Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

"USODA!!!" The Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rant and disscusion thread (Manga and Anime, but if you played the original Sound Novel, then this thread is also for you)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"USODA!!!" The Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rant and disscusion thread (Manga and Anime, but if you played the original Sound Novel, then this thread is also for you)

Post by midori's crazy398 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 pm

Hey everyone, this is the unofficial 'Drunken Master of Midorism' midori's crazy398 speaking. I recently started reading the famous/infamous Higurashi manga series. I really want to play the original sound game, but the manga and anime are also amazing, so for now i'll stick with them. If you guys are fellow fans of the horror/mystery that is Higurashi, then feel free to post any of your thoughts about this awesome series. Here's a quick summary for those who are interested in trying to read/play/watch Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. In the summer of June 1983, a teenage boy named Keiichi Maebara moves into Hinamezawa, a really secluded mountain village that is hard to reach from the outside world. As soon as he moves in, Keiichi makes friends with some of the cute girls at his school (Rena Ryugu, my favorite psyco, Mion Sonozaki, Rika Furude, and Satoko Hojo). The five of them are living a very peaceful life that seems so perfect it could go on forever. However, Keiichi soon learns of a grisly murder that happened in the village four years ago. While investigating the murder and slowly becoming paranoid at his friends refusal to tell him about the killing, he learns that every year, the village holds the Watanagashi Matsuri, a festival to honor their village deity, Oyashiro-sama. On each Watanagashi Matsuri, one person dies and one goes missing. Keiichi soon sees the effects of the event the day after the festival and his paranoia mounts higher. Thus begins the endless cycle of death...

midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Posts : 2094
Bubuzuke points : 2592
Armitage GUTS!!! : 442
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 18
Location : Anywhere,...come and find me ; D

View user profile http://swif.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: "USODA!!!" The Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rant and disscusion thread (Manga and Anime, but if you played the original Sound Novel, then this thread is also for you)

Post by Konaxookami on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Aww yeah.

I freaking love Higurashi. You have no idea. This show was my first serious and scary anime. Between this and Umineko, horror movies can't scare me. Because damn if this show is scary and creepy as heck.

And the plot! Man I love it. I can't ever place which of the arcs is my favorite though, since they're all really well thought out and great. Though I think the Cotton Drifting Arc had the most shock value for me a a whole because it literally made just go 'WHAT WHAT WHAT JUST HAPPENED WHAT DID HE SAY' Plus the answer Arc for it is just heartbreaking and everything about the twins gives me plenty of feelings. Urgggg...

But yeah. I freaking love Higurashi. I've cosplayed as Keiichi a few times in my day-he was my first convention cosplay. Man...Higurashi just has a lot of good memories packed in it for me.

Even though I was stupid and watched the first arc by myself in an empty house as night. I was pretty freaked out after that. Learned my lesson though-always watch Higurashi during the day and preferably in the company of other people.

Konaxookami
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Posts : 1340
Bubuzuke points : 2209
Armitage GUTS!!! : 803
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 22
Location : Somewhere between the Furthest Ring and the Hall of Justice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "USODA!!!" The Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rant and disscusion thread (Manga and Anime, but if you played the original Sound Novel, then this thread is also for you)

Post by midori's crazy398 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:34 am

Konaxookami wrote:Aww yeah.

I freaking love Higurashi. You have no idea. This show was my first serious and scary anime. Between this and Umineko, horror movies can't scare me. Because damn if this show is scary and creepy as heck.

And the plot! Man I love it. I can't ever place which of the arcs is my favorite though, since they're all really well thought out and great. Though I think the Cotton Drifting Arc had the most shock value for me a a whole because it literally made just go 'WHAT WHAT WHAT JUST HAPPENED WHAT DID HE SAY' Plus the answer Arc for it is just heartbreaking and everything about the twins gives me plenty of feelings. Urgggg...

But yeah. I freaking love Higurashi. I've cosplayed as Keiichi a few times in my day-he was my first convention cosplay. Man...Higurashi just has a lot of good memories packed in it for me.

Even though I was stupid and watched the first arc by myself in an empty house as night. I was pretty freaked out after that. Learned my lesson though-always watch Higurashi during the day and preferably in the company of other people.


I know what you mean about it being scary, every time I get to read or watch an intense scene in the anime, I jump and my heart starts racing like I just had an adrenaline shot. I remember the day I bought the first manga book in the series. I was flipping through its pages at the B&N, when I came across the famous scene of the first major "USODA!!" that Rena shouts at Keiichi. As soon as I saw the two page color spread of a pissed off Rena shouting that now terrifying phrase, I literally jumped backwards and looked at the picture like Rena was really going to kill me. Funny how that moment sealed her place as my favorite character who also scares the shit out of me. As for the plot, I'm in love with it in all of its gorey complexity. My favorite arcs are Tsumirobosi-Hen (the one where Rena goes nuts and has that plan to blow up the school) and the Cotton Drifting arc, where Shion goes nuts and has an inquisition of all the other characters. The image of Rika stabbing herself in the head still haunts me to this day.

midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Posts : 2094
Bubuzuke points : 2592
Armitage GUTS!!! : 442
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 18
Location : Anywhere,...come and find me ; D

View user profile http://swif.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: "USODA!!!" The Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rant and disscusion thread (Manga and Anime, but if you played the original Sound Novel, then this thread is also for you)

Post by Konaxookami on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:02 pm

midori's crazy398 wrote:
Konaxookami wrote:Aww yeah.

I freaking love Higurashi. You have no idea. This show was my first serious and scary anime. Between this and Umineko, horror movies can't scare me. Because damn if this show is scary and creepy as heck.

And the plot! Man I love it. I can't ever place which of the arcs is my favorite though, since they're all really well thought out and great. Though I think the Cotton Drifting Arc had the most shock value for me a a whole because it literally made just go 'WHAT WHAT WHAT JUST HAPPENED WHAT DID HE SAY' Plus the answer Arc for it is just heartbreaking and everything about the twins gives me plenty of feelings. Urgggg...

But yeah. I freaking love Higurashi. I've cosplayed as Keiichi a few times in my day-he was my first convention cosplay. Man...Higurashi just has a lot of good memories packed in it for me.

Even though I was stupid and watched the first arc by myself in an empty house as night. I was pretty freaked out after that. Learned my lesson though-always watch Higurashi during the day and preferably in the company of other people.


I know what you mean about it being scary, every time I get to read or watch an intense scene in the anime, I jump and my heart starts racing like I just had an adrenaline shot. I remember the day I bought the first manga book in the series. I was flipping through its pages at the B&N, when I came across the famous scene of the first major "USODA!!" that Rena shouts at Keiichi. As soon as I saw the two page color spread of a pissed off Rena shouting that now terrifying phrase, I literally jumped backwards and looked at the picture like Rena was really going to kill me. Funny how that moment sealed her place as my favorite character who also scares the shit out of me. As for the plot, I'm in love with it in all of its gorey complexity. My favorite arcs are Tsumirobosi-Hen (the one where Rena goes nuts and has that plan to blow up the school) and the Cotton Drifting arc, where Shion goes nuts and has an inquisition of all the other characters. The image of Rika stabbing herself in the head still haunts me to this day.

I'm pretty sure everyone has a soft spot for the Cotton Drifting Arc because it really was the first super CRAZY arc-with the plot twists and he crazy stuff that happens-ESPECIALLY in it's answer arc.

But I know what you mean! When I first saw the 'USODA!' page in the manga I was in the car on the way home from the bookstore and I literally threw the book at the seat in front of me and gave one of those girly sort of surprised screams. Same thing with the page in the Cotton Drifting arc where it's just Shion's eyes. I was in my room and I hit my head on my top bunk out of surprise because it was that creepy.

It has so many shock or of jump scares in it that it makes it so much fun to watch! And then the whole mystery of the Hinamizawa Curse and everything that goes with it is just so fun to ponder and enjoy working at.

Still though-I think my favorite character is Shion. There is just so much to her and all of her motivations and problems. Her and Satoshi and their relationship makes my heart hurt. And the fact that she never gave up on him, and that she tried to protect Sakoto in the last few arcs is just-She goes through such a character change and you learn so much about her in the last arcs that I just love her so much. I mean-SHIT. The Cotton Drifting Arc and the Answer Arc for it just make her probably the craziest character, but the most tragic too, right after Rika in my books.

UGH.

Just everything about this series is great.

Konaxookami
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Posts : 1340
Bubuzuke points : 2209
Armitage GUTS!!! : 803
Join date : 2010-08-15
Age : 22
Location : Somewhere between the Furthest Ring and the Hall of Justice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "USODA!!!" The Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rant and disscusion thread (Manga and Anime, but if you played the original Sound Novel, then this thread is also for you)

Post by midori's crazy398 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Konaxookami wrote:
midori's crazy398 wrote:
Konaxookami wrote:Aww yeah.

I freaking love Higurashi. You have no idea. This show was my first serious and scary anime. Between this and Umineko, horror movies can't scare me. Because damn if this show is scary and creepy as heck.

And the plot! Man I love it. I can't ever place which of the arcs is my favorite though, since they're all really well thought out and great. Though I think the Cotton Drifting Arc had the most shock value for me a a whole because it literally made just go 'WHAT WHAT WHAT JUST HAPPENED WHAT DID HE SAY' Plus the answer Arc for it is just heartbreaking and everything about the twins gives me plenty of feelings. Urgggg...

But yeah. I freaking love Higurashi. I've cosplayed as Keiichi a few times in my day-he was my first convention cosplay. Man...Higurashi just has a lot of good memories packed in it for me.

Even though I was stupid and watched the first arc by myself in an empty house as night. I was pretty freaked out after that. Learned my lesson though-always watch Higurashi during the day and preferably in the company of other people.


I know what you mean about it being scary, every time I get to read or watch an intense scene in the anime, I jump and my heart starts racing like I just had an adrenaline shot. I remember the day I bought the first manga book in the series. I was flipping through its pages at the B&N, when I came across the famous scene of the first major "USODA!!" that Rena shouts at Keiichi. As soon as I saw the two page color spread of a pissed off Rena shouting that now terrifying phrase, I literally jumped backwards and looked at the picture like Rena was really going to kill me. Funny how that moment sealed her place as my favorite character who also scares the shit out of me. As for the plot, I'm in love with it in all of its gorey complexity. My favorite arcs are Tsumirobosi-Hen (the one where Rena goes nuts and has that plan to blow up the school) and the Cotton Drifting arc, where Shion goes nuts and has an inquisition of all the other characters. The image of Rika stabbing herself in the head still haunts me to this day.

I'm pretty sure everyone has a soft spot for the Cotton Drifting Arc because it really was the first super CRAZY arc-with the plot twists and he crazy stuff that happens-ESPECIALLY in it's answer arc.

But I know what you mean! When I first saw the 'USODA!' page in the manga I was in the car on the way home from the bookstore and I literally threw the book at the seat in front of me and gave one of those girly sort of surprised screams. Same thing with the page in the Cotton Drifting arc where it's just Shion's eyes. I was in my room and I hit my head on my top bunk out of surprise because it was that creepy.

It has so many shock or of jump scares in it that it makes it so much fun to watch! And then the whole mystery of the Hinamizawa Curse and everything that goes with it is just so fun to ponder and enjoy working at.

Still though-I think my favorite character is Shion. There is just so much to her and all of her motivations and problems. Her and Satoshi and their relationship makes my heart hurt. And the fact that she never gave up on him, and that she tried to protect Sakoto in the last few arcs is just-She goes through such a character change and you learn so much about her in the last arcs that I just love her so much. I mean-SHIT. The Cotton Drifting Arc and the Answer Arc for it just make her probably the craziest character, but the most tragic too, right after Rika in my books.

UGH.

Just everything about this series is great.

I agree with you about Shion's development throughout the arc's. I actually feel really sorry for her because of all the pain she goes through. We see her go from a cheery, girl with a good personality and a strong relationship with her sister Mion, to a pitiful lunatic who is so obsessed with Satoshi that she kills everyone in his name, thinking he is dead when he isn't. But then she regains some goodness by vowing to protect Satoko for Satoshi. Its like seeing her descend into hell, only to get one step closer to heaven. That's why she's my second fav. If i had to rank them all, i'd say Rena is 1, Shion is 2, Rika is 3, Mion is 4, and Keiichi would be 5. I dont really think much of Satoko because i kinda find her to be annoying, but then i feel sorry for her too because everyone treats her like shit at some point in the story. I think i perfer Rena over Shion simply because i feel a greater connection with her in the story. She was somewhat insane at the beginning, then as we see more of her background we see all the factors that scarred her (her mother abandoning her, Rina taking advantage of her father and tried to kill her, she thinks she's disgusting because she has half of her mother in her, so she imagines that maggots live in her skin and eat at her because of that. She also has many epic kill moments and she just scares me to the bone while still making me feel pity). I guess her and Shion are both really mentally fucked up characters. >_> you cant help but feel bad for them.

midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Posts : 2094
Bubuzuke points : 2592
Armitage GUTS!!! : 442
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 18
Location : Anywhere,...come and find me ; D

View user profile http://swif.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: "USODA!!!" The Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rant and disscusion thread (Manga and Anime, but if you played the original Sound Novel, then this thread is also for you)

Post by Lerena on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:29 pm

You have no idea how pleased I was to find a discussion thread for this on here. XD I just recently got back into Higurashi and it's a renewed obsession of mine.

At first, I was afraid to watch it because I thought it was scary, but I quickly realized there has to be more to it than what people think at first glance. I gave it a chance and it didn't scare me at all. In fact, I really enjoyed it and even the gore. My first run through Higurashi was five years ago. Oddly enough, AMVs told me there has to be more to the show than horror and gore, because that isn't the only thing I took from them. There were actual happy moments I noticed, so out of curiosity I had to watch it and shortly after was introduced to arcs and why Higurashi is broken down into them.

The series was overall an interesting experience, because it taught me that there's some gore I can tolerate (even though the gore isn't that bad in the anime when compared to horror movies). I am currently reading the visual novel for Higurashi and I'm almost past the first arc.

I've also watched Umineko no Naku Koro ni and I will be reading its visual novel after I finish with Higurashi.

More on my experience with Higurashi later.

Lerena
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist

Posts : 3110
Bubuzuke points : 3662
Armitage GUTS!!! : 554
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 24
Location : I'm Lost.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "USODA!!!" The Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rant and disscusion thread (Manga and Anime, but if you played the original Sound Novel, then this thread is also for you)

Post by midori's crazy398 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Lerena wrote:You have no idea how pleased I was to find a discussion thread for this on here. XD I just recently got back into Higurashi and it's a renewed obsession of mine.

At first, I was afraid to watch it because I thought it was scary, but I quickly realized there has to be more to it than what people think at first glance. I gave it a chance and it didn't scare me at all. In fact, I really enjoyed it and even the gore. My first run through Higurashi was five years ago. Oddly enough, AMVs told me there has to be more to the show than horror and gore, because that isn't the only thing I took from them. There were actual happy moments I noticed, so out of curiosity I had to watch it and shortly after was introduced to arcs and why Higurashi is broken down into them.

The series was overall an interesting experience, because it taught me that there's some gore I can tolerate (even though the gore isn't that bad in the anime when compared to horror movies). I am currently reading the visual novel for Higurashi and I'm almost past the first arc.
I've also watched Umineko no Naku Koro ni and I will be reading its visual novel after I finish with Higurashi.
More on my experience with Higurashi later.

Thanks! I'm glad you like the thread. I recently got into Higurashi and when I saw we didn't have a thread on this series I figured I should just start one. I also decided to give the series a chance after I found clips of the sound novel on YT. Before that I had decided not to have anything to do with it because the first Higurashi anime scene I had ever come across was the scene where Rika stabs herself in the head. Now that I understand the plot however, the series doesn't seem so senseless. I actually just started the first arc in the manga, but I got an understanding of some future arcs through the anime and the wiki. I can't help it, when I really get into a story I end up spoiling it for myself ; p. Since you've completed the series, who is your favorite character?

midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Posts : 2094
Bubuzuke points : 2592
Armitage GUTS!!! : 442
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 18
Location : Anywhere,...come and find me ; D

View user profile http://swif.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: "USODA!!!" The Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rant and disscusion thread (Manga and Anime, but if you played the original Sound Novel, then this thread is also for you)

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:04 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum