Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

The Rose of Versailles/Lady Oscar Discussion (BREAKING NEWS! LICENSED BY RIGHTSTUF)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Rose of Versailles/Lady Oscar Discussion (BREAKING NEWS! LICENSED BY RIGHTSTUF)

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:36 pm

The Rose of Versailles/Lady Oscar Discussion

===

HUGE NEWS FOR OLD SCHOOL ANIME FANS LIKE ME! A CHILDHOOD FAVORITE, A LOOSE PIONEER IN YURI AND TECHNICALLY THE "OLD SCHOOL UTENA" RETURNS! RIGHTSTUF HAS OFFICIALLY LICENSED 1972'S THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES AKA LADY OSCAR!!! HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I CAN'T BELIEVE I LIVED TO SEE THE DAY! FINALLY! FINALLY! FINALLY!!!

Right Stuf, Viki License The Rose of Versailles Anime

North American anime distributor Right Stuf announced on Wednesday that it acquired TMS Entertainment's classic historical shōjo anime The Rose of Versailles, and the company licensed the right to stream the anime to the online video site Viki. Right Stuf will release the 40-episode anime in two limited-edition DVD sets next year, and Viki will begin streaming the anime to the United States and Canada in December. The Nozomi Entertainment arm of Right Stuf is handling the translation and production for both the DVDs and the online streams.

The story is set in the intrigue-filled court of Queen Marie Antoinette before and during the upheavals of the French Revolution. Lady Oscar is a young woman raised as a man to serve in the palace guards.

To promote the anime, Right Stuf will ask Riyoko Ikeda, the creator of the original 1972-1973 manga, interview questions submitted by fans. ANN and Tufts University Professor Susan Napier, the author of Anime from Akira to Howl's Moving Castle, will preview the first episode with English subtitles at New York Comic Con on October 13. Napier describes this influential 1979-1980 anime:

When Rose of Versailles burst on the scene in 1972, it was a revolutionary work in many ways. First of all, it really was a work about revolution — the French Revolution of 1789, to be exact — and its historical setting, psychological complexity, and adult themes all signaled a new direction in the genre of manga for young girls, known as "shojo manga."
Even more "revolutionary," however, was the introduction of a major cross-dressing character, the young woman named Oscar, who befriends and guides the hapless Marie Antoinette as the world churns around her. While much of Versailles is historically accurate, Oscar is Ikeda's own invention, a passionate young woman who dresses and often behaves like a man. Oscar quickly became the series' most popular protagonist and her gender-bending role not only gave young female readers a new approach to gender and sexuality but also paved the way for the many other gender-ambiguous characters who continue to populate the world of anime today.

In addition to the television anime series, the manga inspired a 1990 animated film, a long-promised but unreleased animated film remake, perennial musicals by the all-female Takarazuka Revue since 1974, and even a live-action 1978 French/Japanese film.

The Rose of Versailles
Based on "The Rose of Versailles" by Riyoko Ikeda.

Source: Animenewsnetwork

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42279
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2498

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rose of Versailles/Lady Oscar Discussion (BREAKING NEWS! LICENSED BY RIGHTSTUF)

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:08 pm

bump

rightstuf's website released some concept artwork for the eventual DVD sets of The Rose of Versailles. Not bad so far:

Source: http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/nozomiEntertainment/seriesSites/roseOfVersailles

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rose of Versailles/Lady Oscar Discussion (BREAKING NEWS! LICENSED BY RIGHTSTUF)

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Thu May 30, 2013 10:59 pm

A couple of screenshots from The Rose of Versailles DVD set! So beautiful! Yeah the animation is stiff by today's standards, but the art remains incredible. You'll never see those 70s anime eyes again. Arika Yumemiya

- Oscar being a cocky badass.

- Countess Du Barry trashing her room for the eleventh time.

- Andre trying to knock some sense into Oscar as usual.

- If only Marie Antoinette. If only. Or else you wouldn't of ended up like Mami Tomoe...

Trollface OnlyIseewhatIdidthar.

---

I gotta tell you, The Rose of Versailles anime continues to soar into greatness. Ever since Marie Antoinette became Queen, the steady decline has already taken shape. It's powerful to watch Oscar trying everything she possibly can to make sure Marie doesn't become hated.

Tax money out the window! The only thing coming in are more gifts for the Queen, in addition to her concerts and balls. Oscar allows it for now in the current episode, knowing she is just covering up for her loneliness (ever since her love, Hans Axel de Fersen, left). For now anyway.

fack, this is a masterpiece already and I'm not even finished. Remember, I haven't seen this anime since my age was in single numbers. I remember it being good, but not THIS good.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by depression76 on Thu May 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Spoiler:
A couple of screenshots from The Rose of Versailles DVD set! So beautiful! Yeah the animation is stiff by today's standards, but the art remains incredible. You'll never see those 70s anime eyes again. Arika Yumemiya

- Oscar being a cocky badass.

- Countess Du Barry trashing her room for the eleventh time.

- Andre trying to knock some sense into Oscar as usual.

- If only Marie Antoinette. If only. Or else you wouldn't of ended up like Mami Tomoe...

Trollface OnlyIseewhatIdidthar.

---

I gotta tell you, The Rose of Versailles anime continues to soar into greatness. Ever since Marie Antoinette became Queen, the steady decline has already taken shape. It's powerful to watch Oscar trying everything she possibly can to make sure Marie doesn't become hated.

Tax money out the window! The only thing coming in are more gifts for the Queen, in addition to her concerts and balls. Oscar allows it for now in the current episode, knowing she is just covering up for her loneliness (ever since her love, Hans Axel de Fersen, left). For now anyway.

fack, this is a masterpiece already and I'm not even finished. Remember, I haven't seen this anime since my age was in single numbers. I remember it being good, but not THIS good.

OMG it's so good looking now! I wonder if Hulu is using this remastered version instead, they just picked up the series for streaming see?

One little thing that irks the hell out of me though...why are they still using that fugly yellow-colored-lowres-font for the subs?! Can't they change it or something? D:

:: deviantArt :: Personal Blog :: Tumblr ::

depression76
White Devil Worshiper
White Devil Worshiper

Bubuzuke points : 7634
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1396

View user profile http://daydreamwiththedragon.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Fri May 31, 2013 5:26 pm

depression76 wrote:OMG it's so good looking now! I wonder if Hulu is using this remastered version instead, they just picked up the series for streaming see?

One little thing that irks the hell out of me though...why are they still using that fugly yellow-colored-lowres-font for the subs?! Can't they change it or something? D:

Not sure, I haven't been on Hulu in quite some time. They usually have anything that already made it to home video, so it's worth a check. You *HAVE* to see this series by today's perspective. It's like watching the Sailor Moon anime and Fushigi Yuugi nowadays, it's a series that's better than you remember.

OMG, I agree with you. Never liked the yellow subtitles in my anime. ^^; Nozomi should of used bold white text fonts instead for more clarity. Akira Okuzaki That aside, I am eternally grateful to Nozomi and Rightstuf for bringing this masterpiece to the 2010s era of anime.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Look what arrived at my door step earlier! The second DVD set of The Rose of Versailles with Oscar in her dress and The Black Knight!

Speaking of Oscar-sama in the dress...

I love how Andre refers to Lady Oscar as "My Oscar"! XD

Is that so, Andre? :'3 Think again....

^ And then she nods! How feminine of her! XD

I'm currently on the third disc of the set and I've got to tell you, this second half is darker than I remember as a child. With Versailles nobles falling apart at the seams, The seeds of the French Revolution have already grow and will bud any day now. All the while Oscar is fighting her own personal battle as a woman in love with two men. One she had to let go and the other she knew since childhood. This series is just about perfect in every conceivable way, they just don't make anime like this anymore. Again, my kudos and respect to Rightstuf and Nozomi for this release.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:04 pm

Tonight I watch the last disc of Rightstuf and Nozomi's release of the legendary 'The Rose of Versailles' on the big screen with my projector.

Quick thought: Though it was a crummy way to go out, I didn't hate Marie Antoinette by the end. On the contrary, in fact. The woman had great dignity and I admire her.

My full review on The Rose of Versailles coming in my next post.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire's final thoughts on The Rose of Versailles:

---

It warms my heart whenever a series is able to change your way of thinking. A series that resonates with our very own society and who we are as people. People that laugh, cry and fight for what we believe in. Whether it's fighting on the battlefield or dealing with the scariest emotion on Earth: Love.

There is so much I could say about The Rose of Versailles from start to finish. Instead, I will give my general impression of the series as a whole. Based on Riyoko Ikeda's original manga of the same name, The Rose of Versailles follows the difficult lives of Oscar François de Jarjayes, her best friend André Grandier and the famous historical figure and arguably the most famous Queen in history: Marie Antoinette. Most of the focus is on Lady Oscar, a skilled young woman who is enlisted as commander of the Royal Guard at an early age (dresses?! Nay says Oscar!). Along with Andre, the two protect Marie and serve Versailles and indeed, the very good of France. It's tough to maintain nobility in a time where nobles were despised by their own people. None more despised than Marie Antoinette, who is a constant target of ill rumors and being responsible for the poverty and high tax throughout France, along with her awkward husband, King Louis XVI.

In defense of Marie Antoinette as both a real historical figure and a character in this alternate take on history, I will say this: The Queen has my respect. I've never in my 27 years of living seen a more misunderstood human being in my life. The rumors were so over the top stupid, that they doesn't even make logical sense. Marie loved her country and her children, I believe this with all my heart and the series portrays that nicely. She was, however, unfit for ruling a country. But rather than show her mercy, they executed her during the height of the French Revolution's ugliness. During the final episodes of The Rose of Versailles, there were many emotional scenes peppered throughout. Oscar and Andre aside (I'll get to them soon) but one made me tear up the most (spoilers):

I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried during this. Even after all the terrible things done and said to Marie, she not only remembered Rosalie, she fondly remembers the deceased Oscar. The same Oscar she remained friends with for over 20 years until the day they parted because Oscar refused to fight against the people of France. Marie holds no bitterness or grudge against Oscar for turning her back on her and Versailles. It's...beautiful.

Then there's Oscar and her Andre:

Don't get me wrong, The Rose of Versailles is not all sadness and death. The first half of the series is a lot of fun with adventure, missions and mysteries that our brave duo must complete and tons of laughs. Unfortunately, these were short lived when reality came crashing down on them. During the second half, Oscar's heart fills with joy upon seeing a returning Hans Axel von Fersen. Unaware that Andre also shares strong feelings for Oscar, but even Fersen would be the first one to tell you that these two were meant to be together. When he hears Oscar call Andre "My Andre", he is not surprised in the least and supports it.

The romance between Oscar and Andre is shorted lived...or is it? From the time they were very young in the beginning of the series, there was always something *there* that these two, or rather Oscar, didn't see before. The moment she came to realize her feelings for Andre, it was too late. Never leave the house or log off the internet without telling that special someone you love him or her. Andre is a real man, patient and always supports Oscar no matter what decision she makes. He's always been her voice of reason. Somewhere...up there...they'll always share the love they missed out on for so long. In a strange way, I'm relieved that they didn't live long enough to see the uglier stages of the French Revolution. It would of broke their hearts.

The Rose of Versailles has some of the best voice acting/seiyuu cast, including Taro Shigaki, Rihoko Yoshida, Keaton Yamada, Miyuki Ueda who went on to do key animation in other A-list classics like Fushigi Yuugi and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. Then there's the great Reiko Tajima; voice of Oscar-sama. Reiko-san has tremendous fire in her performance as Oscar, you could literally feel her passion with every jump, tackle, sword swing and scream. Everyone was very good in their respective role.

Again a major shout out to Nozomi Entertainment and Rightstuf for bringing us The Rose of Versailles. I've always loved this series, but have never had the chance to watch it in it's entirety. As a young boy who was two years away from discovering the legendary Sailor Moon in 1995, I've only seen bits and pieces of The Rose of Versailles; in shuffled order mind you. It took a long time but we finally have the perfect DVD sets for this great series so my children can someday know of Lady Oscar and her fight for justice. And for the first time in over 10 years, Revolutionary Girl Utena is replaced by this series as my #4 favorite and overall bets of all time anime series. That is saying a lot as Utena is a masterpiece of art and innovation too. The Rose of Versailles is the Godmother of shoujo and even the yuri genre. I can picture them all, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Mai-HiME/Otome...even unsung classics like Sukeban Deka. They all share strands of DNA left behind by Riyoko Ikeda. Even the all-female theater troupe, Takarazuka Revue, did amazing shows for The Rose of Versailles. The version I remember fondly was the 2006 show by the Snow Troupe starring Hikaru Asami aka Komu.

Thank you, Oscar. May you star shine alongside Andre's forever.

Luu Sky Sapphire rates The Rose of Versailles:

Viola Viola Viola Viola Viola / Viola Viola Viola Viola Viola 
5 out of 5 Viola.
Rating: BETTER THAN SEX

+ Epic and consistent story.
+ The 70s animation is a charm.
+ Brilliantly written characters
+ Breathtaking voice work
+ Beautiful soundtrack

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenSun13 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:20 am

Ordered this for my house mate yesterday (she has a thing about using cards online). She better have a binge watch with me or else I will charge 50% more... jk
She used to watch it in French (my Mum used to watch it in Italian) so she was a tiny bit disappointed when she found that was not an option. I hope she enjoys it anyway. I've never managed to watch this for some reason, so I'm hoping that now I have a legal means of viewing it, I will.

Last edited by GoldenSun13 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total

GoldenSun13
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 1966
Armitage GUTS!!! : 613

View user profile http://wuzzupy13.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:15 pm

It's an above average series. One of the greatest. She'll find it richer than the last time she watched it.

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:16 pm

bump 

The Rose of Versailles wall scrolls have suddenly appeared on Amazon.com! So many excellent ones to choose from! A lot of them have all your favorites from the ROV roster including Lady Oscar, Rosalie, Marie Antoinette, Andre, Count Fersen and even that bitch Jeanne! Here's the one I just ordered for myself (a beautiful full body of Oscar with Marie Antoinette, Fersen and Andre. I wish Rosalie made the pic too, but beggars can't be choosers...unless you were a starving Revolution maniac at that time. :'D ):

You can find them all in the link provided below:

The Rose of Versailles wall scrolls on Amazon

Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:20 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top