Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:19 pm

What's so "bad" about Nao Yuuki's character?

Let's start off with an opener by SpiralDasher aka LittleDemonInside:




First of all, a huge contributing factor to why I don’t like Nao is just her character type. Unfortunately, it makes me highly bias against her character. =/

The second reason I dislike her character is how she handles situations. If she didn’t try to be the loner person that always got in trouble, people might’ve believed her when she said she didn’t attack Yukariko. If you build a bad reputation, it’s going to bite you in the butt eventually.

People say she’s basically, “she’s Natsuki if Shizuru never entered Natsuki’s life.” But nothing says she’s couldn’t have opened up to someone and became their friend. Heck, Mikoto could have been a great friend with Nao but Nao rejected any form of friendship with anyone.

Then there’s her past: her dad was attacked by a gang (I can’t remember if he was killed) and then her mom fell comatose (again, I can’t remember why). Because of that she was sent to relatives and just passed around because the relatives just took her family’s money and passed her on. Because of that she doesn’t trust anyone; that I see the justification in and sympathize with her.

But she could have opened up to someone.

The way she gets money is the next part to take into consideration. She needs the money for her comatose mother, so she seduces men and steals their money. The counter to this is that the guys all seem older (late teens/early twenties) and slimy. (But there was that one student from the fireworks show that was from her school so I guess any boy is okay?) I guess she steals from those guys as a type of personal retribution for the gang that attacked her father?

She’s in middle school, wouldn’t there be a legal situation that says she can’t pay for the medical procedure for comatose patients? The mother wasn’t cut off from her treatment because the other family members would have had legal custody and Nao’s mom was still alive during the whole anime- wouldn’t they be the ones responsible for paying for it? Nao shouldn’t half to because she legally wouldn’t be able to get that kind of money! It’s not-… okay, moving on.

Even if you put that aside: then I have to ask, why doesn’t she just get money from part-time jobs like Mai? She’s already staying out past curfew, so I assume she doesn’t care about the school rules.

Mai’s mom is either dead, in the hospital or comatose. (I can’t remember which one.) I don’t remember what happened to her dad either. But she does make friends and does part-time jobs so she can pay for her brother’s medicine and heart surgery.

So the only part of her I see justified is her loner-ness because her father was attacked by a gang and the people she called family used her to get her family’s money.

But she could have made friends and opened up to people. (But she didn’t and that’s part of what defines her character, I understand that. That’s also part of her character type which I’ve explained I’m not a fan of.) And she could have gotten a job to try and pay for her mom’s treatment (or point out that her other family should be paying for her mom’s treatment because there’s no way she could because she’s a middle school student.)

Basically, friggin’ anime logic is to blame for all her problems. =-=;;




As a contrast to my defense of Nao in this thread (if you're gonna praise Nao, I suggest you go here):

The Misunderstood: Nao Yuuki

This thread serves to criticize the character and point out the flaws that make some of us dislike her. Over at a Shizuru thread, myself and a few others (ookamidesu and depression76 I believe) nudged Dash to share her opinion on Nao here. So with her thoughts up, here I go.

To paraphrase my defense thread, I do feel Nao is yearning for friendship. You can't tell me she didn't have the best time of her life at Midori's karaoke party. However as Dash pointed out, she dug her own grave in the reputation department. Was this not the same girl who tried to kill her fellow HiME by making an entire building collapse? Over the fact that she played "temptation" with Mikoto and refusing to drop her rule breaking ways?

"We have these powers, we can do whatever we want"

^ This principal really bothers me about Nao Yuuki. I'm sure the men who attacked her mother thought the same thing. With great power in some form, it's okay to abuse it? On innocent people no doubt. Granted, the folks that Nao captures on a daily basis aren't the cleanest, but it gets to the point where Nao is just doing whatever she wants, when the power of Element and CHILD is more of a responsibility. To me and Midori Sugiura anyway. *high fives our boyscout superhero ways*

A lot of it has to do with Nao's difficult with letting people in. Trusting them ala Natsuki Kuga. She even saw her own HiME team as a threat, immediately thinking "they're out to get me" when the idea of the Carnival started to sink in. Big mistake, it's exactly what Reito wanted. Tsk tsk.

Comments/opinions below!

_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38480
Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by CaptainVonCookie on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:52 am

I like her.

Therefore your argument is invalid! X3

CaptainVonCookie
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Posts : 368
Bubuzuke points : 535
Armitage GUTS!!! : 161
Join date : 2011-12-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Sergay Tate on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:16 pm

well, i do understand why she isolates herself the way she does. i'm not saying it's right, but i get it. the main thing that i don't like about Yuuki is pretty much the way she goes completely out of her way to be a pain to others. maybe i'm exaggerating that a bit, but still, it just annoys me. she'll turn up and these random times, and just make things worse, it annoys me -_-

and in the dub, i don't like her voice. it's so whiny! and i hate all the complaining about her eye, yes, it hurts, we all know, so stop telling us!

on a whole, i don't like Nao Yuuki (but Zhang i like). it all just comes down to how she handles situations really.

Sergay Tate
Cat Goddess
Cat Goddess

Posts : 5208
Bubuzuke points : 5947
Armitage GUTS!!! : 724
Join date : 2011-05-21
Location : Brisbane, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Sergay Tate wrote:well, i do understand why she isolates herself the way she does. i'm not saying it's right, but i get it. the main thing that i don't like about Yuuki is pretty much the way she goes completely out of her way to be a pain to others. maybe i'm exaggerating that a bit, but still, it just annoys me. she'll turn up and these random times, and just make things worse, it annoys me -_-

and in the dub, i don't like her voice. it's so whiny! and i hate all the complaining about her eye, yes, it hurts, we all know, so stop telling us!

on a whole, i don't like Nao Yuuki (but Zhang i like). it all just comes down to how she handles situations really.

No, you have something there Sergay. ^^; Though she was not directed responsible for certain events, she was easily accused and does have guilty written all over her face. Why? The "Lost Kitten" episode. Mikoto fell into temptation thanks to Nao, immediately making the Spiderwoman a bad influence and the other girls know it. Then there's the events of the Carnival...I mean, kidnapping Natsuki? Twice?

Whew...what a way to make things worse; eh Yuuki?

CaptainVonCookie wrote:I like her.

Therefore your argument is invalid! X3

>:3 Don't make me drag out the Obama holding the puppy pic...

_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38480
Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by MidnightPersona on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:57 pm

CaptainVonCookie wrote:I like her.

Therefore your argument is invalid! X3

Before I begin... this is the most idiotic defense I have ever seen. Just because I like Haruka doesn't change the fact that she's a stubborn, pigheaded, oblivious, girl who can't accept herself or her feelings let alone Yukino's or anyone else's.

Anyways, onto Nao.

Nao Yuuki does give a reason for her isolation. She hates men... but why not befriend women? How can she stand... touching men at all? But her ideas... I like.

Use your powers anyway you want. I would. I'd do what I felt was best and take down anyone in my way... especially to protect my most precious person. *cough*

But... no one knew initially they were fighting for their most precious person. What was Nao fighting for?

She's a sick girl who tortures and, for all we know, possibly killed a few men to accomplish her goal. She doesn't even have a sexual interest really. She shows NO interest for any character male or female. NO NOT EVEN KUGA!

Spiders do NOT 'do bondage' they capture and EAT their prey. Nao wanted a snack... and not in a sexual way. Revenge. Death.

The Shizuru beats her... Kuga is now bait for Fujino. The wheel turns.

But... for a while there it looked like things were looking up, right?

But then she gets betrayed. Look at her? I mean... she begins to trust these girls then Yukariko frames her.

Thing is, it's no excuse. She does many atrocious things to multiple characters all for what? She coulda talked it out, she coulda done a lot different. She refuses to trust anyone but herself, but instead of keeping to herself she goes out to destroy all men... honestly, I think she did kill one or two... even if on accident. But even if she did she wouldn't care.

She's cold. She lost most of her heart. Yes, she was hurt when her mother died but that was all she had... and even her mother was a shell of her former self due to the fact she was, well, yeah.

Nao is a pitiable character, but that doesn't excuse her deeds. She is no better than any of the others, especially not better than Fujino. In fact, Nao is just as fucked up--if not more so--than Fujino. At least Fujino was doing stuff out of love and to save Natsuki... as misguided and wrong as it was. Yuuki? Revenge. Murder. If Nao did nothing to Kuga then Fujino wouldn't have gave two fucks.

Honestly? Nao Yuuki is more fucked up, in my opinion, than the infamous Tomoe. Nao Yuuki could be redeemed, but it would take a lot of work and she would need to get over herself and admit she has some srs bsns problems... and, of course, admit to herself just how much she is like both Fujino and Kuga.

/end rant for nao.

MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Posts : 3431
Bubuzuke points : 4284
Armitage GUTS!!! : 798
Join date : 2011-04-20
Location : HaruKino's Dorm Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by CaptainVonCookie on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:49 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:

>:3 Don't make me drag out the Obama holding the puppy pic...

NUUUUOOOOOO!!!! Anything but that!!!! I surrender, I surrender!

@MidnightPersona It's a perfectly valid defense! And I'm sticking to it! Razz
(Before you take it the wrong way, I was joking with Luu.)

Now for the original question on what I don't like about her: Can't say anything really. Personally her traumatic back story. But that's what gave her depth and realism throughout the series and kept things interesting. I think she was quite controlled for a traumatized child with that kind of power though!

CaptainVonCookie
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Posts : 368
Bubuzuke points : 535
Armitage GUTS!!! : 161
Join date : 2011-12-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Sergay Tate on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:35 pm

@Raven: the first time i watched the series, i was hoping that when she was getting in with the other HiME she might actually become a good person, because she shows the potential to be. but Yukariko screwed that for her pretty badly. she still didn't react the way should have when that happened though, lashing out and attacking others and what-not.

i don't agree with her using her powers the way she did, because she didn't really have a decent reason. although it's just kind of the typical bad guy thing. "i hate these people so i'm going to harass them." yeah, Shizuru had a reason, but it doesn't make using your powers for anything you want right (not taking a stab at you, it's just my opinion :) ). Nao took it too far though, and that is just... not cool man, not cool.

Sergay Tate
Cat Goddess
Cat Goddess

Posts : 5208
Bubuzuke points : 5947
Armitage GUTS!!! : 724
Join date : 2011-05-21
Location : Brisbane, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:05 pm

CaptainVonCookie wrote:NUUUUOOOOOO!!!! Anything but that!!!! I surrender, I surrender!

It's too late for you, Ivana Spankoff. >:3

CaptainVonCookie wrote:(Before you take it the wrong way, I was joking with Luu.)

That's me. Just a silly ol' guy. giggity

---

She's a sick girl who tortures and, for all we know, possibly killed a few men to accomplish her goal. She doesn't even have a sexual interest really. She shows NO interest for any character male or female. NO NOT EVEN KUGA!

I'm going to ask you this again, does this theory confirm Nao Yuuki as an asexual predator?


_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38480
Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by MidnightPersona on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Sergay Tate wrote:@Raven: the first time i watched the series, i was hoping that when she was getting in with the other HiME she might actually become a good person, because she shows the potential to be. but Yukariko screwed that for her pretty badly. she still didn't react the way should have when that happened though, lashing out and attacking others and what-not.

i don't agree with her using her powers the way she did, because she didn't really have a decent reason. although it's just kind of the typical bad guy thing. "i hate these people so i'm going to harass them." yeah, Shizuru had a reason, but it doesn't make using your powers for anything you want right (not taking a stab at you, it's just my opinion :) ). Nao took it too far though, and that is just... not cool man, not cool.

Sergay, that wasn't what I was saying. Did you even read my reply or am I just unclear?

The use of 'powers' wasn't the center behind it, but the aspect of WHY someone does something...

Re-read and re-reply. If you can't seem to gather what I actually meant, do me a favor and ask me specifics so I can clarify...

MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Posts : 3431
Bubuzuke points : 4284
Armitage GUTS!!! : 798
Join date : 2011-04-20
Location : HaruKino's Dorm Room

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Sergay Tate on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:54 am

MidnightPersona wrote:
Sergay Tate wrote:@Raven: the first time i watched the series, i was hoping that when she was getting in with the other HiME she might actually become a good person, because she shows the potential to be. but Yukariko screwed that for her pretty badly. she still didn't react the way should have when that happened though, lashing out and attacking others and what-not.

i don't agree with her using her powers the way she did, because she didn't really have a decent reason. although it's just kind of the typical bad guy thing. "i hate these people so i'm going to harass them." yeah, Shizuru had a reason, but it doesn't make using your powers for anything you want right (not taking a stab at you, it's just my opinion :) ). Nao took it too far though, and that is just... not cool man, not cool.

Sergay, that wasn't what I was saying. Did you even read my reply or am I just unclear?

The use of 'powers' wasn't the center behind it, but the aspect of WHY someone does something...

Re-read and re-reply. If you can't seem to gather what I actually meant, do me a favor and ask me specifics so I can clarify...

well, i was just using that section of what you said, that's all. i know you weren't using powers as a main focus, but i decided to. and i was also rather tired when i replied, so i probably read it all wrong and messed it all up *facepalm* sorry :S

Sergay Tate
Cat Goddess
Cat Goddess

Posts : 5208
Bubuzuke points : 5947
Armitage GUTS!!! : 724
Join date : 2011-05-21
Location : Brisbane, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by SpiralDasher on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:09 pm

It's true that Yukariko started the second act of the Carnival with that whole, "Nao hurt me!" lie, but you have to realize that if Nao wasn't that way to begin with (ex: deceiving Mikoto and pissing off Natsuki and Mai that way and being generally bitter and mean-spirited), they would have been more sceptical about Yukariko's claims in the first place.

Natsuki: Huh, something about all of this seems fishy to me...
Mai: What're you talking about?! She's a nun! Nuns don't lie!
Natsuki and Mai: -run off to beat the crap outta Nao-

SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Posts : 755
Bubuzuke points : 1203
Armitage GUTS!!! : 400
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 25
Location : On an island.

View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/~littledemoninside

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 am

SpiralDasher wrote:It's true that Yukariko started the second act of the Carnival with that whole, "Nao hurt me!" lie, but you have to realize that if Nao wasn't that way to begin with (ex: deceiving Mikoto and pissing off Natsuki and Mai that way and being generally bitter and mean-spirited), they would have been more sceptical about Yukariko's claims in the first place.

Natsuki: Huh, something about all of this seems fishy to me...
Mai: What're you talking about?! She's a nun! Nuns don't lie!
Natsuki and Mai: -run off to beat the crap outta Nao-

You'd think Natsuki who is supposedly wise to the ways of deception would be the first to question Yukariko's claim.

Nah, Nao is a royal bitch and this is clearly her fault. Nao could of been cooperative about the allegations but instead had to throw out that "I never liked you from the start" line, in addition to summoning Julia.

nao lick Nao: Letting emotions get the best of her since 2004.

_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38480
Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by CaptainVonCookie on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Also, naughty nuns are hot.

CaptainVonCookie
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Posts : 368
Bubuzuke points : 535
Armitage GUTS!!! : 161
Join date : 2011-12-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Lerena on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:40 am

I adore Nao, but there are things I don't like about her. For example, I disagree with the method she uses to obtain money. It's disgusting for her to tempt older men just because they might be interested in her body. What I find equally unappealing is those men actually wanting her when she's only what? 14? She even says at one point that men are all the same, saying that they're all easy to manipulate. No, not necessarily. She only picked out men that she knew would fall into her trap. How can someone make an argument without considering her opposition? Nao takes advantage of weak-willed men, not men with a bigger backbone and stronger will.

Additionally, how was she able to attack anyone in the amount of pain she was in? Forgetting the script for a second it would take ages for someone to develop that much pain tolerance. Chances are she hasn't had that kind of training, so realistically she would be on the floor writhing in severe pain and torment. I'm just going off on a limb here, because I highly suspect that in the middle of a large war getting your eye shot isn't grounds to stop fighting. Sorry if I gave anyone nasty images. I understand why she would want to hurt people in a state like that, but how would she have been able to? I know this is anime, so screw logic, but seriously?

Of course, given that this is anime, I will try to put up with anime logic for a few seconds. She also steals, which on its own is not a good way to obtain money. There are better ways to get something than to steal to get it.

A lot of plot holes have already been pointed out, so I can't point out her age being an issue. However, even if she legitimately asked to get a job I do have to express my doubts that she would have been able to get one. This isn't to defend Nao; it's only to point out that she's probably too young to be allowed a chance to work.

Her kidnapping of Natsuki is also not very intelligent of her. Why did she not learn the first time? If If someone beat me in a fight I wouldn't go out of my way to kidnap the same person again just for vengeance. That would be stupid, so in a way I have to criticize that too. She's not very intelligent when she's hurt.

Lerena
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist

Posts : 3077
Bubuzuke points : 3626
Armitage GUTS!!! : 551
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 24
Location : I'm Lost.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Lerena wrote:I adore Nao, but there are things I don't like about her. For example, I disagree with the method she uses to obtain money. It's disgusting for her to tempt older men just because they might be interested in her body. What I find equally unappealing is those men actually wanting her when she's only what? 14? She even says at one point that men are all the same, saying that they're all easy to manipulate. No, not necessarily. She only picked out men that she knew would fall into her trap. How can someone make an argument without considering her opposition? Nao takes advantage of weak-willed men, not men with a bigger backbone and stronger will.

Additionally, how was she able to attack anyone in the amount of pain she was in? Forgetting the script for a second it would take ages for someone to develop that much pain tolerance. Chances are she hasn't had that kind of training, so realistically she would be on the floor writhing in severe pain and torment. I'm just going off on a limb here, because I highly suspect that in the middle of a large war getting your eye shot isn't grounds to stop fighting. Sorry if I gave anyone nasty images. I understand why she would want to hurt people in a state like that, but how would she have been able to? I know this is anime, so screw logic, but seriously?

Of course, given that this is anime, I will try to put up with anime logic for a few seconds. She also steals, which on its own is not a good way to obtain money. There are better ways to get something than to steal to get it.

A lot of plot holes have already been pointed out, so I can't point out her age being an issue. However, even if she legitimately asked to get a job I do have to express my doubts that she would have been able to get one. This isn't to defend Nao; it's only to point out that she's probably too young to be allowed a chance to work.

Her kidnapping of Natsuki is also not very intelligent of her. Why did she not learn the first time? If If someone beat me in a fight I wouldn't go out of my way to kidnap the same person again just for vengeance. That would be stupid, so in a way I have to criticize that too. She's not very intelligent when she's hurt.

Very much agree with your entire wall, Lerena. Nao is not a bad character in the end, just a bit too misguided for her own good, given the circumstances. Every male Sunrise's plot feeds to her isn't exactly Prince Charming or Bruce Lee, so they cannot ignore her advances nor defend themselves against her. She represents the "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" label so perfectly. I'm also not going to really fight against the asexual claims, although I'd say she'd lean closer to women if she felt the need to finally love. Nao isn't the type of person to let grudges go. Case and point, her reaction to seeing Shizuru Fujino alive and well again:



Add that to the list of things I don't like about Nao. Kuga took the brave plunge to forgive her dear friend, Nao should of too, for the sake of ridding herself of any bitter hatred that makes her sick. ^^;

Wait! Nao tolerated Shizuru enough to attend Post-Carnival get-togethers...



Caaaaan you feel
the tension toniiiiight~

_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38480
Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by hildebrant on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:41 am

I'm just going to get straight to the point. When I first started this series, back when I was pretty much blinded by anger and I heard Nao's speech about how useless and pathetic men were I despised her and everything about her. She made me sick to my stomach.

However, upon learning about what happened to her and how her own family disowned her and sent her to an orphanage, its pretty understandable that she would turn into what she is.

So what I'm getting at is. I'm not her biggest fan in the world but I at least feel sorry for what she's gone through.

hildebrant
Coral student
Coral student

Posts : 644
Bubuzuke points : 888
Armitage GUTS!!! : 233
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 33
Location : The sunken City of R'Lyehh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:50 pm

hildebrant wrote:I'm just going to get straight to the point. When I first started this series, back when I was pretty much blinded by anger and I heard Nao's speech about how useless and pathetic men were I despised her and everything about her. She made me sick to my stomach.

However, upon learning about what happened to her and how her own family disowned her and sent her to an orphanage, its pretty understandable that she would turn into what she is.

So what I'm getting at is. I'm not her biggest fan in the world but I at least feel sorry for what she's gone through.

Somewhere in Nao's heart, she knew that statement of hers wasn't true. She could tell the difference between the perverted virgins/creepers from the men with dignity (Reito, Tate, Kazuya etc.)

Hmm, surprised she never tried to get in Ishigami's pants...for payment. Nao Yuuki

_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38480
Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by hildebrant on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
hildebrant wrote:I'm just going to get straight to the point. When I first started this series, back when I was pretty much blinded by anger and I heard Nao's speech about how useless and pathetic men were I despised her and everything about her. She made me sick to my stomach.

However, upon learning about what happened to her and how her own family disowned her and sent her to an orphanage, its pretty understandable that she would turn into what she is.

So what I'm getting at is. I'm not her biggest fan in the world but I at least feel sorry for what she's gone through.

Somewhere in Nao's heart, she knew that statement of hers wasn't true. She could tell the difference between the perverted virgins/creepers from the men with dignity (Reito, Tate, Kazuya etc.)

Hmm, surprised she never tried to get in Ishigami's pants...for payment. Nao Yuuki


That is true that Nao did know the good guys from the bad ones, and only went after legit scumbags. I'm also slightly leaning towards her more after finding out that her child is based off of a creature from the Lovecraft mythos. Being the Lovecraft fanboy that I am.




hildebrant
Coral student
Coral student

Posts : 644
Bubuzuke points : 888
Armitage GUTS!!! : 233
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 33
Location : The sunken City of R'Lyehh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:03 pm

hildebrant wrote:I'm also slightly leaning towards her more after finding out that her child is based off of a creature from the Lovecraft mythos. Being the Lovecraft fanboy that I am.

Heh! It appears I meet another fan of the Cthulhu tales. Or should we refer it as 'The Julia tales'. nao lick

_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38480
Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by hildebrant on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
hildebrant wrote:I'm also slightly leaning towards her more after finding out that her child is based off of a creature from the Lovecraft mythos. Being the Lovecraft fanboy that I am.

Heh! It appears I meet another fan of the Cthulhu tales. Or should we refer it as 'The Julia tales'. nao lick


Yup, heck my location is a reference to something in one of Lovecraft's stories. It surprised me that one of the Childs would be based off of a creature from the Mythos, but its also mainly because I just pay more attention to Lovecraft's main names like Cthulhu, Dagon, Hastur and Nyarlathotep. Probably because Julia is based off of an elder God created by someone who just contributed to Lovecraft's works and not the master himself

hildebrant
Coral student
Coral student

Posts : 644
Bubuzuke points : 888
Armitage GUTS!!! : 233
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 33
Location : The sunken City of R'Lyehh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by MissSoccerNinja on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:40 am

The post I agree with most is Lerena's. My general thoughts on a few posts are:
Lerena wrote:
Additionally, how was she able to attack anyone in the amount of pain she was in? Forgetting the script for a second it would take ages for someone to develop that much pain tolerance. Chances are she hasn't had that kind of training, so realistically she would be on the floor writhing in severe pain and torment. I'm just going off on a limb here, because I highly suspect that in the middle of a large war getting your eye shot isn't grounds to stop fighting. Sorry if I gave anyone nasty images. I understand why she would want to hurt people in a state like that, but how would she have been able to? I know this is anime, so screw logic, but seriously?.

I'm no doctor or mental health professional, but I think that psychological factors could explain this. If somebody is in a certain state of mind, they may be able to block out pain to accomplish a goal. I believe Nao Yuuki could have very likely been in such a state of mind. She seemed mentally unstable to some degree.

Lerena wrote:Of course, given that this is anime, I will try to put up with anime logic for a few seconds. She also steals, which on its own is not a good way to obtain money. There are better ways to get something than to steal to get it.

A lot of plot holes have already been pointed out, so I can't point out her age being an issue. However, even if she legitimately asked to get a job I do have to express my doubts that she would have been able to get one. This isn't to defend Nao; it's only to point out that she's probably too young to be allowed a chance to work..

I agree, Nao's method of making money wasn't right, but it's unfair to compare her to Mai if Nao wasn't old enough to get a job. I cut Nao some slack on this issue, because, there really aren't many methods for kids and young teens to make serious money (like enough to pay for food and clothes). Especially a shady character like Nao, who (as far as we know) has no social connections in the community (so an adult friend/ business-owner couldn't pay her under the table or something).

Another point I realized about this: Why didn't Mashiro help out with Nao's financial issues? Fuuka Academy gives out scholarships, but are they just for tuition? We already know that food on campus isn't free (as evidenced by the scene where Mai comments to Chie about the food there being expensive), so why shouldn't there be financial aid to students who are unable to support themselves? Thinking about it, that seems like a plot hole to me.

In some ways, Nao has it worse than Natsuki. If I recall correctly, Natsuki recieves money from her dad. (This is probably how she can afford the apartment she lived in.) Natsuki's dad may be a faceless jerk, but, at least she has one. Nao's dad is dead. To my knowledge, she has no familial or financial support (other than the scholarship).

Lerena wrote:Her kidnapping of Natsuki is also not very intelligent of her. Why did she not learn the first time? If If someone beat me in a fight I wouldn't go out of my way to kidnap the same person again just for vengeance. That would be stupid, so in a way I have to criticize that too. She's not very intelligent when she's hurt.

Agreed. I think Nao is fairly smart, but definitely not when she's hurt or overly angry.

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Nao isn't the type of person to let grudges go. Case and point, her reaction to seeing Shizuru Fujino alive and well again:



Add that to the list of things I don't like about Nao. Kuga took the brave plunge to forgive her dear friend, Nao should of too, for the sake of ridding herself of any bitter hatred that makes her sick. ^^;

Wait! Nao tolerated Shizuru enough to attend Post-Carnival get-togethers...



Caaaaan you feel
the tension toniiiiight~

I think that Natsuki forgiving Shizuru is a different concept from Nao forgiving Shizuru. If Nao never forgave Shizuru, I wouldn't blame her at all for it. In fact, I love Shizuru, but, I think that Nao and Yukino should not forgive Shizuru easily. Yes, Shizuru violated Natsuki's trust (and Natsuki to a degree (opinions range from just the kiss, to light touches, to full on rape)), but, Shizuru essentially, violently killed the people that meant the most to Nao and Yukino. If somebody easily forgave somebody for that, I would pity them greatly (I'd envy them, but I would not think that they're smart at all). In addition, she was going to hurt/kill Nao (if Natsuki hadn't stopped her). I don't blame Nao at all for being mad and at least wary of the person who committed a violent crime against her.

The situation of the carnival is different (many hime committed terrible and uncharacteristic acts), so I think that the hime could very well all get along again eventually, but, I think that it would be reasonable for Nao and Yukino to have a hard time forgiving Shizuru.

Also, Shizuru is on Natsuki's side. She cares about Natsuki, and would probably never do anything violent or malicious to her. On the other hand, she has already hurt Nao. Nao has been Shizuru's enemy- something I think would be quite frightening (even if Shizuru is of sound mind). I love Shizuru, but I would be certain to never bother her again if I were to get on her bad side. Unlike Natsuki, anyone but Natsuki doesn't have the luxury of being loved unconditionally by Shizuru (excluding Shizuru's parents possibly, or her future children).



As for the things I don't like about Nao:

I think she's a shady character. If I were to meet somebody like her in real life, I'd be instantly wary of them. The way she talks, the way she acts, her attitude, are all things that would put me on edge. She's a "bad girl" type. And not in the benign way like Natsuki is. (I like to refer to Natsuki as a "badass.") Natsuki is bad, but I couldn't see her manipulating people. Which brings me to my next point.

Nao manipulates people. Even people who aren't scumbags.This is seen when she manipulates the innocent Mikoto, when she manipulates Mai, and when she manipulates Shizuru. From past experience, I've become very wary and biased toward people who I even sense could be manipulative. This is why Nao's particular brand of shadiness would put me on edge (even if I hadn't known about her manipulating others. If I did know, I'd be wary of her even before I met her).
Nao's a smart individual. In addition, she likes to get what she wants. She has her own agenda. The past three things could also be said about Shizuru. Shizuru would be even more "dangerous" in this sense (especially with her intelligence and mask). However, Shizuru doesn't use her powers for evil. She can get what she wants, but I don't think that that would involve anybody but herself and possibly the people she cares about. (For example, she could convince the Student Council to serve free tea in the cafeteria, or to have a teacher work-day that happens to be on Natsuki's birthday). Shizuru just sort of does her own thing; if you don't bother her, she won't bother you (like Natsuki, "benign"). Nao seems like the kind of person who would pick on/mess with people for fun (if you have the misfortune of catching her interest).

MissSoccerNinja
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Posts : 277
Bubuzuke points : 479
Armitage GUTS!!! : 188
Join date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by SpiralDasher on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:33 am

MissSoccerNinja wrote:Another point I realized about this: Why didn't Mashiro help out with Nao's financial issues? Fuuka Academy gives out scholarships, but are they just for tuition? We already know that food on campus isn't free (as evidenced by the scene where Mai comments to Chie about the food there being expensive), so why shouldn't there be financial aid to students who are unable to support themselves? Thinking about it, that seems like a plot hole to me.

If Nao was put up for adoption by her family after spending all her family's money, I think the should be government is responsible for paying for stuff like that! (I don't know for sure though, but it seems right to me, unless the orphanage gets money from donations?) Even though, shouldn't the government pay the school for things like that! Why isn't Mashiro getting money for Nao!!

The point is, Nao's too young to legally get her own money so in reality, she shouldn't have to! That's where the government steps in! FRAAAAAH!! What the fuhk, anime?! WHAT THE FU--

*Technical Difficulties sign pops up while elevator music plays*

... -coughs- Sorry, I think my mind melted for a second there. Anyway.

MissSoccerNinja wrote:If Nao never forgave Shizuru, I wouldn't blame her at all for it. In fact, I love Shizuru, but, I think that Nao and Yukino should not forgive Shizuru easily. Yes, Shizuru violated Natsuki's trust (and Natsuki to a degree (opinions range from just the kiss, to light touches, to full on rape)), but, Shizuru essentially, violently killed the people that meant the most to Nao and Yukino.In addition, she was going to hurt/kill Nao (if Natsuki hadn't stopped her). I don't blame Nao at all for being mad and at least wary of the person who committed a violent crime against her.

If you remember in the blue-ray special, both Nao and Yukino are still wary of Shizuru. I don't remember the specifics, but I think Nao is still plotting revenge on Shizuru?

SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Posts : 755
Bubuzuke points : 1203
Armitage GUTS!!! : 400
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 25
Location : On an island.

View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/~littledemoninside

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:58 pm

SpiralDasher wrote:If you remember in the blue-ray special, both Nao and Yukino are still wary of Shizuru. I don't remember the specifics, but I think Nao is still plotting revenge on Shizuru?

Mai HiME OVA Special: Kuro no Mai Saigo no Bansan



Don't think Ninja-chan ever saw the special. Good opportunity, no? :3

We should plot revenge on the Kaichou...

Shizuru Kaichou : If you must...fufufu~

_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38480
Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by MissSoccerNinja on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 pm

SpiralDasher wrote:If you remember in the blue-ray special, both Nao and Yukino are still wary of Shizuru. I don't remember the specifics, but I think Nao is still plotting revenge on Shizuru?

Ah, yes. I remember the blue-ray special now. It was funny. X3
True, Nao did seem vindictive.

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:We should plot revenge on the Kaichou...

Shizuru Kaichou : If you must...fufufu~

Careful! That's some dangerous business! In addition to Shizuru being awesome, she also has ninja allies. ;P =]

MissSoccerNinja
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Posts : 277
Bubuzuke points : 479
Armitage GUTS!!! : 188
Join date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:36 am

MissSoccerNinja wrote:Ah, yes. I remember the blue-ray special now. It was funny. X3
True, Nao did seem vindictive.

I guess 'Kannin na' isn't the best apology in the world. Shizuru Fujino

MissSoccerNinja wrote:Careful! That's some dangerous business! In addition to Shizuru being awesome, she also has ninja allies. ;P =]

>:3 What?! I am not scared of Shizuru and her ninja allies. What's she gonna go? Send tea drinking ninjas after me? Nao Yuuki

_________________
Mai-X-Project

The law of physics: Whenever there's this much gay in one room, Shizuru manifests!
When Shizuru said "Ara" for the first time, the "Ara" broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Posts : 38480
Bubuzuke points : 42151
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2496
Join date : 2010-05-01
Age : 30
Location : Garderobe Academy

View user profile http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What don't you like about Nao Yuuki's character?

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:38 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum