a shining gem compared to it's identical siblings.

To Doug's credit though, he is aware that the movie cannot be considered bad, nor the worst of the Indy films. That is why he used the 80s peeps as the opposition. ^_~

Next review coming soon:

The Dark Knight Rises

facepalm

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sergay Tate on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:26 am

throwing this out there, i could NOT look past the whole Batman sliding his bike sideways, and having the wheels, with guns still attached, spin around sideways. IT'S NOT POSSIBLE!!! lol

Sergay Tate
Cat Goddess
Cat Goddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuga Natsuki on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Do we really need to post reviews? I can't be arsed doing that right now :lol: I'll just make a list of my favorite movies

The Godfather
Schindler's List
Sleepy Hollow
Big Fish
Sin City
Watchmen
The Dark Knight films
The Addams Family 1 & 2
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Inception
Black Swan
Forrest Gump
Dead Silence
Most Marx Brothers films
The Shining
American Beauty
Most Pixar films
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Shakespeare In Love
Silent Hill
The Birds
Sweeney Todd
Donnie Darko
Dead Poet's Society

Anime films:
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door
Paprika
Perfect Blue

Kuga Natsuki
Space Samurai Marshall Banana

Bubuzuke points : 9892
Armitage GUTS!!! : 592

View user profile http://stargazerium.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 pm

bump

Nymphetamine wrote:Do we really need to post reviews? I can't be arsed doing that right now

;p You are an arse! No, you don't have to post reviews. Just listing your favorites is enough~

---

Luu Sky Sapphire reviews: Puppet Master x: Axis Rising
---

Puppet Master, arguably the greatest low budget horror movie series of all time. I'd remember bugging my parents to drive over to Blockbuster Video or our supermarket, just to rent a copy of these movies. It was rare to see anything by Full Moon Entertainment on sale, so renting was the only way to go. I loved the Puppet Master movies, they were my alternative to the Child's Play films with Chucky. Puppet Master had a wider variety of killer playthings, their movies revolved around stories much grander than the Chucky's films and each film is memorable in it's own way. Except for Curse of the Puppet Master. What a steaming pile of dog shit.

Charles Band, with enough money in his savings account, would deliver a new direct to video Puppet Master movie every couple years or so. His last film in the series, Puppet Master: Axis of Evil was a decent return for the series. Unfortunately, it wasn't perfect as to be expected from Post-Paramount Full Moon. It's mainly the reason why the first five films are the most popular in the series, they had a higher budget thanks to funding from Paramount. Full Moon was able to afford effects like stop motion, better puppeteering and dangerous props like the Torch puppet.

From Curse to this latest film, Axis Rising, you don't see any of that. Sure the puppeteering has improved a little since Curse, but that's about it. Nothing fluid like in the first five films from the 90s. I'm forgiving unlike many Full Moon diehards who seem to forget that Mr. Band is not good at saving cash. It's a miracle Puppet Master even has a tenth film, so quit your bitching. On the negative side, Axis Rising is nowhere close to being a perfect entry.

The story takes place immediately after Axis of Evil with Ozu, the beautiful Japanese spy with the terrible Engrish, running off with the puppets.

Wait.

Why does she only have Tunneler? I thought Danny and his girlfriend said:

Beth: She took the puppets with her!

Danny: Except for Ninja, Blade and Pinhead.

O_O; DID OZU "MAGICALLY DROP LEECH WOMAN AND JESTER!? Come on, Full Moon. This is why fans criticize your movies for lack of consistency! After running off with JUST Tunneler, Ozu runs into our new villain, Moebius. A Nazi commander who wants to make an invincible race of human soldiers to help fight in the war. Ozu, played by a new actress, is immediately killed off by Moebius. Really? REALLY? What's the point of teasing us with the possibilities of what she had planned with the puppets if you're just gonna kill her off? Whatever, cut to Danny and Beth (also played by new actors) who learn of Ozu's death and the Nazis running off with Tunneler from Blade. You might be asking, where's Ninja? Well, he's not here. Apparently, Charles Band didn't like the Ninja puppet from the last film, so he had him "killed off" by having Danny say:

"I couldn't grab him fast enough before we got out of there."

Excuse me? The bomb was stopped, how could you not go back for Ninja? No puppet dies from being stabbed with a katana. Ninja even had enough strength to kill one Nazi after being stabbed by Ozu. You had NO excuse to kill him off. STAY CONSISTENT. IF YOU WANTED TO KILL NINJA SO BADLY, THERE WERE LOADS OF CHANCES LATER IN THIS FILM.

After Danny and Beth have their scene, they're kidnapped by the United States army. Danny is willing to help the army find the remaining Nazis in Chinatown, as long as he can serve in the army (despite his crippled leg). Meanwhile, Moebius and his main squeeze Uschi (a big breasted Nazi) try to force/pursued their scientist, Freuhoffer, to make the perfect soldier. This is all such a rehash of Puppet Master III, only not as a good. Major Krauss did the same thing with Dr. Hess, in which Hess eventually discovers that the puppets are more useful (becoming one himself *hint hint* Blade). Later on, Freuhoffer discovers the secret to Toulon's formula, creating a bunch of new puppets in the process. One of them being Uschi after she was shot by Moebius for cheating on him earlier.

Danny and Beth are soon partnered with Sergeant Stone, a cliche Sarge-type character who is an expert at killin' Natzees. He is baffled by the appearance of Danny's friends, the puppets. But like Harrison Ford once said:

"Well, short help is better than no help at all, Chewie".

During an award ceremony where Danny and his girlfriend are about to receive medals for saving the factory in the previous film, Moebius's puppets show up and murder two army guys and have their first battle with the Toulon puppets. XD It was funny watching Bombshell and Leech Woman fight each other. Blitzkrieg was kind of cool since he was like a tank. Weremacht is creepy looking yet kinda lame as he doesn't really do much, other than punch Blade. As for Kamikaze...let's just say this is the most racist looking puppet I've ever seen. Who designed it? 1940s Bugs Bunny?

After regrouping from the attack, Danny and friends aren't optimistic about striking back at the Nazis. With these new suped up puppets, there's no way they can gain the upper hand. That is, until Leech Woman shows Danny Six-Shooter's hat. Pure fanboy moment here! We haven't seen Six-Shooter since 2004's Puppet Master vs. Demonic Toys (yes, I do consider this film canon. If Charles Band doesn't care about continuity, why should I?). For some reason, Six-Shooter is dressed in all black in this film. It hasn't been explained why, but oh well. The finale of the movie ends up in the secret Nazi laboratory where Moebius kills the Sarge (NO! NOT THE SARGE!!!), leaving Danny's puppets to take on the new puppets for the final time. The fight ends up being a disappointment with Kamikaze doing what he was built for. You guessed it.

BOOM!

With a CGI explosion effect. Full Moon couldn't afford to blow up the laboratory set for this one take? How cheap. Danny and Beth escape fast enough with all the good puppets in tact. They even let Freuhoffer go since he didn't have any direct involvement with the Nazi, he was just forced to make those new puppets. BUT WAIT! The movie ends on another cliffhanger with a sinister looking Freuhoffer holding a vile of the Toulon formula. Ugh, ENOUGH! Just make the bridge to the events of Puppet Master 1 already, Full Moon!

Overall, Puppet Master X: Axis Rising is kind of a guilty pleasure. The acting is terrible, the sets look cheap and the puppets barely had any screen time. Yet, I cannot hate this film because once you watch the famous Full Moon "Video Zone", you'll quickly discover how hard Band and his team worked on this film. I'll be gentle and say they had the best of intentions to return the series back to it's roots, but they need to try harder. Rather than focusing so much on dialogue scenes between human characters, focus more on the puppets. They're the REAL actors in our eyes, Mr. Band. It doesn't take much to improve these films when you really think about it. We want a coherent story, DECENT acting at best, a high body count CAUSED BY THE PUPPETS AND NOT BY THE HUMAN CHARACTERS, and most of all: better production values. Even with the Universal back lot, Puppet Master III is still considered a low budget movie. And low and behold, it surpassed expectations. This is 2012 going into 2013, you'd expect something BETTER. Axis Rising is a baby step in the right direction, Full Moon. Take giant leaps in the future. PLEASE.

Luu Sky Sapphire rates Puppet Master Axis Rising:

nao lick nao lick / nao lick nao lick nao lick nao lick nao lick

2/5 Nao Yuuki

Pros:

Slightly better than Axis of Evil.
Interesting villains.
Cool new puppets
Return of Six Shooter.
Big boobed Nazi
Slightly better puppeteering
Good intentions to bring back the franchise back to it's roots. [Video Zone]

Cons:

Bad actors (except Sarge. He was awesome)
Ozu's premature death
Too much exposition/talking
Not enough Puppet action
THE PUPPETS NEED TO MURDER MORE PEOPLE.
Absence of Ninja
Lame excuse to leave Ninja out
Consistency...what's that?
Ends on a cliffhanger rather than bridge the much needed gap between III and I.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Not very impressed with the new Man of Steel trailer. Nothing in the trailer indicates any chance of topping this:

^^; Even the way the 'Man of Steel' trailer was done, it felt like TDK. I know Nolan is on board, but come on. Another run-of-the-mill post-9/11 "dark" film on the way. *sits back down until Catching Fire shows up*

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sugiura on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:27 pm

One of my favorite movies has to be Fat Pizza, though I have never been able to figure out why

Midori Sugiura
High Priest Brony of Midori-ism

Bubuzuke points : 3740
Armitage GUTS!!! : 251

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuga Natsuki on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 am

Review time! I just got done watching my Silent Hill Revelation DVD, and as much as I enjoyed it, I do have a few complaints, and I totally understand why people say the film was awful.

The movie was rushed a bit. 90 minutes, which is too short. If I were a professional movie director, I would've gotten a higher budget, and would've made the movie longer. Much longer. Even maybe 130 minutes, because the film missed so much from the third Silent Hill game, and Pyramid Head wasn't necessary to be in the movie, since he wasn't in the third video game. Also, in both the video game and the movie, a red heel can be seen a motel room, and Heather used that shoe as a puzzle for the theme park scene, but the red heel was basically trash in the film, since it only made a cameo, and was in no use for the film. And about the theme park, they totally messed up the scene, especially the merry-go-round, because in the game, the merry-go-round literally had real dead horses, but in the film, it was either fake horses or living suffering humans/monsters. That's my big complaint there.

The film also had cheesy dialogue, and the major plot points in the film were revealed way too fast. Also the acting was rusty, and the scenes weren't long enough. Many creepy things happened in the video game, like the mall scene, but nothing really happened in the mall scene from the movie. Chases, but no scary shit.

I still enjoyed the movie, strangely enough. I guess it wasn't enough to break my devotion to the Silent Hill franchise. I prefer the first film, however, since it was MUCH longer - 125 minutes, much more scary, more devoted to the first video game (though with different characters, nonetheless).

Also SH2 ended with a cliffhanger, and as much as I want to know what would happen next, I don't want them to make a third Silent Hill film, since they bombed the second one just like that. I enjoyed SH 1 and 2, but I have a feeling making a third Silent Hill film (prequel or sequel) would completely ruin everything Nina Wang

SH1: 9/10
SH2: 7/10

Kuga Natsuki

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sugiura on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:57 am

Nymphetamine wrote:Review time! I just got done watching my Silent Hill Revelation DVD, and as much as I enjoyed it, I do have a few complaints, and I totally understand why people say the film was awful.

The movie was rushed a bit. 90 minutes, which is too short. If I were a professional movie director, I would've gotten a higher budget, and would've made the movie longer. Much longer. Even maybe 130 minutes, because the film missed so much from the third Silent Hill game, and Pyramid Head wasn't necessary to be in the movie, since he wasn't in the third video game. Also, in both the video game and the movie, a red heel can be seen a motel room, and Heather used that shoe as a puzzle for the theme park scene, but the red heel was basically trash in the film, since it only made a cameo, and was in no use for the film. And about the theme park, they totally messed up the scene, especially the merry-go-round, because in the game, the merry-go-round literally had real dead horses, but in the film, it was either fake horses or living suffering humans/monsters. That's my big complaint there.

The film also had cheesy dialogue, and the major plot points in the film were revealed way too fast. Also the acting was rusty, and the scenes weren't long enough. Many creepy things happened in the video game, like the mall scene, but nothing really happened in the mall scene from the movie. Chases, but no scary shit.

I still enjoyed the movie, strangely enough. I guess it wasn't enough to break my devotion to the Silent Hill franchise. I prefer the first film, however, since it was MUCH longer - 125 minutes, much more scary, more devoted to the first video game (though with different characters, nonetheless).

Also SH2 ended with a cliffhanger, and as much as I want to know what would happen next, I don't want them to make a third Silent Hill film, since they bombed the second one just like that. I enjoyed SH 1 and 2, but I have a feeling making a third Silent Hill film (prequel or sequel) would completely ruin everything Nina Wang

I agree perfectly

The Reason Pyramid Head is in this film is because He is popular, no other reason, yet with all this we never get the Incubus!

Midori Sugiura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuga Natsuki on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 am

Midori Sugiura wrote:
Nymphetamine wrote:Review time! I just got done watching my Silent Hill Revelation DVD, and as much as I enjoyed it, I do have a few complaints, and I totally understand why people say the film was awful.

I agree perfectly

The Reason Pyramid Head is in this film is because He is popular, no other reason, yet with all this we never get the Incubus!
YES D'8 The lack of Incubus would leave the Silent Hill newbs in total baffleness Akira Okuzaki Nina Wang

Kuga Natsuki

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sugiura on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 am

Nymphetamine wrote:
Midori Sugiura wrote:

I agree perfectly

YES D'8 The lack of Incubus would leave the Silent Hill newbs in total baffleness Akira Okuzaki Nina Wang
10 bucks says most people don't know that Pyramid Head is a manifestation of James's unfulfilled desire for punishment for the death of Mary Shepherd-Sunderland.

Midori Sugiura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Can you believe that I still haven't seen it? haha. The first Silent Hill film is better than fans give it credit for. It did become more about the evil religious group instead of fighting off the demons, but it's story/atmosphere stayed true to the source material. I heard the same thing happened with the second film, borrowing elements from Silent Hill 3.

Pyramid Head was a fanservice in the first film. If his presence was explained in the second film, it doesn't really matter at this point.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuga Natsuki on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:21 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Can you believe that I still haven't seen it? haha. The first Silent Hill film is better than fans give it credit for. It did become more about the evil religious group instead of fighting off the demons, but it's story/atmosphere stayed true to the source material. I heard the same thing happened with the second film, borrowing elements from Silent Hill 3.

Pyramid Head was a fanservice in the first film. If his presence was explained in the second film, it doesn't really matter at this point.
Exactly what you said.

Pyramid Head was completely unnecessary in the second film... -_- I just got done watching the SH3 walkthrough game, and they missed way much more than I could count Nina Wang

Kuga Natsuki

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:23 am

Nymphetamine wrote:
Pyramid Head was completely unnecessary in the second film... -_- I just got done watching the SH3 walkthrough game, and they missed way much more than I could count Nina Wang

I'll check the movie out for myself before giving a final verdict. Still, there's a feeling that watching the Silent Hill 3 playthrough on YouTube would be a more entertaining ride than Revelation. lol

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:48 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top