Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Rinne no Lagrange

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rinne no Lagrange

Post by Darthtabby on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:02 am

Anyone watching this one? The first half aired during the Winter Season and the second half is airing this season. It's my favorite show of the year so far.

The main character in the show is Madoka Kyono, a very spirited and energetic girl who is the sole member of the service oriented "Sweats Club." She ends up meeting a very strange girl named Lan who seems interested in joining the club. Madoka promises to help Lan with anything she wants if the other girl agrees to becomes her comrade. However even she's caught off guard when Lan asks her if she can pilot a robot!

What follows is a very entertaining mix of mecha-action, parody, slice of life comedy, and some surprisingly powerful drama. I wasn't completely sold on the series after the first three episodes (it seemed pretty but rather cliche) but a few episodes later I was thinking of it as a contender for my favorite show of the season. The show has its share of cliches but its also has some interesting little twists and subversions (most notably the third girl in the main trio is not the ditzy, overly busty airhead many viewers probably assumed she was prior to watching the fourth episode).

Also, given the nature of this forum it's probably worth pointing out that someone with a decent pair of yuri goggles should be able to get lots of mileage out of this series. :)

Viz Media put out a nice little English subtitled trailer for the series. It's not perfect but the way they handle the intro is pretty funny.

Last edited by Darthtabby on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing the title)

Darthtabby
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 88
Armitage GUTS!!! : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rinne no Lagrange

Post by SpiralDasher on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:20 am

"Maru!"

I watched the first season, but I don't think I'll be watching the second one. I love Madoka's attitude because it's really different form all the other "teenager suddenly in a mecha" anime and those stereotypes. She has an upbeat personality (quite the opposite from the angsty teenager trope this genre has) and tries to help people. Everyone in town also knows she's the one piloting it, cheering her on as she fights, and doesn't keep a a secret (another step away from the usual trope).
However, my favorite part is that she looks out for others on the ground, makes them the first priority, when fighting. You can see this in, I think, the third episode where she purposefully leads the enemy away to an abandoned lot and store that's no longer in use. Instead of attacking when she has the chance, she drives in to save a fellow citizen of her town from getting crushed by a vending machine. In that scene, she uses a street-light as a baseball bat and uses wrestling moves to disarm her opponents; the fighting scenes were just generally fun and uplifting to watch! =)

Then it got dark and turned into the typical mecha anime. ;_; Fell out of interest.

SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 1203
Armitage GUTS!!! : 400

View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/~littledemoninside

Back to top Go down

Post by Darthtabby on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Are you referring to the start of the second season?

Darthtabby
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiralDasher on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:14 am

No. The first season.

SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Darthtabby on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Would that be Muginami's story arc your thinking of then? Or the big siege near the end of the series?

Darthtabby
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiralDasher on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:13 am

Fight scene I'm talking about: before Mugi even appears. When Madoka's first fighting Kirius.

When the series gets dark: Mugi's arc, yeah. >_<

SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Darthtabby on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:32 am

Personally, I rather liked Muginami's arc, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Although I don't really think the series ever really got all that dark. It's had some dark moments sure, but overall its tone is pretty optimistic IMO. I also think those darker parts serve a purpose. I don't think Madoka forgiving Muginami and coming to accept her as she is would be nearly as heartwarming if the show hadn't shown some of the horrible things Muginami has been through.

Anyhow on a hopefully less controversial note, do you find the fact that Yoko (Madoka's cousin -the one she calls onee-chan) is voiced by the same voice actress as Yukino to be hilariously awesome? I'm thinking in particular of the scene in the second episode where she rips into Madoka for acting like she's doing a favor after she agreed to do something.

Not the kind of thing Mamiko Noto is generally known for... :lol:

Darthtabby
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:27 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down